New
Find
Notify
Tools

What options?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bailey has informed me that my .450 will be ready for stocking this week! Now come the hard choises. For economical reasons I have to choose between the following:

- extra pair of locks (it's a droplock, so what's the use without an extra set?)
- extra engaving (100% scroll or 50% deep relief)

The rifle will be around 10 pounds, 26 inch tubes, case color hardened action, ghost ring sights.

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you in the longer run want both I would take the engravings first. The Locks can always be mailed to you later if you actually have to have an x-tra set.

What import taxes does a "Nordmand" pays?.

Do they differ if the gun is used?(If Mike shoots of a few shots and call it used and does a fictive pricereduction)

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25% Frowner

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
If you in the longer run want both I would take the engravings first.

+1

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the engraving. Once the action is hardened it may be difficult to engrave later. I would expect any problem encountered with a lock could be repaired without replacing the whole thing. If you had a spare lock you could use it for a quick replacement in the field but I wonder how many owners of W-R droplocks ever needed or even had a second pair of locks. What are some other advantages of droplocks? Ease of cleaning, maintenance, and repair come to mind.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Extra locks for nothing more than the very cool factor. Just me. Best of luck. I'm sure it will be very nice whatever you decide. tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, there are more advantages to droplocks than having the extra pair. Engraving is really not that important to me, but then again, I know Bailey does exellent engraving and maybe I could learn to appreciate it more than the laser engraving I have had on my K-guns Wink

I hate having to make decisions like these!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the extra engraving...you can order an extra set of locks anytime....not so easy with the engraving..

Do one really need those extra locks..??

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Engraving.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the engraving because of the heat treatment considerations.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. If I go for engraving, I can have 100% scroll coverage or 50% deep relief engraving for the same price. I am leaning toward the latter.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
If I go for engraving, I can have 100% scroll coverage or 50% deep relief engraving for the same price. I am leaning toward the latter.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Engraving is purely subjective. Get what you like. If you can have a bit of your personality worked into it all the better.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://postimg.org/gallery/op2vdcsw/23309e7e/

What do you guys think of these patterns? I'm a viking!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Nice. Just don't have him engrave Brunhilde!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great idea! if i was from germany it would look something like this !

http://postimg.org/image/vwhoq72kh/14cba444/

Wink

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brunhild
Norse mythology
Written by: The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica
Alternate titles: Brünhild; Brunhilda; Brunhilde; Brynhild

Brunhild, also spelled Brynhild, Brunhilda, Brunhilde, or Brünhild, a beautiful Amazon-like princess in ancient Germanic heroic literature, known originally from Old Norse sources (the Edda poems and the Vǫlsunga saga) and from the Nibelungenlied in German and more recently from Richard Wagner’s late 19th-century opera cycle Der Ring des Nibelungen (“The Ring of the Nibelung”), adapted from the Nibelungenlied. In the Eddic poems in which she appears, Brunhild plays the leading role.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would go for the classic engraving.

For me the enjoyment factor and the heart stopping drool factor will be the look and feel of the rifle. Yes the extra locks are also part of it but a distant 20th factor!

Being tight on the wallet I would also look at the resale appeal - would you buy a gun with engraving or extra locks - if all else was the same?

I would definitely by a second had gun with nice engraving compared to spare locks.

But then ... I am just dreaming .... no real chance of owning a nice double rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote