New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took the Rigby's out for a run. Both hammer Jones underlevers. I shot the 450 3 1/4 Nitro first with my Kynoch and Superior 480 Woodleighs, both soft and solids. This was my second outing and, for some reason, recoil seemed a little stouter. I shoot from a standing rest utilizing a crossbar which I normally rest my schuetzen rifles on when shooting off-hand. Groups from this standing rest went into 1.6 inches at 100 yards. Shoots dead on, no 6 o'clock hold. Now, what you will not believe, and I will never be able to duplicate, is the .230 left-right group off-hand at 100 yards with no rest. I was tickled to death. Don't know how it happened but loved it. So did the other guys watching (shooting their new fangled single barreled rifles with bolts). I went ahead and let them fire a couple of rounds. Did have one dud from the Kynoch. First one. Second gun up was the new acquired 450-400 3 1/4 BPE. Looks like it's daddy only smaller. Perfect bores. They slug at .406 and I had Larry from Superior make up 270 grains and 235 grain Hawk bullet Nitro for Black loads. I loaded 255 grain cast lead lubricated with SPG over 44 grains of 4198 for my NFB load. The 270 grains were least consistent at 100 yards. These Hawk bullets are straight sided jacketed softs and they printed 3/4 inch at 50 yards a little high and right and 1.9 widest group at 100 yards. The interesting thing is that they also printed high and right of point of aim at 100 yards as did the 235 grain Hawks. Could this be due to friction of straight sided jacketed bullets staying in the bore loner and flying in the direction of recoil? The lead tapered bullets were dead on at 50 yards with two groups going inside each other with persect horizontal left-right. Groups were like .490 and .675. I think they exited the bore quicker due to the tapered shape and lead composition. Would I be right in this assumption? 100 yard groups are .975 and 1.1. I think I like this gun. And to think I wanted to trade them for a modern double! The 450-400 was made around 1895 and the 450 3 1/4 Nitro in 1903. I'm sticking to lead in the 450-400 and, God willing, will get drawn on Wednesday for elk in New Mexico. If I can figure how to do it I'll post the groups.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
Congrats, Looks like you've got a couple of keepers there!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Dutch!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Maybe you just moved the rifle a wee bit and shot a real tight group...However you do know that you have the ability to shoot it well and it will shoot there if you do your part..

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. You may be correct on moving the rifle. The 450-400 recoils similar to a 45-70 with those Federal 300 grainers in an 8lb rifle. I fully expect it to great work on Elk. Will know tomorrow if I get picked for the Ruidoso area in New Mexico. Sure wish these girls could talk.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe when you figure out how to post pics of the groups, you could post pics of the rifles, too. Wink

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote