Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, Happy Day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I took my brand new Verney-Carron .375 H&H Flanged Magnum to my lease yesterday with some new ammo that I bought at clearance from Midway. Norma 300 grain Woodleigh softs (for which the gun was regulated) and Nosler 300 grain solids.

How's this for 4 shots, 2 of each load, less than three seconds between right and left, then a couple of minutes and the other load. The distance was 50 yards and I was standing and just resting my elbows over the box on the back of my pickup.

I shot some more and found the skinny barrels needed to be pretty "cool" or the shots began to string vertically... but, hopefully, I won't be in a war or anything.

I love my rifle!!! Big Grin

BTW, I've got to take a course on putting my targets upright instead of canted.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great, congrats!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah right

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Big Grin

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Looking good, Judge!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge;

That is beautiful regulation. You must be very happy over this fine work by VC.

How thick are the barrel walls at the muzzle; about .100" maybe?

My guess that from a bench rest and at 100 yards your .375 flanged will place holes in the target nearly the same distance as at at 50 yards. Let us know. The .375 flanged is a wonderful cartridge.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Looking good Judge! The lions will be shouting to each other "Look out, Heah comes de judge wif his double rifle!"

......................................................................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Earnest. Your foray into the .375 Flanged Mag realm has caused some of the rest of us to take the plunge as well. The more I think about the .375 Flanged the more sense it makes. A scoped .375 Flanged basically supplants the need to take a bolt action rifle to Africa. With a .375 Flanged as your "light" gun and another double as the "heavy" you are good for anything.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, have you concocted handloads that match the factory loads?

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great shooting Ernest.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
JudgeG, have you concocted handloads that match the factory loads?

Cheers,

Chris

Not yet, but if I buy the dies, etc. I'll bet Jorge will volunteer a Saturday to get it done!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler Thanks

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet Jorge will volunteer a Saturday to get it done!

Say when...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting Judge, I reckon there is not an animal on earth you couldn't take with that rifle.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote