New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&H .500/.465 evaluation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at buying this Holland & Holland Royal ejector rifle, but I would like to draw on the experience and opinions of these boards for advice.
The rifle was built in 1913, originally the length of pull was 15”3/8 which has since been trimmed to a more civilized length, which I have not measured but fits me well.
Original weight was 10lb 10 oz, with 26” barrels in .500/465 3”1/4. One nice detail, the locks are signed by Joseph Brazier Ashes, who was described as "a very excellent best Lock Filer" by Wesley Richards. www.josephbrazier.com . It is tight and on face, the bore and rifling are great, though it is not easy to see in the pictures. There is also a small ivory container in the case that I do not know the purpose of, as well a spare pair of firing pins stowed in the pistol grip.
I must say that the photos I took of the rifle do not really do it justice, they are particularly unflattering and have managed to enhance the tiniest blemishes, making the general tone of the gun look quite a bit duller than it actually is in person. It was a cheap, old digital camera and the lighting was not good. And I am obviously not much of a photographer.
The rifle is not flawless though it is considerably nicer than it appears in the photos. So without further ado here are the pics:

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting it doesn't have Holland Royal on the underside of the action. Maybe someone could say if this was the case with early Holland's.

Nice looking gun. Long Strap over comb is good - and nice.

Check the wood on the stock at the centre rear of the lock plates - had a habit of cracking here, sometimes just very faint cracks.

Will add more later.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is another 'Royal' on the New York Holland & Holland webite that also does not have the inscription on the underside, it is also early vintage, 1897.

http://www.hollandandholland.c...ns/9989898919229.htm

I wonder?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the first one I have seen like that.

An exact same gun over here has no "Royal", just the charge like your one.

I think early Royal's didn't always have it - I asked in case someone knew definatively.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Looks nice to me. Find out how it shoots.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS

Did you get my PM ?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a beautiful rifle!!!!

As near as I can tell an extractor of this quality, condition, and calibre would go 50-60k. A ejector of this quality, condition, and calibre would go 60-75k. Have a look:
http://www.gunsinternational.c...er=Price&start_row=1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not mention that is is an ejector.
Thanks for the replies, keep it coming!
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw it has a split between the barrels so guessed it was an Ejector.

Gun case
- is it original ?
- where is the gun / load data label on the lid
- most H&H's had them.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
To a serious British collector any alteration, like the shortening of the stock, might detract from the value. To anyone that intends on using the gun, alteration of the stock to fit the shooter makes a lot of sense and, in the USA, most people would not be put off by it at all.

Note the hidden third bight and long top tang strap - nice touches.

That looks like a very nice gun. The ivory box and the pistol grip are used to store little things like extra firing pins, springs, and sights.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I saw it has a split between the barrels so guessed it was an Ejector.

+1, but covering my bases.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
To a serious British collector any alteration, like the shortening of the stock, might detract from the value. To anyone that intends on using the gun, alteration of the stock to fit the shooter makes a lot of sense and, in the USA, most people would not be put off by it at all.

Note the hidden third bight and long top tang strap - nice touches.

That looks like a very nice gun. The ivory box and the pistol grip are used to store little things like extra firing pins, springs, and sights.

I disagree in regards to THIS alteration to the stock. If H&H had purchased the gun for resale, to sell it they may have had to shorten the stock. It is how it is done that is important.

"Note the hidden third bight and long top tang strap - nice touches."
IMHO, that is standard on this level of gun / calibre by THIS maker.
H&H ae known for hidden thrid bites. The strap might be normal length
if the customer who ordered it didn't want it.

The fact that the spare firing pins are still in the grip to me says a lot.

Agreed, nice gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed, nice gun.

500N, can you elaborate on what you mean by that? I can only guess that is means there has never been any need to replace them, that it has been well maintained? Or is there something specific that it can indicate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just that "all the bits and pieces" have stayed together with the rifle.

It's a "nice to have" as opposed to a definite requirement but shows someone looked after everything.

People who don't look after their gear tend to mis place things like this IMHO.

Bore condition / overall condition of the rifle is more important in the overall scheme of things but it's just another "tick" for the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hood is missing from the front sight.

Is it in the case ?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Note the hidden third bight and long top tang strap - nice touches."
IMHO, that is standard on this level of gun / calibre by THIS maker.
H&H ae known for hidden thrid bites. The strap might be normal length
if the customer who ordered it didn't want it.

Agreed, nice gun.

Yes, advertised as "standard" for the Express Double-Barreled High Velocity Cordite Rifles are the long strap, special treble grip, and the "pistol grip with cap which contains a box for holding extra sights, etc."

Still, nice touches.

For circa 1913 info on the rifle look at page 41-43 in the 1910 catalog:

Reprint of 1910 H&H Catalog

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharp observation. I don't think it was there. I'll have to ask. Thanks, I would not have noticed, also because I hate them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
Sharp observation. I don't think it was there. I'll have to ask. Thanks, I would not have noticed, also because I hate them!

It comes from buying guns like this. Attention to detail is everything at this level.

So do I (hate them) but they are part of the gun and look good in the case
as well as protect the front sight from being damaged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun barrels were obviously stored wet at one stage by the looks of the light pitting on the face / and where the proof marks are.

Just check that the barrels haven't been refinished / reblued.

IMHO, the proof marks are very sharp - does anyone else think the gun hasn't done a huge amount of work (although a closer inspection
of the bores etc is needed).

Just my HO.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
does anyone else think the gun hasn't done a huge amount of work

+1 That was my general thought. As stated the bores need a good hard look.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
A little bit off topic but I notice that the .465 royal in the new guns section in the New York gunroom has been significantly reduced in price, handled that exact rifle Oct last year and the price was $171,900 and is now retailing for $155,000, a substantial drop.

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking and the bore has little or no "frosting" or erosion.

Strongly suggest you call Patrick Murphy, in charge of the gunroom at H&H in London, and order a copy of the gunbook notes. That will tell you a lot, including to whom they sold it. See if the case has those initials on it and then double check the case label to be certain it is of the period (H&H regularly changed labels depending on prizes they won and what royal warrants they held).

Patrick may have a hood of the period that will fit the front sight if you need it.

The ivory bottle is for the strikers (firing pins) that you found in the grip cap.

My H&H 500/450 dates to 1904. It does not have the word "Royal" anywhere on it, nor is it so identified in the gunbook notes. But I asked and was assured it is a "Royal."

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by choppa:
A little bit off topic but I notice that the .465 royal in the new guns section in the New York gunroom has been significantly reduced in price, handled that exact rifle Oct last year and the price was $171,900 and is now retailing for $155,000, a substantial drop.

Not a drop in price at all. Since the guns are made in England they are priced based on the pound. The New York showroom can't change prices every day but I've noticed they do make adjustments from time to time to account for the changing trends in exchange rates.

1 GBP cost $1.688 in Nov 2009
1 GBP only cost about $1.545 this month

If you do the math then it's pretty close.

$171,900/$1.688 per GBP = 101,836 GBP
$155,000/$1.545 per GBP = 100,324 GBP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I did take the plunge and bought this rifle.

On Easter sunday I was able to take it out and christen it with a spot and stalk boar hunt, which I enjoyed very much.

I will try to post some pictures of it in more flattering light.

The rifle is just wonderful and I'm not particularly worried about it's resale value, because I hope to keep it and pass it down to my son one day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
Well folks, I did take the plunge and bought this rifle.

On Easter sunday I was able to take it out and christen it with a spot and stalk boar hunt, which I enjoyed very much.

I will try to post some pictures of it in more flattering light.

The rifle is just wonderful and I'm not particularly worried about it's resale value, because I hope to keep it and pass it down to my son one day.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope to see pictures of your hunting results down the road. The caliber is a good one, comparable to .470 or .450 NE. Your son will be very lucky to own that gun someday. Good hunting.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

You are one very lucky man. I am envious! wave

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express.

Well done on the purchase.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally the length of pull was 15”3/8 which has since been trimmed to a more civilized length

Very nice rifle and congrats on the purchase! But "MORE CIVILIZED LENGTH"? I'm a 15.5" LOP!! hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,
Congrats on the purchase of your H&H. I have one very similar, circa 1908, that
also does not say Royal on the belly, only the caliber, case length & charge.

Mine, like your new one, is in stellar condition & I have been able to take
two nice elephant bulls (Tanzania & Namibia) with it. As many have stated,
the 500/465 is essentially a ballistic twin to the 450's & 470 NE. Very
good caliber for elephant, buff, hippo,...?
Don't be afraid to take it out hunting, that is what they were made for.

If you don't already have "Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Graeme
Wright, then I would try to pick-up a copy, very informative for reloading.

Well done on your purchase, hope your son gets to use it someday as well!

Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle & great patience & peseverance - 3 years!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Fantastic rifle; enjoy! beer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

A good laser-welder can make the pitting go away quite easily.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello express:

That is a very lovely rifle, congratulations.

very good sound advice from new-guy, except I will make darn sure the guy knew what he was doing and have done it for quite a while. Also would want to see some of the work that he has done etc, before I hand this baby over to him.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

A good laser-welder can make the pitting go away quite easily.

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
EXPRESS,
Congrats on the purchase of your H&H. I have one very similar, circa 1908, that
also does not say Royal on the belly, only the caliber, case length & charge.

Mine, like your new one, is in stellar condition & I have been able to take
two nice elephant bulls (Tanzania & Namibia) with it. As many have stated,
the 500/465 is essentially a ballistic twin to the 450's & 470 NE. Very
good caliber for elephant, buff, hippo,...?
Don't be afraid to take it out hunting, that is what they were made for.

If you don't already have "Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Graeme
Wright, then I would try to pick-up a copy, very informative for reloading.

Well done on your purchase, hope your son gets to use it someday as well!

Jim

Nice rifle.I wonder who did the engraving on it?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote