THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Banded Solids Chrony Results!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banded Solids Chrony Results!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Okay, remember I said I had picked up a box of Barnes 500 grain banded solids to try in my .470? Anyway, I had a chance to run out to the range this morning and shoot them across the chronograph. The Barnes Manual recommends IMR 4831 so that's the powder that I tried. They show a max load of 98 grains of IMR 4831 running at 2078 fps. My load was a Hornady case, CCI 250 large rifle magnum primer, 98 grains of IMR 4831 and the 500 grain banded solid. OAL of that load is 3.980. I just loaded up three rounds so I could get a baseline velocity. It was overcast and around 55 degrees here today. I was shooting to the north and there was a slight wind out of the northwest. In my Blaser S2 (Yes Biebs, the finest double in the world Wink) the three shot average was 2052 fps measured 15 feet from the muzzle but the extreme spread was 41 fps from a right, left, right (2051, 2073, 2032). There were no signs of excess pressure and my gun didn't fly apart Big Grin I think I can get a more consistent load with Reloder 15. I will try it next and post the results.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make darn sure that the barrels and the rib don't become unsoldered.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:

Not a problem

quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Pressure is just one issue. Barrel expansion is another matter entirely.

I have a little device to measure barrel expasion at the muzzle. woodleigh and Barnes give the same amount of expansion at a rifles muzzle in both .375 and .458 (sorry haven't tested other cal's yet).

Haven't tried Northforks, did try some other 'copper alloy' bullets from a big maker..02mm less expansion than woodleigh, but I don't think those will be launched commercially unless the US bannes lead or something strange.

quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
And Butch is spot on re bore size in English doubles. .375 flanged uses .373 bullets. Stick Barnes .375 bullets through an early one and you are asking for touble (all the later ones I have seen have regular .375 bores but the early ones didn't and the CIP specifications still show the smaller bore size). The .450/400's came in 5 version and 3 bore sizes. .405, .408 and .411. I would hate to stick a .411 Woodleigh or a Barnes through a .405 bore. same story with the .475's etc.

IF you have the correct size bullets for your bore, then I would be very happy shooting Barnes banded solids. NB- I tried some of their very old solid shank .458 bullets in my lott and they gave 0,01mm More expansion than woodleighs.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/272109883/p/2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
the three shot average was 2052 fps measured 15 feet from the muzzle but the extreme spread was 41 fps from a right, left, right (2051, 2073, 2032). There were no signs of excess pressure and my gun didn't fly apart Big Grin I think I can get a more consistent load with Reloder 15. I will try it next and post the results.

Jesus, splitting hairs with the "get a more consistent load" comment.

If I got that I would just go hunting - except not with a Blaser Big Grin

Did it regulate ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and make sure the rifling doesn't show on the outside of the barrel! If it does, be sure to take pictures.
I shoot GS Custom FN's in my 500/416. No rifling marks on the outside of the barrels yet.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Just a little off the subject. You have been hawking that 500 / 416 so long. What are you doing slummin' with a 470?? (LOL).

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Nothing quite like jumping right in at the MAX load ! dancing
What is that saying: " Reduce 10% and work up " Big Grin
Just yanking your chain, glad it all worked out.

Cheers

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
eezridr, the .500/.416 is the best caliber. The Blaser S2 is the best rifle. Just ask Biebs. tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:

Philip, this is a Blaser. If the barrels come loose, you can just use some bailing wire and a little duct tape to tie them back together again. Another advantage is that it is heavy enough so that if you run out of ammo you can just beat your elephant to death with it...LOLOLOL Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Philip, this is a Blaser. If the barrels come loose, you can just use some bailing wire and a little duct tape to tie them back together again. Another advantage is that it is heavy enough so that if you run out of ammo you can just beat your elephant to death with it...LOLOLOL Wink

Or just put wheels on it and you'll have a pimpmobile. Big Grin

Biebs is in Africa, so I thought I'd just fill in for him!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

Biebs is in Africa, so I thought I'd just fill in for him!

rotflmo

JudgeG, get Biebs to buy that .577 so we can shoot it!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

As I said in my second post... Wink

Philip

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave, looks like you are on the right track!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Dave,

JBM says that your muzzle velocity corrected from the 15' chrono setting is 2168.8 fps so you were only 9.2 fps less than Barnes predicted velocity.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

With all due respect; A projectile such as this is not going to slow down 110 FPS in just 5 yards. Perhaps 20 FPS at most. I think 50 yards you might see it drop 100FPS with a flat nosed profile at this initial velocity.

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Dave,

JBM says that your muzzle velocity corrected from the 15' chrono setting is 2168.8 fps so you were only 9.2 fps less than Barnes predicted velocity.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
eezridr:

I think Frank meant 2068.8 fps.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds correct / logical

quote:
eezridr:

I think Frank meant 2068.8 fps.