New
Find
Notify
Tools

A rotary break open double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry if posted before, but dang! While going through Cabelas I happened upon this beauty!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That just happens to be 9.3! Big Grin

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sweet package. The machining and finishing are exceptional!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have handeled these in the past and talked to George Hoenig about them.

Allthough it is unconventional I personally consider it to be brilliant in design and it overcomes some of the weaknesses of the traditional double rifle such as hinge pin wear.

German gun making has a tradition of inovation. To some degree each German gunmaker is exspected to design and bring to market something new that is his own contrabution to the industry. Sometimes these new designs are subtle and sometimes radical.

Some good example of this are Martin Hagns single shot falling block action or my good friend Alois Mayr's drehverschlussbuchse. The Austrians of course do the same such as Karl Hauptmann's tripple rifle with all three barrels in a horazntal plane. Or waffen Fuchs bolt action double rifle.

My opinion is that german gunbuilders have always made unorthadox guns so since that has been their tradition for so long it is then not so unexceptable when they do so. I have no problem at all with something like a Blaser S2 or the Hoenig because they are German.

On the other hand the British have always been all about tradition. I would expect a fine Britsh rifle to be only totally traditional in design.

George Hoenig lives in the U.S. but his heratage and background is German. I hope he dose not mind me calling his rifle German.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The rifle is certainly strong, and is basiclly a design based on a bolt action rifle!

With the action closed it is a basic O/U double rifle, and a very strong one. However the rifle though very strong, and the machining is top notch, the rifle takes away most of the reason the double rifle is considered to be the best choice for dangerous game in thick thorn. This rifle would be great for non-dangerous game like deer Moose, and Elk, especially if scoped. For any dangerous game the rifle would be a nightmare to re-load quickly! shown below:

First turn the barrels half way round then pull, and drop to extract the spent cases, then re-load lift, pull back, and turn the opposite dirrection to be ready for shots three, and four!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For almost $30K, there are LOTS of other choices out there, to be sure.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote