New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received word that a PH acquaintance of mine is giving up living in South Africa for greener pastures in Australia. He has a beautiful B. Searcy in 470 nitro express that will not accompany him on his move. The price has been named now I need to ask the big question, how do I get the thing legally shipped to the US. If anyone could direct me to a prior post or the proper channels I have to wade through you help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dean

Posts: 67 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean, I've used Griffin & Howe on the import or export of several firearms. They have a person that does just that. Call (908) 766-2287 and ask for Shari. From what I understand, it's easier to bring rifles into the USA that it is to export them...particularly big bore rifles.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will be on the phone with them momentarily. I will be over there in May so ya think they would let me carry my baby home. I feel like I'm adopting a child.

Dean

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have it shipped to you, to be notified by US Customs upon arrival, and a qualified FFL dealer can pick it up, and you go get it from him. I'm sure there are a number of FFL dealers in Houston that can do that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray
I am looking into all avenues on trying to get this Searcy back to its home land. Truthfully it belongs in Tanzania.

Dean

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
NECG also imports rifles. Again they have a lady that does just that. Give them a call as well and see whom you like better. The last time I had any dealing with this the rifle had to be received from customs by a licensed importer, not an ffl holder. This may have changed since then but I doubt it. Its not hard, nothing some paperwork and money cant fix. dancing

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
A timely thread as I want to bring in a certain LH bolt gun, made in Finland,
that is not imported to the US.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dean,

In general you may not/not bring the rifle back with you.

If you hold an FFL, AND get an approved ATF Form 6 with you listed as importer, you MAY be able to bring it back yourself, but check first with ATF to see if that is possible. Be good to have it in writing when you return. Then you would have to deal with U.S. Customs at the airport you first land in the U.S. perhaps paying duty...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
In the same vein, does anyone know what issues might be involved in bringing a muzzleloader to the US from Africa? A friend in South Africa is building me an English Sporting Rifle, 12 bore, flintlock. I was thinking I might just collect it in person next year.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Looked at the ATF website and it would seem that importing a rifle requires an FFL to be registered as a Licensed Importer and that form includes a $250 annual fee. Might be easier to just get it shipped.

As for your question, Bill. Muzzle loaders, flintlock or what have you and their replicas that do not use cartridges don't count, as I read the ATF regs and do not need an import license. But, you must double check this interpretation with ATF. Might still have to pay duty...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/gu...debook--complete.pdf For Types of Importers see page 35. One type is discussed below:
quote:
Any person residing in the U.S. who does not hold an FFL.
A non-licensed resident of the U.S may obtain an approved ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit to import sporting ammunition for his or her own use but not for resale or other commercial purpose. However, a non-licensed resident of the U.S. may not obtain an approved ATF Form 6 import permit to import nonsporting ammunition or any firearm. Any non-licensee who desires to import a firearm into the U.S. must have the firearm imported on his or her behalf by a qualified FFL, and the subsequent transfer of the firearm to the non-licensee must be in compliance with Federal, State and local law.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
In the same vein, does anyone know what issues might be involved in bringing a muzzleloader to the US from Africa?
Muzzleloaders do not meet the ATF definition of Firearms and, therefore, are exempt from federal import restrictions. Further, pre-1898 weapons are considered Antiques by ATF and those usually may also be imported without restriction.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote