Tools

Beautiful VC 500
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Beautiful over-the-top VC. Would sure like to see something like this at DSC:
CustomVC500

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Dang… That one is pretty. Only the French; Right?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Italians too.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't on that level, but I have had one or two "really nice" guns. I wound up selling them because you couldn't hunt with either. Too much danger of getting a scratch or signs of wear.

In fact, the final straw was when I discovered you couldn't even take one out of the safe to admire it.

I took it out, propped it up against the wall and walked into another room for some reason and the safe's heavy door slowly swung to on its own. And the edge of that door clobbered the stock. A very nice scratch now glared at me from that gorgeous European walnut.

..and of course it was touch and go for a while...but I finally got over it...

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Italians too.

Italians are excellent craftsman, however, my recent experience with an Italian double has shaken my confidence in their construction. I'm sure mine was just a fluke, but I won't take the chance again.

I have no desire to own a double so beautiful that I would be too afraid to hunt with… So even if I had the means, I'd probably just stick with my Merks...

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
While I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that rifle I hate any carving on a stock other than nice checkering.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
While I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that rifle I have any carving on a stock other than nice checkering.

+1
Although the rifle is clearly a work of art, I think the stock carving gives it a bit of a cuckoo clock look. I have a V-C Imperial on the way, but it is far less resplendent than the rifle pictured. The engraving on mine is fine scroll with an elephant done in bulino style on the floor plate - no gold animal inlays.
To each his own, I guess.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
While I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that rifle I have any carving on a stock other than nice checkering.

+1
Although the rifle is clearly a work of art, I think the stock carving gives it a bit of a cuckoo clock look. I have a V-C Imperial on the way, but it is far less resplendent than the rifle pictured. The engraving on mine is fine scroll with an elephant done in bulino style on the floor plate - no gold animal inlays.

+2

I agree 100% with both Mac and Admiral Dave. That rifle is certainly a work of art, but I've never developed a taste for carvings on the stock other than checkering. That and the fact that once again, we have a fine and beautiful double rifle completely ruined with that most hideous of abominations going directly against the intent of a weapon of this type ... the beavertail fore-end! barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd sure hate to be the gunbearer for someone that owns a gun like that. That would be a stressful job. Pretty piece, in spite of the carving.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

+1

+2

I agree 100% with both Mac and Admiral Dave.

"The fact that once again, we have a fine and beautiful double rifle completely ruined with that most hideous of abominations going directly against the intent of a weapon of this type ... the beavertail fore-end! barf

............................ tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That carved stock does not do much for me either, but it sure would be fun to have enough cash to buy this rifle and that jewel encrusted Westley Richards India rifle in 600. One to keep in my truck and the other one for my boat!

WR India Rifle http://www.theexplora.com/west...s-the-india-rifle-2/

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like everything except the precious stones. Eeker Bet that buttplate will leave a nice imprint of the peacock!

Love em or hate em, the state of the art of fine gunmaking is better than ever.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
No B/T forends for me, and wood carving would need
to be strictly supervised by me to be acceptable, as I
would enjoy just a very small amount, very small.
(nice checkering of course, is a must)

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tooo much bling. Ruined a perfectly good DR.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a big world. I agree its not for the US market but it showcases the work they can do. I will bet based on past experience that it already has a home in the mid east or Russia.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world's top gunmakers have been building pieces like this for many years to showcase what they could do. They used to exhibit them at the events like the World Fairs.

The new Shooting Sportsman features a similar over the top Greener.

They don't appeal to me as a gun that I'd like to use, but I'd sure like to own one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
I've shot 3 ele and 1 buff with my VC 500. It performed beautifully and shoots well. It certainly isn't "crap" as you say.
I have in fact ordered and will receive my VC 600 next month. It will be coming with me to Zim for a double ele hunt with Blake and CM safaris in August.

So yeah, it ain't crap and many of us have used our VC's in Africa with great success.

Yiasou

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Beautiful over-the-top VC. Would sure like to see something like this at DSC:
CustomVC500

I will bet there will be some nice rifles at Dallas. See the displays on the Custom gunmakers row. I know Doug Turnbull will be back there. Plus all the name makers and our friends on hear.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote