THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Scope mounts on a double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounts on a double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been studying the idea of putting a set of scope mounts on my Kodiak 45-70. I know its a sacrilege in some people's thinking to scope a double but my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I would want a good quality QD type set up but have not found anything that would work. The rib is flat so mounting would not be a huge problem.
Any ideas on where to look

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have scopes on 2 of my doubles, a Chapuis in 9,3x74R, and a British double in 450/400.
The Chapuis has their swing mount the 400 has claw mounts.
I am a big believer in a scope on a double.

On your Kodiak, IF the rib is strong enough you could have quality QD bases just screwed to the rib.
I would mount the scope as low as possible.

Contact Pederosoli by email and ask them if the rib is strong enough.

I would recommend something in the 1 to 5 range with an illuminated reticle.
The Leupold 1.5-5 would work great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I have been studying the idea of putting a set of scope mounts on my Kodiak 45-70. I know its a sacrilege in some people's thinking to scope a double but my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I would want a good quality QD type set up but have not found anything that would work. The rib is flat so mounting would not be a huge problem.
Any ideas on where to look

Rolland, unless you are very lucky, you will have to mill two places in the top of the rib so both bases will be the same. Though the rib looks flat,to the naked eye, it isn't necessarily flat enough for scope mounting. The test this take to flat bottomed bases and mount rings on top. Now sit the bases, and rings where you want to mount each. Now look from behind, to see if the holes for the scope line up. My bet is they wont!

I have a Pedersoli double that had a set of Warne QD bases simply placed on the rib, and the holes drilled, and tapped, and the bases screwed down. When rings were mounted on the bases, they didn't line up with each other, one leaning to the right, and the other leaning to the left. The two places,for a two piece bases, or the one place for a single base must be milled absolutely flat, with the barrel set held level, in the mill vice, to get an acceptable result!

..................Good luck! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
What about a "scout mount" in the dovetail for the three folding rear sights? I know it is not realy a QD set up, but it is already milled out. Maybe add a couple of screws to lock it in place. Or make the insert piece with a fixed standing rear express sight and QD scout mount.

The main thing I do not like about the Kodiaks is that all of the rear sight are folding. The 50/100 sight should be a perminent standing sight.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only eyeballed the rib and not taken any real measurements. By looking I "assumed" that it was flat further examination is in order. But even so rather than mill the rib maybe the best bet would be to machine a base or couple of them. I am waiting on Pedersoli to get back to me, I queried them on what there recommendation is as to mounting a scope.
Back to the drawing board. killpc

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland
I must say I think it would be worth the effort to have good QD mounts and a good scope on your 45/70 double.

A scoped 45/70 double would be a great hunting gun. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on Talley bases with a set of QD rings. It looks like I could mill a set of bases down to allow the sights to be used.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scope the rifle. Call Talley for otions.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Rolland

The tally mounts work fine but on your double keep in mind that after you mill the rib down to fit the bases the levers on the rings my not rotate around enough too take the scope off before it bumps into the barrel. I'm not saying it wont work you would just need to look closely at before going forward with the job.

Also make sure your milling into solid steel and not a hollow portion of the rib.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AK
That is a valid concern and I have been giving it some thought. I have a email off to Pedersoli about the rib and to Talley on their thoughts on using a set of the QD rings and mounts.
Thanks for the heads up thumb

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Lee LeBas, Carson city, NV (Joseph L. LeBas III [learmes@msn.com]) before you machine anything. I have learned the last few days that there are a bunch of different mounting optons for DR's. Lee informed me that Racknagel makes 4 different swing mounts. Until talking (via e-mail) with Lee, I was not aware that the Chapuis swing mount was made by Recknagel specifically for Chapuis. The rear mount is called an H-7. To get an extra set of rings you will have to special order them from Recknagel ($200) thru NECG. I know that to be true as I am exploring the option of a second set of rings for a backup scope and that is the sum of an e-mail received from NECG. Decision TBD (do it / don't do it are running neck & neck!) DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland I have 2 scopes in rings for my Chapuis, using pivot mounts, they both go back to zero 100%.

posted Hide Post
Have you thought about installing a quarter rib and using whatever mounts you want?

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE450No2
Is there a chance you could post a photo of the mount you used. I don't find a listing with a photo and am unsure what a pivot mount is.
Confused

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland
Sorry I am unable [computer skill lacking] to post a picture. I am sire soemone else has a photo, maybe fron a DRSS event.

It works like a Leupold front ring, but the back ring has a lever that will work with the scope mounted low to the bbl.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Rolland -

This may give you some idea:

The bases

And with the scope on

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland those are the ones.

LRH270, Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Hope that 'splains it, cause they're the only pics I have of the bases and the rifle's in France.............

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That "splains" it real good
thanks

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland
Again I will say it is worth the "trouble" to get a scope mounted on your 45/70 double.

If you think about it there is not any North American game that is not suited to a a 45/70 double, out to 150, yards or so, a scope only adds to your hitability.

You can show up to any DRSS event with your Pedersoli 45/70, with a smile on your face, they are good doubles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have all of you registered?

As child molesters, sex deviates, folks that bark at the moon and chase rabbits at night, suck blood from peoplel on a full moon, and lets not forget putting scopes on double rifles, bows and spears! Smiler Smiler Smiler

Yeah, I am one of those who protest loudly, and if I ever do mount one on a double, you will never know it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I am one of those who protest loudly, and if I ever do mount one on a double, you will never know it.

Based on conversations with fellow DRSS members, is it possible that the reason we would never know is that you would sell the rifle faster than the flash of a camera? Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Razzer

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member