New
Find
Notify
Tools

470NE Learning to Shoot....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, i have about 60 rds through my new Krieghoff 470NE. I am getting used to the recoil and can still shoot it pretty good. But i have a concern...I am a lefty and the triggers are set up for a righty so i really have to reach for that front trigger. Yesterday, i had a double fire. Upon initial recoil my finger slipped back and touched off the rear trigger. The second fire, was almost instantanious from the first.

I thought that these rifles were made with an anti-doubling mechanism?? If so, is it overridden by accidental trigger pull at that instant?

As a lefty, should i shoot the rear (left) trigger first? Will it make a big difference in the barrel regulation? Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the post that craig replied to regarding the 600 that doubled on him. That helps, maybe i should just see how it shoots by shooting the rear trigger first.....

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I spent most of my life shooting right handed, for the past three+ years I've had to shoot from the left.

My K-gun (500NE) was a right hand gun, I began for the first time in my life to shoot rear trigger first.

It was a somewhat difficult mental transition as I had grown up on SXS guns.

However once learned I believe it was easier from the left side to use the rear trigger first.

I am now building as small double with true left hand positions of the triggers.

(that out to foul up the works for a bit).

FyI, the K-gun safety/ cocking mechanism is easy to operate as you bring the rifle up and forward.

Not as easy to operate once shouldered, as you are somewhat at a mechanical/angular disadvantage on the thumb.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take your gun to a gunsmith or send it back to the distributor and get them to bend the triggers straight or the other way.

It is not difficult for a good gunsmith to do
and will help you a lot.

I am right handed and one of my DR's had really badly shaped triggers which a gunsmith fixed up no problems.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell the rifle and get one designed from the ground up with the correct triggers and cheek piece with the proper LOP and cast.
Then you will have a rifle built to your measurements and specs and you will never regret it.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass but have slowly come to realize the last thing us lefties should do is to make due with a rifle that is a compromise.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with Krieghoff to see what"correcting" the triggers might run?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i will check more into the modifications. Unfortunately, i won't have time now. I leave for Zim Sept 6 and i can't afford to have my gun away and not be practicing.

I did get it with a lefty cheak piece, and my LOP was customized, just the triggers that bother me...

I am also done with shooting the 570gr bullets. The 500gr make it just a bit easier to control the recoil, not much, but it helps.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The 500's will do fine.

Just practice.

food for thought--

http://forums.accuratereloadin...191075531#9191075531

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like wise not trying to be a smart arse but I am also left handed and I do just about all my hunting with a pair of DR, so I offer my advise for your consideration. My 9.3 has a left hand stock my .470 a straight stock with no cheek piece. Triggers are standard as for a right hand operator and I always fire the front trigger, right hand barrel first, my only modification is to have no “set trigger” and a manual safety so that both my rifles operate the same. I have hunted both plains game and Ellie and Buff with these rifles.

My personal view, which is a strong one, is that on a double rifle intended for dangerous game, the choice of which trigger is pulled first should have absolutely no bearing on weather the rifle is likely to double or not. I will only accept 100% reliable operation and with my option of barrel selection. Why anyone would accept anything less for the price is beyond me. I can carry my old .470 with a solid in the right barrel and a soft nose in the left whilst I hunt Cape Buffalo, this allows me an instant choice between soft or solid, I do this with 100% confidence in my rifle and my ability with her.

With your de-cocking safety on your Krieghoff, I would practice operating this as you bring your rifle to your shoulder, this will allow your hand to be in the correct firing position as the butt comes into your shoulder. I would purchase a set a snap caps and dry fire with these repeately. I am like you and would not want to ship my rifle away so close to my departure date, I am confident that with a little practice you will have restored your confidence and have no more problems. You have an excellent rifle in a superb caliber and I would put that one “double shot” down to learning experience .

I fire 10 rds a day (full power hunting re-loads) from hurried field positions for the 14 days prior to leaving for Africa. This enabled me to collect a superb Buff with one fast instinctive shot from 30 yds on my last trip. Keep practicing, you need full confidence in your rifle and then you will have a superb hunt, I am sure your Krieghoff will not let you down.

Good luck with your hunt.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
John Hipwell,

Very good post, I would add buy two (or three) sets of snap caps. "Shoot" both barrels and reload when practicing.

I also have a left hand K-Gun in 470 that I have shot quite a bit. The front trigger fires the right barrel and is offset slightly to the right. It has never doubled but I can reach the front trigger with ease.

Bryce,

Make certain you have a good solid grip with both hands. Maybe that will help. Just out of curiosity who makes the 570 grain bullet for a 470 that you mentioned in this post?

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Here's another lefty vote for turning the triggers so that your index finger eases onto them and you can shoot the front trigger first with little fear of doubling.

The job is easy as the triggers are soft steel and just need to be heated and then turned (bent around) for the left hand. BUT, you must have a serious double gunsmith do it! Otherwise you risk getting parts put back wrongly or some other mess-up. Not sure who is near Manitoba but you'd call, ask when he can do it and drive the gun over, waiting through the process...

Regards,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
John Hipwell,

Very good post, I would add buy two (or three) sets of snap caps. "Shoot" both barrels and reload when practicing.

I also have a left hand K-Gun in 470 that I have shot quite a bit. The front trigger fires the right barrel and is offset slightly to the right. It has never doubled but I can reach the front trigger with ease.

Bryce,

Make certain you have a good solid grip with both hands. Maybe that will help. Just out of curiosity who makes the 570 grain bullet for a 470 that you mentioned in this post?

I believe they are Hornady, i will double check.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
570 gr. .470 bullets. I think you might be mistaken. Maybe?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, you guys were right. The label on the package was from Buffalo Arms Co. It did say 570grain DGS bullets. Obviously a misprint. i weighed it and it is indeed 500 grain......