Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal Side by Side 30-06
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings and thanks for all the information I have enjoyed from the sidelines. I finally acquired a double rifle (at least to me). Its a Baikal but its a double. Does anyone know what the rate of twist is for the 30-06? Thanks in advance

mkd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the brotherhood Mark!

You can measure twist rate with a cleaning rod and brush. Push the brush into the bore most of the length of the barrel. Make a mark on the cleaning rod right where it comes out of the bore. Withdraw the rod/brush until the rod makes one full revolution and mark the rod again. Measure between the marks and you have your twist rate.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your double ought-six. I sure enjoy the heck out of mine. If I can answer any questions don't hesitate to ask. I don't know what work has been done to yours but a gunsmith can make your triggers MUCH better. Mine started out at about 12 lbs and are about 3 now :-) I think the Russians use a construction brick for a honing stone so a little cleaning up and polishing can make it a joy.

I got some tips if you need help regulating it as well. Involves automotive feeler guages, believe it or not!

Cheers!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do know the twist rate is fast enough to stabilize Hornady 220's. They will shoot within 1 1/4 inches (one from each barrel) at 50 yards with no signs of tipping.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mr Bradshaw, thank you for the welcome and information. I have admired your side by sides here on this site as well as your website. I have hopes of owning one in the future.

BwanaCole & Snowwolfe, thank you for the welcome. The triggers are extremly heavy so I hope to remedy that in the near term. I have a couple hundred 170 gr grain Rem Corelok bullets that I was thinking about loading at 30-30 velocities, thats what prompted my question about twist. The gun is actually more than I expected in terms of shootability and accuracy. Other than the triggers my only issue is the stock design. The pistol grip seems to designed for rather large hands and is somewhat uncomfortable to me. I find myself having to reposition my hand for the second shot. I have contemplated converting it to a straight grip design and trimming the profile down to make it more comfortable. I hesitate to take this approach only because I haven't seen other double rifles with a straight grip stock although I imagine some exsist. I have a Trijicon Accu-Point 1.25-4X scope that I will mount this weekend. I have not decided on what bases to use on the gun yet, I have thought about milling two slots in the rib and installing Talley bases that I have in my shop but unsure at present. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the 30-06 and really purchased this gun with thoughts of converting it to a 30-30 Winchester, (my whitetail deer gun). Anyway that would be for the furture, again thanks for the welcome and information.

Respectfully
mkd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I've had two of the Baikal .30-06's, and traded away the last one for the same gun in .45-70. I was quite impressed with them...the accuracy and shootability is great, considering the price of the guns. I hope you find the gun as enjoyable as I have.

I cheaped out on a scope mount for my -06 guns...I used a one piece aluminum mount/ring unit that is designed and sold for use on airguns. Not attractive, but very functional. If you ever decide to try a different sight set-up, I found that the NECG peep sight designed for the Ruger rifles fits nicely on the Baikal rib. I have that on my current .45-70 gun and find it just about perfect...no gunsmithing required.

BwanaCole, I had to laugh when I read your comment about regulation using feeler gauges. One of my -06's was regulated using a pipe wrench! That's part of the charm of the Baikals...they're so...agricultural. Big Grin

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
As B. Bradshaw says it's easy to determine the rate of ywist with the method he gave you! I don't know what the rate is in your double but the normal rate for 30-06 is 1 in 10"

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

I can't help with twist but I do know of a cheap way to smooth the action and triggers.

Disassemble the rifle.
Remove butstock
Apply CLP liberally and scrub with toothbrush
Use GunScrubber to remove CLP and all the crud that was in the action.
Lube with favorite premium oil/grease.
Reassemble
Fire
Enjoy.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hizzie, I'm not the original poster on this thread, but I had to thank you for your input here. I read your post above, and immediately got out my Baikal and followed your advice. I didn't weigh the trigger pull before or after, but the improvement in the trigger "feel" is very noticeable. A welcome change! Thanks for the tip.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark K Dixon:
The pistol grip seems to designed for rather large hands and is somewhat uncomfortable to me. I find myself having to reposition my hand for the second shot. I have contemplated converting it to a straight grip design and trimming the profile down to make it more comfortable.

Respectfully
mkd

Mark, I know what you mean about the grip. Not really very comfortable. It went from bad to worse after I got to handle a classic W.W. Greener double which fit the hand, shoulder and face like it was made for me.

I had my stock lengthened two inches (I'm 6'2") and that made a huge difference. My hand felt better and did not have to crank my face against the stock to get a good sight picture. I still tend to slide my hand back just a fraction for the second shot. It could use a little palm swell. I could re-stock it for a better fit/shape but for what I paid for it, its fine!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

posted Hide Post
BC, I agree restock would not be an option based on what I paid for the gun. I have added a recoil pad that increased the LOP 1.5 inches and that helped some.
Any idea if the barrels are soldered or threaded into the monobloc.
respectfully
mkd

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Mark, no clue. Sorry! I'm sure others on here might know...

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Hizzie, I'm not the original poster on this thread, but I had to thank you for your input here. I read your post above, and immediately got out my Baikal and followed your advice. I didn't weigh the trigger pull before or after, but the improvement in the trigger "feel" is very noticeable. A welcome change! Thanks for the tip.

John

Glad I could help.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also own a Baikal Double. It is a great gun for the money....of course they have gone up a bit since I purchased mine. I set mine up with some 30mm rings from MAK (Germany)and a cheap 1.25 x 5 Barska scope. Paid twice as much for the rings thn the scope but the rings are really low profile, which work and look great on a double.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Tarawa,

How much eye relief on the Barska scope?? I personally think scopes on a double are, well...you know. But, given that my eyes are not 21 any longer, I'm thinking about it! Thats why I put the aperture sight where the blade sight was. That leaves the rest of the rib to put a scope on.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Baikal 45-70 and just took some .22 cal Weaver style rings and used a file to take off some of the extra width. Aluminum rings, so no bluing/rust issues. The rib seems tapered, so one ring needed a bit more than another.

I've fired about 40 shots through it and no issues with the rings coming loose. The scope, a Leupold 1-4X, actually lost it's magnification somewhere along the line, so I had to send it for repair. Just got it back yesterday, so can get back to load development (using different bullet than regulated with - 385 gr. Lyman cast). Will report results in the next couple weeks.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have the baikal 45-70 with the pyramid air leaper accushot i piece 1 in. ring 11mm dovetail mt. [py-a-636] $17.95 very reliable and made for the gun.[paramydair.com] this will fit the bill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know where are you guys finding all the model221?Iam looking for an Biakal SxS 45-70,please post if anyone knows.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big will: there is one for sale on gunbroker that just came up. under other rifles. #242583679 45-70 new in box $898.00 plus 30.00 shipping. kjergaard sports lake benton mn. 56149. good luck bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
would like to know where are you guys finding all the model221?Iam looking for an Biakal SxS 45-70,please post if anyone knows

Me too I would like to find one in 30-06.

Good hunting /shooting and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone know if EAA still importing the Biakal 45-70 SxS? I have been trying to buy one NIB for over an year.About Canada? are there any new one up there? Also how far are the 30.06 shooting?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Big Will, if you can find one used I would highly recommend it. If its used it may have already had some work done on the triggers (HORRIBLE out of the box!) and regulated. If not, at least it will be cheaper!

I got mine for a song because whoever bought it new could not get the barrels regulated vertically. Cost me three automotive feeler gauges ( maybe 10p) and saved me several hundred pounds sterling.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
Would anyone know if EAA still importing the Biakal 45-70 SxS? I have been trying to buy one NIB for over an year.About Canada? are there any new one up there? Also how far are the 30.06 shooting?

I don't know who the importer is, but Baikals are readily available here in Canada, and the Artemida (SxS double rifle) is in stock at several larger shops. Ellwood Epps, a major gun retailer located in Orillia, Ontario has several showing on their website in .45-70, plus at least one or two used ones in .30-06. They are good folks to deal with, but the legalities of exporting a gun to the U.S. are probably daunting.

I've owned and sold two of the .30-cal models, and now own a .45-70. These guns are great fun to shoot, once you get the regulation dialed in. Good luck, I hope you find one.

John