New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 286 gr. 9.3mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody tried handloads with this bullet yet? If so, did it regulate at the same load as your other (?) bullet?

thanks, DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few of them handloaded. I have not shot them in Hornady's loaded ammo. I have a box, just haven't made it to the range yet.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about most 9.3's (the faster ones being the exception) is that they perform well with about any bullet, mostly because they are not velocity queens and bullet performance and integrity is maintained....long live the 9.3x62...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray - That's exactly my opinion as well. Just plain old cup and lead bullet should do just fine. I've got a couple boxes of the Hornady's on order and will report back after I've had a chance to compare them to the Noslers. They are ~ 1/2 the cost of the Partitions, which is nice, but still roughly 2x what a plain old cup and lead bullet should cost. I've been thinking of setting up to swage 9.3's but you can shoot an awful lot of commecial bullets for the cost of a swaging set up. DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done some limited testing with the Hornady bullets in my Chapuis. the rifle was regulated with Norma Oryx 286 gr factory loads and with 65.6 gr H4831 SC and the Oryx bullets I can get sub 2-inch 4-shot groups at 100 yads (scope attached). With the Hornady's I drop down to 65.0 gr H4831 and get sub 2-inch 4-shot groups at 100 yards. Velocity runs around 2250 fps to regulate well. Still more testing to do to verify the first few groups, but the Hornady's look promising in my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have aquired a few boxes of the Hornady bullets. I have not had time to stick them on a powder charge yet but will be doing so soon.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I hate when things like this happen. I have some cheap 270gr Speer bullets that group 2-4" at 100 yards, from both barrels. These Hornady 286gr bullets group about 12-18" at 100 yards, from both barrels. Back to the reloading bench.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They shot very well for me.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote