Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I am curious, how many of you have .375 doubles and for those that do, which one do you have, the flanged version or the belted case? Ganyana already mentioned he has a Krieghoff flanged .375.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Holland flanged magnum double.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym 55b sidelock 375 H&H belted and have great luck with it.

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a krieghoff belted 375 H&H

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:

Gatsby, where do you get your brass?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rigby Sidelock (RBRTB) in 375 Fl Magnum

Something (can't remember the maker) (Boxlock) in 375 Fl Magnum

Merkel in 375H&H

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purdey 375 belted, Westley 375 flanged, H&H 375 flanged.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
Purdey 375 belted, Westley 375 flanged, H&H 375 flanged.

I need to become a "sinner"!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Abiatico Y Salvinelli (Farmars) sidelock in 375 H&H Belted Magnum.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:

Gatsby, where do you get your brass?

I got a hundred or more loaded rounds with the gun, all Holland loadings. Several hundred new cases became available thru one of the auction houses a few years back and I have some of those, I don't remember how many. Do you need some?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
gatsby:

I don't have a .375 double. My "light" double is a .500/.416. Ganyana posted that he had a flanged .375 and that got me to wondering who had one and how many flanged guns were out there. Some say the belted cartridge should not be used in a double but everyone seems to make a double in .375 H&H and the belted brass is sure easier to come by.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
After loading for bore guns and paradoxes which needed custom made brass, molds, nonexistant bullets, specialty tools and powders for load developement, I never considered finding flanged 375 brass as difficult.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
My friend's Victor Sarasquetta in .375 flanged (I am not aware of any .375 Belted double in the neighbourhood):

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I had a Westley Richards 375 flanged magnum a few years ago, and have a bad knee from kicking my own butt for selling it! I have some 375FL Mag brass and dies but hold on to it thinking I might find another rifle I can afford someday!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have a bad knee from kicking my own butt for selling it

Hilarious!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms has some Bertram cases. Don't know if they are good or not though.....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about every DR maker out there offers their rifles in the 375 belted H&H. If there were any "bugs" to be worked out with a rimless 375 in a DR, I'm sure they've been taken care of by now.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave - I have seen and handled a few double rifles built for the .458 Win. They worked, but the extractor/ejector system for them did not inspire confidence that they were a long term solution- Small and with a powerful spring set up - you also couldn't throw the rounds into the guns and slam them shut

To be fair, I have never seen one of the newer/better .375 belted doubles like from Heym or Krieghoff, and don't know how they have solved the issue. Of course, the Krieghoff just extracts, so uou could just as easily have the extractor in front of the belt rather than in the groove of the rim.

.375FL brass- there are three makes that I have tried. Krieghoff (which used to be WR but they have moved up to someone alot better), Bertram (which is used by Kynock - and I don't like) and Norma. At present Norma brass is only generally available as loaded ammo at a horrible price, but they have anounced that they will begin selling brass this year. These will be plain brass cases- if you want nickeled ones you will have to buy some factory ammo!

Personally I like to keep my solids in Nickeled cases and softs in brass - but being a world class scrounger....I load woodleigh solids and Swift A frames

Geoff Macdonald at woodleigh will send you .374" solids with the cannelure in the right place for .375 FL

My only real issue with mine is that I have gone through about 1000 rounds since I got it last year and the practice alone is threatening to take food from my kids mouths (but darn, is it fun to shoot).

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Big Grin ya hard to beat that warm feeling spitting ~300gr through .366 Flanged at 1/4 of the price...

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Big Grin ya hard to beat that warm feeling spitting ~300gr through .366 Flanged at 1/4 of the price...

But it is a good thing these guys with all this money keep up the demand for the obscure and over-rated cartridges to keep them from a complete, final, and lonesome death.

Nostalgia rules, and be glad for it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
you also couldn't throw the rounds into the guns and slam them shut

Ganyana, all,

There is a trick that allows one to just drop in the rounds and close the gun with 458wm double rifles, like any other rifles in flanged cartridges. At least in my rifle.

The trick is using a buffer to round off the forward shoulder of the belt. Care must be execised since the cartridge head spaces on the belt, but the shoulder is easily rounded while leaving more than adequate belt.

Also, to make this trick work 100% reliably, all brass to be used hunting DG needs to be full length sized. It is remarkable how much brass is out of round from the factory.

After loading, to make sure each and every round will drop into the chamber past the paw that engages the groove, I drop each round into the right chamber, remove, twist 90* and repeat through 360* and then do the same with the left chamber. Any rounds that don't drop right into the chambers are culled and set aside for shooting practice.

I haven't tried this with my 375H&H double, and I'm not sure it would work, since I think the 450 or 500gr bullet of the 458wm helps drop the rounds into the chambers.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

But it is a good thing these guys with all this money keep up the demand for the obscure and over-rated cartridges to keep them from a complete, final, and lonesome death.

Will, all kidding aside, do you really believe that there is a marked difference in power between the flanged .375 and the 9.3X74R. Kynoch .375 flanged ammo is loaded with a 300 grain bullet at 2425 fps but that is out of a 28 inch barrel so it is probably really only running at about 2400 fps out of the 24 inch barrel of most modern guns and those are the ballistics that gave the flanged .375 it vaunted reputation. Supposedly, Norma 9.3X74R ammunition runs 2360 fps with a 286 grain bullet. With the quality of modern bullets, do you think the flanged .375 is markedly better than the 9.3?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the .375 flanged have the slight advantage of being legal for dangerous game in places where the 9.3 technically isn't? Or is that generally irrelevant in real world application?

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Only fly on .375 Fl ammo is brass - with all the .375 bullets available it does make a lot of sence...then there is a rifle cost difference between .366 and .375...bugger!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

Will, all kidding aside, do you really believe that there is a marked difference in power between the flanged .375 and the 9.3X74R. Kynoch .375 flanged ammo is loaded with a 300 grain bullet at 2425 fps but that is out of a 28 inch barrel so it is probably really only running at about 2400 fps out of the 24 inch barrel of most modern guns and those are the ballistics that gave the flanged .375 it vaunted reputation. Supposedly, Norma 9.3X74R ammunition runs 2360 fps with a 286 grain bullet. With the quality of modern bullets, do you think the flanged .375 is markedly better than the 9.3?

If one assumes nominal (old Kynoch) velocities fpr the 375's, all with 300 gr. bullets, and all with 24" barrels, and a muzzle velocity of 2370 fps for the 9.3's, 2400 fps for the H&H, 2325 fps for the Flanged, here are the bullet muzzle energies, Taylor's KO vales, and Penetration Indices:

Cartridge Energy K.O. PI
9.3x74R(9.3x62) 3741 37 113
375 Flanged 3601 37 99
375 H&H 3837 39 106

Take your pick, eh?

Of course handloads can change these results.

Save your pennies, the next book with all this stuff in it is coming this summer.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I really think there is a difference between the 9,3x74 and my .375 FL??? Not enough to spend alot of money on. I hunt in Zim where the 9,3 is legal.

Over a chronograph at harare altitudes I gain an extra 14grns in bullet weight going 65fps faster and 8 thou greater diamiter.

Sadly nobody offers 9,3x74R loads really set up for dangerous game - Norma is talking about offering the 286grn Swift but I haven't seen any yet, so it is a handloading proposition...but then, I shoot very little factory ammo anyway Wink All the factory ammo available for the .375 FL that I have seen (whether from Germany, England or Sweden) uses 300grn woodleigh softs and solids.

It is a minor theoretical advantage that any factory ammo for the .375 FL is intended for big game where as most 9,3x74 is intended for wild boar. It is also legal in those few unenlightened places where the 9,3 isn't deemed to be the minimum caliber

And lastly, I already own a 9,3 (x62) and trying to obtain a licence for another 9,3 (abet x74) would have got the girls in firearms registry's tits into a collective tangle.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 286gr bullets go @2225fps out of my 9,3x74R double rifle.

It has worked great on some deer, big pigs, and a couple of big black bear.

Killed a kudu at a little over 300 yards, killed several zebra and other plains game with no problems.

On the really BIG stuff...
2 Woodleigh Solids took down a giraffe.

One Woodleigh Soft into the chest of a cape buff in the SAVE, he was down and dead in less than 40 yards...

Again in the SAVE, I side brained a cow elephant at 5 yards. The Woodleigh Solid went complently through the head.

IMHO anything that I could do with a 375 H&H I could [and have] done with a 9,3x74R.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Ganyana

quote:
I hunt in Zim where the 9,3 is legal.

Hmmm - did'nt know that. What are the chances my .338 double would be legal for buff in Zim. It's been 15 years since I was last there and I think it's time I get back.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Originally posted by Ganyana

quote:
I hunt in Zim where the 9,3 is legal.

Hmmm - did'nt know that. What are the chances my .338 double would be legal for buff in Zim. It's been 15 years since I was last there and I think it's time I get back.

No luck, the 9.3 is the minimum diameter bullet for buff (and ele.)

I am pretty sure that your rifle would be legal for lion and am sure it is legal for leopard.

JPK

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 375 H&H rimless belted magnum.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Searcy 375 Flanged.....brass from Jamison.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a single shot, Holland/Woodward patent that I am rebarreling to .375 FL. It just seemed right. I hope to take an Asiatic Water Buffalo with it in the summer of 2011.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote