Find
Notify
Tools

FOR YOU 577 FANS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I found this in a magazine article the other day featured in the Sports Afield Anniversary issue. Stewart Granger was one of my favorite actors and with his tastes in guns and hunting I like him eve more now!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Stuff thanks Jorge

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You could have knocked me down with a feather, Jorge. Much as I've enjoyed watching his films, I saw Granger on Parkinson once and couldn't believe how fruity he seemed.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I wonder who the caretaker of this rifle is now?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mike: I forget who owns it now but it was at Westley Richards' booth in Dallas in January and I saw the rifle. A true treasure. I did a story for the African Hunter on Granger's film, King Solomon's Mines. I can run you a copy if you wish.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thank You. That would be interesting reading!There's no rush because of my overseas trip soon.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
You could have knocked me down with a feather, Jorge. Much as I've enjoyed watching his films, I saw Granger on Parkinson once and couldn't believe how fruity he seemed.

What does "on Parkinson" mean? and I don't think Deborah Kerr shared your views...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and thanks for posting.

"On Parkinson" refers to a British TV journalist and author / Interviewer called Michael Parkinson who did some very very good interviews on his chat show with a whole range of people over a long period.

Considered one of the best if not the best chat show hosts as he always seemed to be able to get the best out of the people hard when mst are celebrities) and make it humorous / funny and very enjoyable to watch.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jorge, great post. I love to discover that a film hero was the real deal.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am glad to read this about Granger. I, too, always figured he was probably fruity in real life and just acting like a regular fellow. He did "effete" (see him as the king-to-be in "Prisoner of Zenda") a bit too well, lol.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
:::SIGH:::

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

What's with the :::SIGH::: ???????

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Great story and thanks for posting.

"On Parkinson" refers to a British TV journalist and author / Interviewer called Michael Parkinson who did some very very good interviews on his chat show with a whole range of people over a long period.

Considered one of the best if not the best chat show hosts as he always seemed to be able to get the best out of the people hard when mst are celebrities) and make it humorous / funny and very enjoyable to watch.

Thanks for the explanation, I did not know what Perkison's was. As to the :::SIGH::: this whole Granger was a homo just got under my skin. Often-times people confuse demeanor and the dumber ones ACTING for a person's orientation. Besides, who gives a rat's ass. I just wanted to post what I thought (TO ME) an interesting article on one of my favorite actors.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it, Jorge. If I had another Westley built then it would be the single-trigger .577 at 12.5lbs.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Stewart was married to this beauty....

Whatever the guy had great taste.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

I wouldn't expect an American to know who Parkinson was as I don't think the shows made
it over there.

As to the "gay" jibe, I missed that as I didn't
understand what "fruity" meant !

His wife was a stunner.

He was married 3 times in all.

Anyway, not bad for a Limey !!!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Obviously the man had great taste in women and firearms and I bet autos as well! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kino Springs Golf Course in Nogales, AZ was originally the Yerba Buena ranch, owned by none other that Stewart Granger and Jeanne Simmons. John Wayne was such a frequent visitor to the ranch that Granger built him a special cottage, now called, for some strange reason, John Wayne's cabin. It is still there, along with Granger's hacienda. If only walls could talk!!!!

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote