Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140-1.1
 Login/Join

posted
A local gun dealer has a NIB Merkel 140-1.1 that I am considering for my next rifle acquisition. It is in caliber 9.3X74R. This particular rifle was manufactured in 1998 and has been sitting on the dealer’s shelf for the past nine years. If I recall correctly, it was regulated with RWS 16 gram (247 grain) ammunition. The factory test target shows six shots at 100 meters in a perfectly centered grouping of about 1.5 inches. The receiver has been engraved with game scenes, and it has ejectors. The rifle weighs about 8 to 8.5 pounds. The price is $7,500.

Questions:

Is this a fair price for the rifle?

Given it was regulated for 16 gram ammunition, what results can I expect to get with respect to accuracy and regulation if I want to use 286 grain +/- loads.

Thanks for your input.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Considering the rifle has been on the shelf for 9 years, I think you can do better. For refrence I believe tomo577 has a newer version rifle complete with scope and claw mounts for not much more $$. Another option would be a Chapuis which can be had new in the same caliber for about $4500. Good luck with what ever you decide.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveT:
A local gun dealer has a NIB Merkel 140-1.1 that I am considering for my next rifle acquisition. It is in caliber 9.3X74R. This particular rifle was manufactured in 1998 and has been sitting on the dealer’s shelf for the past nine years. If I recall correctly, it was regulated with RWS 16 gram (247 grain) ammunition. The factory test target shows six shots at 100 meters in a perfectly centered grouping of about 1.5 inches. The receiver has been engraved with game scenes, and it has ejectors. The rifle weighs about 8 to 8.5 pounds. The price is $7,500.

Questions:

Is this a fair price for the rifle?

Given it was regulated for 16 gram ammunition, what results can I expect to get with respect to accuracy and regulation if I want to use 286 grain +/- loads.

Thanks for your input.

I have this rifle only it is the 140E which is the same rifle, but has a case colored action, and only scroll engraving. The "E" simply stands for Ejectors, and it is a 140-1

The rifle was regulated with the same ammo as the one you are looking at, but it shoots just about anything you can drop in the chambers. My rifle weighs 8.3 lbs, and handles like a fine up-land gun. This is one double rifle I will never sell, because it has become my favorite rifle for North America, and is my light rifle in Africa, with another Merkel double rifle, a 470NE Safari 140-2.

The price is a little high, but you may get them to go down on it some because they have had it so long. I can gurantee you they didn't pay very much for it. I bought mine BRAND NEW back in 2001 for $4695. So if they have had it very long their cost was less than what I paid for sure! The one problem is, this model is no longer imported into the USA, and it is a very popular chambering, and the configuration of this rifle is far more CLASSIC ENGLISH than the new models. There is nothing wrong with the new models, but they simply look a little BLAZER to me with the space age sights, and 1" shorther barrels, as well as weighing less, and even the 8.3 lb rifle absolutely needs a good recoil pad installed. The hog back can be made streight backed with very little work, if that bothers you.

Finally, I can tell you you would not get mine for any $7500, but you can do better with these guys, if you will just do a little bargaining. Good luck, and welcome in advance to the DRSS!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaveT,

The price is way too high. Ken Bush has them for $5100-5400 depending on the exchange rate.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I will see if I can negotiate a lower price. I really would like to own this gun. It fits me perfectly and balances very nicely.

posted Hide Post
Corbin,
Do you have contact information for Ken Bush?
If he has exactly the same model with the same features, it seems that would be a great deal.
DaveT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken still has a couple Chapuis and has more coming but they will cost more than these. The dollar was stronger when he bought the ones he has now. He's putting together an order for Siace first of the year with summer delivery. That'll be my next 9.3. The Chapuis is a nice light rifle. the Merkel is a tad heavier and I like that you can't go wrong with either. I don't get the price of the Merkel tho, too high. One just went on GB for about $4800.

www.kebcollc.com

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote