THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle at Collector's in Houston ....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle at Collector's in Houston ....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know anything about a Westley Richards double rifle (577/450) for sale at Collector's in Houston ...... condition, about the calibre, etc. ??? Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1583 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Personally I would never again step foot in Collector's Firearms.Knowing fully they are over priced. I went in with $5,000.00 in hand to buy either a Wilson or Baer .45. While I stood there every salesman in the place went out of their way asking my wife if she needed help while blowing me off. (She got tired of standing next to me and started looking around)

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's old, pre-1887 IIRC. Chambered for the .577/.450 Martini-Henry (85 grains black, 480 grain lead bullet). This was the old British military cartridge. The barrels remain beautifully struck and the brown finish is very nice. There's some pitting in the bores, but it will probably still shoot OK. The gun is off face. It's been there a while, so maybe they'll deal.

Yeah, you have to know who to speak to there. Ask for Ray Heathcock. He works the area of the store where that gun is, and is nice guy.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much ...... I am not personally interested in the rifle, but a friend from here in West Va. is currently working in Houston, and called me concerning the piece. Any idea what a fair price would be, in view of (a) Collector's is typically overpriced, & (b) it'll be at least $500. to have the rifle put back on face ??? Thanks for any input.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1583 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
For those interested HERE'S a link to what I think is the gun and a few photos:

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 12x12x30-06 Sauer Drilling and a 22 Browning take down semi-auto, and some odds and ends at Collectors in Houston and I liked the place and the people.
I would do business with them again.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote