THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    100 yd regulation target .38-55 Mcpherson Express
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 yd regulation target .38-55 Mcpherson Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you will recall that I have been building the subject DR.

Regulation completed in Sep. Here is photo. I use "cross targets" because of my 75 year old eyes.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
excellent regulation and shooting. beer

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Fantastic for 100 yds! Maybe there is something to the accuracy reputation of the .38-55 after all.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I would like to see a picture of the rifle and cartridge, please!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Awesome! I would like to see a picture of the rifle and cartridge, please!

Rusty;

I will attach photos per your request. I will also add some photos of the engraving of the DR that I started a couple of weeks ago. The subject DR is the bottom DR in 1st photo. The top DR is a 20 bore slug rifle (Rem 265 grain sabot--1900 fps)that I built 3-4 years ago with V-C barrel blanks.

Everything is in the white now. I am going to engrave the barrels this week and start the rust blueing of same.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Apparently not only can you build a rifle but you sure as heck can shoot! I can only wish for that when I hit 75.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .20-bore Dr who was the builder? and what action did you they use?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
The .20-bore Dr who was the builder? and what action did you they use?

Big Will;

I built using a Turkish Yildiz 4140 alloy steel 12 gauge action.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dear God, may I someday possess 1 percent of the great skill that you have blessed our friend Transvaal with?

Cool

By the way, a friend recently posted his success using an old Marlin rebored to .38-55 and loaded with soft cast and black powder on an antelope hunt in Wyoming. This is a very capable and venerable cartridge.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Transvaal,

The engraving is beautiful. Intricate and tastefully done.

I understand the place and value of guns from the big makers but when I see guns such as these I think many of the others suffer in comparison.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Transvaal,

That is some nice work and a credit to your skills and patience. The profile, the engraving, the fit and finish show you have an eye for detail. I saw in one of your earlier threads how you overcame the challenge of shoe lump jointing the barrels on this action, interesting, and you used the Holland style regulating wedge? Looks like it's well balanced. Where did the weight of this rifle end up un-scoped?

Am I correct in remembering that the .375 caliber barrels are the "light" set and you are also doing a larger caliber barrel set?

Thank you and please keep sharing the progress of this build with us.

Rhodes

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes:
Transvaal,

That is some nice work and a credit to your skills and patience. The profile, the engraving, the fit and finish show you have an eye for detail. I saw in one of your earlier threads how you overcame the challenge of shoe lump jointing the barrels on this action, interesting, and you used the Holland style regulating wedge? Looks like it's well balanced. Where did the weight of this rifle end up un-scoped?

Am I correct in remembering that the .375 caliber barrels are the "light" set and you are also doing a larger caliber barrel set?

Thank you and please keep sharing the progress of this build with us.

Rhodes

Rhodes;
Thank you. The DR has been an interesting challenge.

The weight of the DR w/o scope is 8lbs 6 ounces; with weight with L-pold lightweight scope 9lbs 3 ounces.

The 22.5" barrels weigh 4 3/4 lbs with both extractors, ribs, ramps, sights and fore-end loop.

I have the second set of barrel blanks in hand now and they are to be .375 H&H Flanged Magnum NE. I plan to turn theses second set of barrels down to where the DR will weigh 9lbs w/o scope. I likely will make these barrels at 24-25 inch length.

P.s. I read with much interest of the 49,000 year old site of human activity and residence in Australia.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know the actions in the pictures?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

8 1/2 lb, a good weight in my opinion. Some may wish for lighter to carry with a light caliber but where you are at it will shoot like a pussycat and when fatigued, after a long stalk, it will hold and aim rock steady. A blessing.

Yes I did read about the 49,000 year old site discovery. There has been some discussion over here recently about the early Dutch merchant ships landing here in the 1400's. Kind of pales in comparison.

Out of interest, what muzzle diameter did you end up with?

Regards Darren

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very fine work indeed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes:
Steve,

8 1/2 lb, a good weight in my opinion. Some may wish for lighter to carry with a light caliber but where you are at it will shoot like a pussycat and when fatigued, after a long stalk, it will hold and aim rock steady. A blessing.

Yes I did read about the 49,000 year old site discovery. There has been some discussion over here recently about the early Dutch merchant ships landing here in the 1400's. Kind of pales in comparison.

Out of interest, what muzzle diameter did you end up with?

Regards Darren

Darren;

The muzzle diameter is .565". In regards to the muzzle diameter and barrel taper, from mid point of the 22.5" barrels to muzzle the taper is .035".

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
I would like to know the actions in the pictures?

CZ BRNO ZP49

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:

Darren;

The muzzle diameter is .565". In regards to the muzzle diameter and barrel taper, from mid point of the 22.5" barrels to muzzle the taper is .035".

Steve

Steve,

Thank you. Plenty of wall thickness there. Looking forward to seeing her done.

Darren

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pictures! You most certainly do make a beautiful double rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiting impatiently, to see what you do with the plates. 38-55 is a fun choice, and this has the makings of a really nice piece...

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote