THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Re: Whats the story on Hawes Matador II double rifles??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Whats the story on Hawes Matador II double rifles??
 Login/Join

Picture of Shikaar
posted
Long time Lurker curious about Hawes Matador II double rifles. I have never heard of them. I have made an offer on a 500 Nitro and want to research before the purchase goes through..

thanks for any input..

Jason

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I searched and saw one on Guns America. Yeuch! It looks like what I think it actually is. An Aya Matador 10 bore shot gun re-lined with rifled tubes to 500 Nitro calibre. So the action will be made and designed for pressures of ten gauge 3 1/2" shells. I would assume that 500 Nitro is somewhat more!

The breech picture gives it away I think:

See the original shot gun ejectors and about half way up some sort of concocted ejector that goes into the rifled tubes. For $ 4,500 I'd have thought at least some sort of effort could have been made to make new ejectors rather than bastardise the original shot gun ones.

Or the muzzle:

$ 4,500? You could get a decent old English double for that from someone like Holt's or Gavin Gardiner auctions here in UK.

AYA are a reputable Spanish firm that make good shot guns. They don't make double rifles. This "thing" is a piece of sh1t IMHO. Heck it's not even a decent re-line in that the gaps appear enormous between liner and original barrel with possible rust at 1 to 2 o'clock on right hand barrel?

I'd be curious to as to just how the thing has then been regulated given that the barrels are jointed in typical shot gun style with no "square" section between them.

Hope that helps!

I wouldn't touch it with a f*cking barge pole!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of an original AYA Matador (in 12 gauge 3") as AYA made it...as a good decent strong wildfowl shot gun:

I think that I may have stated that the one in the picture is made on a 10 Bore in error. They is also an AYA Matador 12 Bore. In which case they are designed for the 3" Magnum 12 Gauge. So it might be built on a 10 or a 12.

Check the original Spanish Proof Marks under the barrel flats. Will say either 12-76 or 10-88 I think. Anyway first number will be the gauge. Second the lenth in millimetres of the cartridge.

If you search on the web AYA Matador with the words shot gun you'll find enough of them I think.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! Yes the gun store told me it was a converted 10 guage.. I will pass and keep looking..

Thanks again !!!

Jason

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote