THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Strange / unlikely animal you've taken with a double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange / unlikely animal you've taken with a double?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I was digging through some old photos and thought the DR guys would appreciate this.

This one was shot as a problem animal - about 10ft.

One 300gr Woodleigh was enough (the left barrel wasn't needed.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice croc and a very nice story I'll bet!!! Mine was MUCH more mondane ... but a problem animal nonetheless Wink

Shot a groundhog in the side yard with a 9,3x74R Chapuis some years ago. P.S. No neighbors were especially inconvenienced as I live in the country.

(Shhh ... have seen another one in that area this year ... may have to hunt him too Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
that'd make a nice pair of boots..... nice pic... beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I'd first gotten on with load development with my J&W Tolley 450, I'd taken the wife and newborn daughter to the ranch with me so that they could get a bit of a trail hike in while I ran some loads over the chronograph.

As we were unloading the rifles and the girls from the rig, the ranch dog proceeded to go completely nuts over a surly skunk who was approaching us sideways and flying it's tail.

I grabbed the Tolley and a pair of cartridges as I directed the wife and baby behind the wagon while sizing up the skunk over the front sight.
Hadn't run these loads through the rifle yet, and I was sure that I wanted to stop the little stinker before he 'seasoned' us and the dog - didn't want to find out if it was rabid, didn't want to get hosed, thought that a cns hit would be best.
Before I could think about it too much the first shot took care of the problem, yanking the brain-stem out of little 'Pepe Le-Pew'

We all got a good laugh, the mighty 500/450 3-1/2" Magnum's wake-up call
'Dangerous Skunk'

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 320 Woodleigh out of a 9.3x74 will send a bullfrog about 20' into the air along with a spectactular fountain of water.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a klipspringer taken with a double rifle. Since they are normally longer range critters I would put this in the unussual catagory. Taken at about 70-75yds with a solid.

OzHunter has also taken a klipspringer with a double. We both took them in Chewore South.

Here's mine:

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
That definitely qualifies, John. Well done.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the squirrels that I've shot with my .22 Hornet qualify? SmilerSmiler

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to strange and unlikely game for a double rifle...

With my 450 No2 I have taken a bunch of armidillos, and skunks. A couple of coyotes, and 2 squirrels, with head shots of course as I was shooting them for the skillet.

With my 450/400 3 1/4" I have taken armidillos and skunks, as well as 2 caribou and black bear.

I do not consider deer and pigs "strange" game for a big bore double...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Not ideal for PG but worked just fine on a target of opportunity - open sights, FN solid, at 40meters, 1 shot from R barrel through the heart did the trick:

And another "strange" prey by double:

Marked red is a place where mouflon was taken - so open-sighted double as a mountain rifle Smiler

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Shot a beaver with my 470. It was a problem animal as well, left barrel not needed! Smiler

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confirmed on African Wildcat with 500 NE (a long story) and Genet .375 H&H by the PH. Still convinced that I had a top 10 on a Duiker that I passed with my 500 that would have done less damage than my 308 WHY I still ask did I not SHOOT? The most unsual event was the giant warthog that I shot at 25 meters between the eyes with a 500 as I was sitting. The shot goes a hole appears, hog raise foot of the gound, lands on all 4s and then stood there....... staring at us, me and the tracker look at each other... look back to pig .......then back at each other......"hit again boss" not with my limited ammo I say. We get out of the blind and I approach with gun up....as we get within 5 feet he topples over. But hell I have hunted Luipard with a 500NE as you can only carry one gun.