Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

So I went down to the gun show this morning, not really looking for anything and a new Merkel in .470 NE followed me home. I'd always saved a spot in on my gun roster for a big double and had looked into them enough to know what would interest me. I'd gone so far as to look at prices and had mentally set a price that I'd be willing to pay, figuring it was urealistically low. Well, I found one at my price. I walked around the show, did some counting on my fingers and coughed up the cash.

I've never even shot a double rifle. I'll change that on Sunday, but what next? Reloading will be a priority. Does anyone have a must read reference for getting started on reloading for a double? Better yet, a Canadian source for relatively cheap components.

Cheers,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dean, welcome to the world of double addiction! Congrats on your new purchase...as a former owner of a 470 Merkel, you have purchased a nice piece of iron. I would recommend "Shooting the English Double" by Grahme Wright....good read with good info.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask all the questions you need to.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Dean, welcome to the world of double addiction! Congrats on your new purchase...as a former owner of a 470 Merkel, you have purchased a nice piece of iron. I would recommend "Shooting the English Double" by Grahme Wright....good read with good info.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

That is the book you want. Be sure and get the second edition.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I'll get a copy of the book. The most expensive part of the trip may have been when my wife picked up the rifle and commented on how well it fit her. I've already lost a .404J that way Smiler.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

I think you will find it is "Shooting The BRITISH Double Rifle" Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You'll find that this book is about sold out world wide and the few remaining copies are very $pendy. Mr Wright is soon to release the 3rd edition if you can wait a while. The announced release date has come and gone so maybe it'll be soon.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac.....was on vacation and obviously in a relaxed mode....you are quite correct. In this case we cannot use British and English interchangibly... Big Grin

Thanks for the correction.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Does this book apply when using a German made Double Rifle with a British Caliber ? Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Does this book apply when using a German made Double Rifle with a British Caliber ? Roll Eyes

I wouldn't get overly expectant as to what the book is. He elaborates quite extensively on black powder loads, which is plenty worthwhile if you are into black powder shooting.

The most significant data seems to be that he shows that RL-15 closely approximates the old Cordite loads.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dean welcome to the double gun guys and you will never be the same... I sure enjoy shooting mine...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote