THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The best of times and the worst of times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best of times and the worst of times
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need shoulders to cry on. Yesterday I received my brand spanking new Heym 450/400 PH double. Obviously the best of times. Today I went to move it to a more secure location in my gun safe and it tipped over and the way it landed on the carpeted floor cracked the butt stock in the wrist area. Now that was the worst of times. I have a talent beating up guns but this might be a new record. It will probably be a very expensive repair since my conversation with Chris (New Guy) convinced me a new second set of 450/3&1/4 barrels could be added while the butt stock is being replaced. Additionally we will modify the barrel to use the Docter red dot sight. What a day!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Ouch!!!! Eeker

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
No greater love hath a man than to add 450 3 1/4 barrels to his double rifle while it is being repaired!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!! is correct Frowner

Some days you need to stay in bed.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow

That smarts.
What's worse is the wait!

You need to embrace your inner masochist.
That may be the only thing that gets you through this trying event...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn't in the tent on the eve before a Jumbo hunt!

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
To me, it sounds like there was a silver lining in that dark cloud!

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Bummer... Frowner

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
you are spot on,behind every dark cloud there is a silver lining,damn I would love to get a second set of barrels for my guns!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
No greater love hath a man than to add 450 3 1/4 barrels to his double rifle while it is being repaired!

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I need shoulders to cry on. Yesterday I received my brand spanking new Heym 450/400 PH double. Obviously the best of times. Today I went to move it to a more secure location in my gun safe and it tipped over and the way it landed on the carpeted floor cracked the butt stock in the wrist area. Now that was the worst of times. I have a talent beating up guns but this might be a new record. It will probably be a very expensive repair since my conversation with Chris (New Guy) convinced me a new second set of 450/3&1/4 barrels could be added while the butt stock is being replaced. Additionally we will modify the barrel to use the Docter red dot sight. What a day!!!

LJS,

Let me get this straight, it fell over onto a carpeted floor and that cracked the butt stock? Something ain't right I wonder if the wood had a flaw in it?

In any case sorry for your troubles.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

jumping

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19365 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike: Yes it just tipped over on its side on carpet. There is not another mark on the gun. I was stunned when I saw the crack!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS

Might as well have a set of shotgun barrels fitted for it as well. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
had a brand new model 94' 15years ago and did the same exact thing......though it did have pour grain layout through the wrist.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Ouch!!!!!!! That hurts. It hurts even more since you just got it. At least it can be fixed and nobody died.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surestrike: Yes it just tipped over on its side on carpet. There is not another mark on the gun. I was stunned when I saw the crack!

Like I said something just isn't right there. That wood had to have had a flaw of some kind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

LJS,

Let me get this straight, it fell over onto a carpeted floor and that cracked the butt stock? Something ain't right I wonder if the wood had a flaw in it?

In any case sorry for your troubles.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
If there was a flaw in the wood, it should have been uncovered in the 60+ times it was fired at the factory when it was regulated.

Lou - I understood from our conversation that the rifle fell to the floor? Was it laying on the floor and the stock tipped over (falling the lenght of the recoil pad) and that cracked it?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grain of the wood is perfect for a double rifle. The problem was me being a dumb ass and not being more careful where I put it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The grain of the wood is perfect for a double rifle. The problem was me being a dumb ass and not being more careful where I put it!

Well then go ahead and punish yourself badly, get the shotgun bbls as well. I handled a Heym with a set of shotgun bbls and it was nice.

In fact I would rather have a 450/400 with a set of shotgun barrels than an extra set of 450 3 1/4" bbls.

The Shotgun bbls would be great for the smaller antelope, cats, other varmints and for guinea fowl.

If I had the money, I would fly to Zimbabwe tommorrow, to shoot and eat Guinea foul, and a "few" elephants, of course.

S I am "growing" some Guinea Foul here in my place. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets call this Chapter II. I talked further with New Guy and we concluded a second set of barrels might not be such a great idea if and when the time comes to sell the new toy. So, into the safe I went and headed for Hendershots with an arm load of safe queens. A new Heym 450 3 1/4 followed me home. My god these double rifles are more addictive than heroin!!! I'm on my way home planning the next one. I think I need help!!! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...double rifles are more addictive than heroin!!!

Heeeey, that's MY line!!! Big Grin

The cracking of this piece of wood happening
in the described manner sounds too weird.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen junkies take the downward spiraling route, I've seen guys plunge into high-grade valuable firearms.

The guys who took the path of iron and wood have all ended up in a much better place.

quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
...double rifles are more addictive than heroin!!!
Heeeey, that's MY line!!! Big Grin

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
murphy must love you. Frowner hyem wood I have seen was very good and the one i have shot gives me a woody toooooo shocker murphys law gets all of use sooner or later

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
If there was a flaw in the wood, it should have been uncovered in the 60+ times it was fired at the factory when it was regulated.

You should think that to be the case! But a side load is a much different animal than a straight on one as in recoil.

I am NOT trying to assign any blame here I am just wondering exactly how that could happen with a healthy piece of wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There can be a cam action that takes place between the barrels and the stock. The barrels greatly outweigh the buttstock and if this takes place the stock can break, though rarely.

It also happens inside gun cases though slightly different scenario of physics, yet similar.

I imagine the gunsafe was elevated a few inches higher than the floor and so the barrels dropped below the line of the buttstocks resting point...Hinge and then a snap back. The weight of those barrels was then displaced through the gun and snapped at the wrist.
As surestrike mentioned, it was a different stress than a recoil.

It is a rare break.

LJS, sorry for your loss. If you need wood, give me a call...Half price (on some blanks) for your suffering.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AFreeman

Nice offer. I have seen some of your wood, very nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as though everything has worked out really good!