Notify
Tools

450-400 3" for Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
I've benn looking at a DR chamberd in the 450-400 3"is this enought gun for Buff.

Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look back through history you will find that a lot of buffalo have fallen to this cartridge. I would not say that it would be my choice but a capable round all the same. As with any game, shot placement is critical. I shot a Cape buff with a 470 at approximatley 30 yards. The bullet went through both shoulders and a small Mopane tree! The tracker found the slug on the opposite side of the tree and I have it as a souvenir! The buff bolted and ran about 60 yards before he dropped. They have incredible tenacity.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the 450/400 Taylors favorite Buff cartridge? Maybe it was the 3 1/4". Anyway it is definitely capable from everything I have heard.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Plenty for buffalo a good penetrating 400 grain .408/.411 bullet!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fungunner and Rusty are right on! !,plus it will still be used for buff when we are gone!

Posts: 74 | Location: Mountains of WV | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, the 450/400 3", and 3 1/4" chamberings are the most versatile chambering ever in a double rifle used for a wide range of DG in Africa, as well as being one of the best woods hunting rifles for North America. If someone out there has a decent 450/400 3" double and is afraid it isn't enough for Buffalo, I have a "NEW" 470NE that I will trade for it in a heart beat! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a buffallo with it so I don't know. I can say that it kills elephant with wonderful efficiency. I think that it's greatest virtue is that it is so easy to shoot well. and recovery from recoil is very quick. My 400 weighs 11 lbs with the scope on. I had it built to that weight by Butch because I wanted that quick second shot capability. It works great. It is great fun to hunt with.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Hi
I've benn looking at a DR chamberd in the 450-400 3"is this enought gun for Buff.

Dr B

YEP!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 450/400 [either one, I have a 3 1/4"], is plenty enough for the sport hunter to use on ANY game to include Cape Buff and Elephant.
Even if I was a PH specializing in African DG I would rather have my 450/400 than ANY bolt rifle.
You will never be unhappy about buying a 450/400 double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I think the 450/400 is a great Buff caliber. [/IMG]

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Still having trouble posting pics, this is a
450/400 & one of the buffs it was effectively
used on!
(was supposed to be with the above post)

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Nice sidelock JB! give us the specs, please!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Charles Lancaster 450/400 3 1/4" NE
Sidelock, assist opener, circa 1911
400 gr Woodleigh "Weldcore" RN SN (.411)

Used effectively on two buff, both were
one shot kills. Had solids in the left barrel
but never had to use them. Seems like a nice
& lethal combination for buff.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JB,
Nice rifle and trophy!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another nice thing about a 450/400 double is that I use 300 grain bullets for deer and pigs.
My load regulates with the 400 grainers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle and buff indeed!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! Nice buff too.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Hi

Dr B

Well i own a HEym .450 N.E. 3 1/4 for five ours now...

I think that this cartridge is a better penetrator than the.470 NE because with modern powder you can make a lot within normal pressure.

It is a Heym 10 years old in Top condition! clap