Notify
Tools

Getting my first double!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
dancing

I spoke with George at Champlin today and he's putting the Hollis away for me. I should be sending him the money in the next month or two!!!! I can't wait!!!

Here she is: http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1639

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Brett,

What a sweet rifle. I hope it fits you like that black velvet, low cut dress fitted my prom date, regulates as easy as she was, and brings you many years of joy/good hunts.

Well done!!

PS: Helluva starter rifle beer

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
congrats brett

it looks sweet, looking forward to the shoot report,

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
Very nice rifle! Can't wait to shoot itSmiler

Not very familar with the caliber. Do you neck down 500 NE brass to .458?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice, Brett. I owned that rifle at one time and would again except the English doubles have appreciated out of my price range. I still have the RCBS dies and trim die along with some Woodleigh solids if you are interested. George could pack them with the rifle when he ships it to you if you want. Congrats!!!

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Randy, it's the same make and caliber as my 'new' one and was even built the same year except mine is a hammer gun. It'll be interesting to put them side by side and see the numbers.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
Good choice, Brett. I owned that rifle at one time and would again except the English doubles have appreciated out of my price range. I still have the RCBS dies and trim die along with some Woodleigh solids if you are interested. George could pack them with the rifle when he ships it to you if you want. Congrats!!!

I'll take you up on that offer! Just let me know what I owe you. Thank you!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No charge. That stuff has been gathering dust for 10 years. Glad to help out a little.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Oh Boy! You're styleing now Brett! Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your Hollis as much as I have enjoyed mine!

Speaking of numbers. On the under rib near the barrel loop (where the forearm attaches to the barrels) there should be a 3-4 digit number. That number will be stamped on the action underneath the bottom plate, and most likely on the forearm wood under the metal. That number is the Leonard serial number. That's who really made your rifle!
And they are well made!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Bastard! Come on Searcy raffle ticket, come on ticket!!!

That's a nice rifle, when I hear the name Hollis I think of Selous and the 4-Bore he had. Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No charge. That stuff has been gathering dust for 10 years. Glad to help out a little.

Hats off to you 7kongoni for giving Brett the goods to get a great start shooting that beautiful English DR!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:

Hats off to you 7kongoni for giving Brett the goods to get a great start shooting that beautiful English DR!

+1 salute

Thank you very much sir! If you ever find yourself in Anchorage please drop me a line.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

I find it's easiest to spend all of one's money at one time. I'd suggest that you proceed with booking 21 days in Tanzania for all the good stuff ASAP.

Contact me for additional mass-spending advice if you have any cash left after that!

Kidding aside, congratulations and well done.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Any idea who has the records for Leonard or A Hollis now?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations great rifle.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Hollis end up in the hands of Bentley & Playfair, again in the end?

Nice DR Brett! I have held her. Comes up nice for me...beautiful engraving...great caliber. I might have owned her myself, if I could have sold my street rod faster. Congrats to you!
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, there is no turning back now.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, your toast Cool

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Jack, that was classy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How neat Brett!!

One question: what can you possibly do for your second double?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brett,
George has a nice Rigby Rising Bite 400/360 in the vault. That, would make a nice second double...you could have them sent together and save on shipping. Big Grin Big Grin

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7kongoni, you are a man of class. That is very generous! clap

Brett, congratulations! I can't wait to see it. That seems like a quality gun all of the way around, and in 45 with scope bases too! Good choice and good shooting!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are an awful lot of really fine folks here. This is an example.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
How neat Brett!!

Rich

A Westley Richards drop lock in a yet undetermined calibre!!! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats about the nicest gesture I've ever seen from a member here.
My hat is off to you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Well done and congrats!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine looking gun. You should have plenty of years of good shooting with that gun.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Beautiful Double Rifle, hope to see a lot of pics in the future featuring the Hollis & some nice trophies!
Enjoy, you picked a great rifle.

Cheers to 7kongoni for his kind gesture!

JB

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your kind words and wishes!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Brett, that's a truly outstanding rifle. I wish you a lifetime of adventures together.

Thanks to you, 7kongoni, for helping me maintain my faith in humanity. Good man!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your kind comments. I showed them to my wife but she does not share your high opinion of me!! It was fun to share Brett's enthusiasm. BTW Champlin still has that London Rigby 470 for only 120K. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW Champlin still has that London Rigby 470 for only 120K.

Eeker

Wow!!! That's lion hunt in Tanzania type money. I handled some of the H&H royals at SCI my my! But the Westley Richards still do it for me!!! To me that's the pinacle. I can't wait for the adventures I'll have with my 500/450 in my many safaris to come!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brett Wink.

No retreat..No surrender now..Just double rifles.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The check is in the mail! Hopefully it will be here by the end of next week!!!!!! dancing

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully it will be here by the end of next week!!!!!!

Be nice if it was here by saterday. You probably won't have ammo for it yet but you can have show and tell at the range.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Bret! I picked up my first double a few weeks ago and if was a very proud day, I must say. But like everyone says, now I'm looking for another! Anxiously awaiting pictures....

Posts: 1430 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I've got all the 'makings' for his rifle. If it's here it'll be tested.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Brett:
When your baby comes in, bring all of your reloading stuff up to my place. It will be far easier to work up a load here where we can shoot and go adjust the load than at a range. I have the shell holder and bullets yo need.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Will do all!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson