New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under & over doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All,Just wanted to know your opinion of under & over doubles? I was looking at one of the USA web sites and saw a Verney-Carron under & over double in 450-400 which i thought was quite nice and was thinking of getting a new toy! What are the pro's and con's of these and does anyone out there own one?cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've shot this 450/400 a few times with customers, and it's really a matter of personal prefrence. Although most in the US think sxs when they think of big doubles, the o/u is certainly practical as well.

There's the argument about the barrel travel when opening and loading, but if a guy is well versed with his o/u shotgun, the o/u rifle should be an easy transition... I would think.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The O/U is exquisitely elegant; but for me .375 H&H Fl Mag is the largest
I'd consider in that design. 9.3x74R and smaller, no doubt I lean toward O/U.
YOU may decide you prefer O/U in every caliber. Have your fun!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

If I were to pick an O/U double rifle chambered for a cartridge bigger than 375 Fl Mag the above rifle would absolutely be my pick!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac,is there an issue i don't know about with the verney carron's that would make them unsuitable in 450-400?

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have played a little bit with a Zoli 450/400. Loved it. Handeled just like my Browning citori- same single trigger, same safely.

A couple of my mates who were big into shotgun shooting and bird hunting before they got into dangerous game hunting have gone for O/U rifles with the same trigger and saely as their usual shotguns- good plan and the route I would have gone if I had been able to get what I wanted when I wanted.

Howver, not exactly 'dissatisfied' with the Krieghoff and have sold the browning and bought 20g barrels for my Krieghoff for cheap and easy practice on moving targets

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I personally find a U/O Shot Gun a better handling weapon for hunting, and thus would strongly consider this merit for any double rifle.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the O/U has any faults compared to a sxs the action does have to open wider to reload so maybe a bit slower on the reload but practice can fix a lot of things. I'm just a stickler on continuity (safeties the same, single trigger or double trigger's, etc.) if you already have some O/U's get another in 450/400. If you have a sxs or two and you want a O/U and your sxs has two triggers I'd make sure the O/U had two triggers.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lurk most of the time, but just as the OP, I ran across a couple O/U doubles that piqued my interest and came here to gather some knowledge. Funny thing is this thread was at the top of the forum. Fate or Omen.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how are some of the makers for o/u and whats the price ranges?

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka 512 SD in 9.3x74R. I also have two other barrel sets (12 ga/7x57R) and 12 ga/12ga.). I love the gun!

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

The Verney Carron O/U 450-400 goes for about $7K with ejectors. Looks like a lot of rifle to me for the money. Reasonably light and easy to carry but pushing a 400 grain bullet at good speed. There is an example on Kebco's web site. As much as I love the 9,3x74R the 450/400 might be the perfect caliber for large North America game.

Personal thoughts are it is a good choice for the one double guy. But I am of the school that believes all doubles a hunter owns should be the same basic design so no mistakes are made in the field.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
Hey Mac,is there an issue i don't know about with the verney carron's that would make them unsuitable in 450-400?

zhaba, I have zero experience with the V-C rifles, but what my comment in this thread was all about is If I wanted an O/U double rifle in a dangerous game cartridge, which I do not, it would be the HEYM pictured by NewGuy! My reason is that particular rifle has been chambered for some of the largest catridges of any double rifle of the Over Under style rifle. This particular rifle is weighted more properly for that type of cartridge than most O/U rifles. The action is very strong, and has multiple lock-ups with the underlump, and the kersner twin extentions for the cross bar. It has two triggers and a manual safety.

I'm not in the market for a danherous game O/U double rifle, and, in my opinion, there is a reason most O/U double rifle chamber no larger than the 9.3X74R, and most come with a single trigger, and auto safety. The reason is the O/U is not well suited for dangerous game hunting, by most double rifle users.

Basically most who like the O/U pattern consider these objections to the O/U pattern, single trigger, and auto safety in a DGR to be simply a personal thing. It is, but again, IMO, these objections are real. I own both types of double rifles, but my choice for a DGR is always a S/S double rifle with double triggers, manual safety, chambered for a flanged cartridge from 375FL Mag to 500NE. I can live with ejectors or extractors equally on a side by side, but absolutely insist on selective ejectors on an over Under double rifle.

................ coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

The Verney Carron O/U 450-400 goes for about $7K with ejectors. Looks like a lot of rifle to me for the money. Reasonably light and easy to carry but pushing a 400 grain bullet at good speed. There is an example on Kebco's web site. As much as I love the 9,3x74R the 450/400 might be the perfect caliber for large North America game.

Personal thoughts are it is a good choice for the one double guy. But I am of the school that believes all doubles a hunter owns should be the same basic design so no mistakes are made in the field.

The 450/400NE 3" is a fine cartridge for the world not just North America.

On the idea that all ones rifles should be the same to avoid mistakes in the field makes sense! However, IMO, that only applies to the features that can cause the mistake in the same type rifle. I find that the biggest problem is to employ features that may be a draw back on a DGR that may be used to shoot instinctively to stop a bite back in close quarters, or may cause a total out of service condition if they malfunction!

Example; I own rifles in both DGR, and Non DGR class, and they come in single shot falling block, break top, exposed hammer, hammerless, single triggers, double triggers, bolt action, rifle with scopes only, with both scope and irons, or irons only. Tang safeties, side safeties, auto safeties, and manual safeties, O/U, S/S, Simi auto, and a dozen other differences. I don't find any hindrance in the use of any of them, except where having a few doubles with single triggers, and Auto safeties. Those two items have caused me some mistakes on occasion so those two features are never on a DGR that I use. I do have two double rifles in small NON-DGR chammberings with auto safeties, and one with a single trigger. Most all my O/U shotguns are single selective triggers, and auto safeties. All my S/S shotguns have two triggers, and all have manual safeties, or exposed hammers, and no safety.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have four rifles, and/or shotguns consistency across the board makes sense, but if you have 75 or 80 long guns, and rifles of many different types it is almost impossible to make them all consistent in features, and IMO not necessary

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

there is a reason most O/U double rifle chamber no larger than the 9.3X74R, and most come with a single trigger, and auto safety. The reason is the O/U is not well suited for dangerous game hunting, by most double rifle users.

................ coffee

I'm interested to know what actual experience do you have, hunting DG or other game with O/U doubles chambered for cartridges larger than 9.3 x 74R?

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:
quote:

there is a reason most O/U double rifle chamber no larger than the 9.3X74R, and most come with a single trigger, and auto safety. The reason is the O/U is not well suited for dangerous game hunting, by most double rifle users.

................ coffee

I'm interested to know what actual experience do you have, hunting DG or other game with O/U doubles chambered for cartridges larger than 9.3 x 74R?

I'd be interested to know what makes you think anyone who considers them unsuitable for dangerous game would use one to hunt dangerous game when he had another choice?

I 'd be interested in knowing, as well, where you get off thinking I owe you any explanation about anything! It is quite clear that you have a dislike for me,and challenge me at every opportunity! That is your privilege, but, here and now, let me make something very clear to you! I will not acknowledge any post to, or about me posted by you in future. You may think anything you wish!

...................... No more pissers contests!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks All. Mac thank you for your opinion and thoughts all good in my books. The reason i looked at this rifle in the first place was it just pinged an intrest. I would love to own a double again after having a merkel 470NE but cost is a bit of an isssue. Also I had a look at a beretta u/o double.It felt and pointed realy well along with the fact I shot a custom ruger in 458 years ago that had been converted from a 20g and it was very accurate and quick pointing.For a rifle that will only get a few runs so to speak along with the fact I have someone intrested in purchasing my 404 jeffery thought it would be a great toy to play with,save some coin and take it to Moz for some plains game and a buff.Over all I will just keep dreaming for now I guess.cheers all

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
My question to you was not intended to start a pissing match. You have been posting for years about the O/U's unsuitability for use on DG and I was merely wondering if your opinion was based on any actual field experiences.
You have typed many hundreds, and really probably thousands of words on various forums, describing how the O/U just doesn't cut it for hunting DG, and how the O/U design does not work well when chambered for the large DG cartridges.
Sooner or later somone is likely to ask how you formed that (very strong) opinion.
For some reason asking that question seems to have really struck a nerve with you, and as you don't wish to answer, I won't ask it again.
Have a nice day. Smiler

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
by MacD37

I'd be interested to know what makes you think anyone who considers them unsuitable for dangerous game would use one to hunt dangerous game when he had another choice?

5seventy,
I did answer you in the quote above!
.............Over and out!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong with O&U doubles and the drivel about them being slower to reload than a SxS is nonsense.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Phil what make is that 450-400? Looks like you had some fun with them? again i just like the look of them and think it would be a cool change in the gun safe tu2

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The rife is a Zoli 450/400 and is built on their rugged Z-gun frame.
It can be had with single trigger is desired but comes with the double trigger as standard on their big bores.

I have posted these photos on other threads but will do so again here

Unlike SxS doubles they can also be used at longer ranges

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Phil, Was that last pic taken on the SE side of Kodiak near Olga Bay? It looks familiar..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Unlike SxS doubles they can also be used at longer ranges

Phil

were this remark for fun, or do you really belive there is any difference in the two ?

I see no reason why you shouldent be abel to make a decent O/U DGR rifle, it is not for me as i dont like the height of the action expecially with heavy recoil, as to me it feels as it is harder to control when shot, but technially there is no reason why you couldent make one every bit as good as a S/S.

allthough to my eye they still dont have as gracefull lines as a proper S/S Wink sofa

but there is NO difference between the two regarding regulation of the barrels, hence the long range capabillity is the same

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
by MacD37

5seventy,
I did answer you in the quote above!
.............Over and out!

Well you've lost me. I don't know who you think you're answering, but it's not me. You seem to be answering a question which I have never asked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I don't see anything wrong with O&U doubles and the drivel about them being slower to reload than a SxS is nonsense.

I totally agree.
There is plenty said about all the supposed problems associated with the O/U double rifle, often by people who have little to no experience on the subject.
Those who do have experience know a different story.
That Zoli looks like it does the job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of the top PH's in Africa use O7U .470's and I know one has just ordered a spare set of 500/416 barrels for elephant hunting as well.

Yes, in an O7U I would insist on selective ejectors - but the only ones I have handled had that feature anyway. Certainly no slower to reload than my Krieghoff...Since I have put in the practice with the K gun I am getting to really like the double triggers but when I first got it, I could easily have lived with a single trigger and barrel selector like my shotgun...not that you have to have a single trigger on an O/U Wink and a single trigger is an option for both the Krieghoff and Blaser I note...so some folk must like them

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Phil: Damn that's a nice Sitka blacktail!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but there is NO difference between the two regarding regulation of the barrels, hence the long range capabillity is the same

Peterdk I was under the impression that some O/U double rifles have barrel adjustment capabilities, while I am not aware of S/S double rifles (other than Blaser) having that capability. This does give you some more flexibility in regulation of barrels.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
peter

blaser, baikal and a few other producers of like quality Wink Wink rotflmo makes barrel systems that the client can regulate themself. i think most of these systems are rather ungainly and i am not sure of the value of them in regards to the shooting that takes place while hunting.

since it will cost you a low nominal fee to have JJ reregulate the rifle for you, if you deside to change load, i cant see the use for them at all, but i am old fasioned and have no need for jumping between loads, once i have a good load that works with the gun, i just shoot the gun enough for me to know how it shoots at different distances.

example:

9,3 = 286 grains
375 = 300 grains
410 = 400 grains

and on and on, this along with the 75% rule is in general enough for me.

i do like some of the belgium browning O/U DR as they are very sleek and well made rifles.

best

peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
blaser, baikal and a few other producers of like quality

OUCH!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
One thing a serious user of ANY rifle for DG must have is familiarity with their rifle. Since I also use O&U shotguns with double triggers the Zoli feels comfortable
You can see the similarity between it and my 1935's vintage Beretta S-2 12 ga and my Prandelli 28 ga.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
blaser, baikal and a few other producers of like quality

OUCH!
Peter.

sorry peter

i just couldent help myself Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aww geez Phil...here I was going to be all witty and post something about O/U double owners being the sort of men that would sleep in their underwear, then you have to show up and circumvent all my fun!

I'm sitting here right now looking at a Canadian dealer with a new Sabatti O/U 9.3x74R $2295. Same fellow has a Verney-Carron O/U 9.3x74R for $3695. Seems to me to be a pretty reasonably priced way into the double market, though lacking the cachet of a SxS (FWIW he also has a Sabatti SxS in 9.3x74R for $3399).

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
Aww geez Phil...here I was going to be all witty and post something about O/U double owners being the sort of men that would sleep in their underwear, then you have to show up and circumvent all my fun!

Shoot, I've been known to sleep in all my clothes when I need to stay warm and will use any rifle that works - so you are not technically wrong.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot