New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention getter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank my Alaskan brethren for avoiding the "Danger Zone!" I can hear Kenny Loggins singing in Canada right now as the Grand PooBaa sits in his foil lined undies broadcasting his knowledge upon us.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
MacD37 & Todd,

Thanks for your assistance. I am not happy. And I am screwed. The Merkel goes to africa as is. I can't understand why the Merkel gunsmith would return the rifle to me in this condition, when the trigger placement was the primary reason I sent it to him. When I looked at Beau's Merkel the triggers were off-set.

My 458B&M is going as well and it is a proven Ele killer.

I'll have to deal with Merkel when I return.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, I feel your pain.

Several years ago, when the first batch of Merkel double rifles with ejectors was imported into the USA, Danny Spahn at GSI talked me into the last one of the batch, a 500NE. I was going to take it to Zim on an ele hunt. This was my first ever double rifle.

Got the rifle late summer, worked up regulation loads single loading it (key point) and it worked just fine. Put it away for the wretched Midwest winter.

Spring rolls around and took it to the range to work on some speed drills. It doubled first time I loaded two barrels. I then single loaded each barrel and looked at the opposite barrel cocking indicator after firing. It doubled no matter which barrel was fired.

Back to Herbert it goes, time is running out.
He looks at it, says it's OK, says don't pull the back trigger first and sends it back. Still doubles. Back it goes.

I end up taking a bolt gun on the hunt. When I get back Danny and I have a long talk. He admitted that there was a problem with the geometry between the engagement angles of the sears and the hammers and that they are waiting for replacements from Germany. After replacement, the rifle works just fine, but now I am snakebit. I end up selling it (with full disclosure) to an AR member, and it worked just fine for him.

To Danny's credit, he was very cordial during the whole process and did whatever he could to resolve the issue.

I know many folks have Merkel rifles that are very fine rifles and have given them years of faultless service. I just wish I was one of them.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
#8...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter, when you get back it would be a good idea to send the rifle to JJ at Champlin's. He will make sure the bending has not caused microscopic cracks in the triggers before he bends them.

..................................................................Good luck! I await the pictures of a 100 pounder! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Head Trauma- PM inbound to you.

Today I spoke with Danny Spann and Herbert at Merkel. My rifle has been next day air shipped to them for trigger repair/realignment (again). The plan is to get the rifle fixed and back to me by Thursday as I depart for Namibia on Friday.

I will reserve further comment at this time but will have more to say about this issue at a later date.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote