Find
Notify
Tools

About the top lever...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
I noticed that in many pictures the levers that open the action look a little bit to the right instead of being well centered.

Why is this ???

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Simply put to allow for wear.

Generally the closer to center (or past) the closer to bottomed out and eventually "off face" the rifle is.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Simply put to allow for wear.

Generally the closer to center (or past) the closer to bottomed out and eventually "off face" the rifle is.

Kyler

Kyler is right it is mainly to allow for wear, but it is more the wear of the third fastener, than the underlugging. The third fastener which is usually an extended rib, that is dirrectly engaged by an extention off the top lever. As these two mateing surfaces wear, the top lever moves farther toward center! Some top levers are made that way, not for wear, but to make the lever more redily accesable to the right handed shooter, and vice versa for the left handed shooter. However this is much rarer than to take up wear!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I had wondered about that. When I got my 45-70 Pedersoli Double, the top lever was definitely off to the right somewhat when the gun was locked up. It has now moved more toward center as I have used it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much gentlemen.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey guys,
in this same vane, when closing your double, do you hold the lever over then close the barrels then push the lever back to the left or do you just snap the barrels closed?

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
hey guys,
in this same vane, when closing your double, do you hold the lever over then close the barrels then push the lever back to the left or do you just snap the barrels closed?

That is a legitimate question, and the answer is, it depends on what is happening at the time! By that I mean if you simply asembling rifle , the drill is to hold the lever, and close the rifle,gently, then release the lever. Cool

If the rifle needs to be opened in close proximity to animals like Elephant,or Buffalo, to load, or change the load, in the rifle , the the lever is held so as to not make any little "CLICKS". One word of caution here, if you want to carry your double rifle unloaded till the last minute, you should break the rifle open, then close it again, on empty chambers, to cock the action. This avoids clicks, and snapps whan you get ready to load. These clicks, and snapps are the action cocking the locks, and the ejectors if the rifle has them. Once cocked the rifle can be opened in complete silence. thumb

NOW! If reloading durring a charge,or for quick follow-up shots, right, or wrong, I slam the rifle shut as soon as the chambers are filled! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
thanks for the reply. Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote