Tools

Firearm Insurance??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello All,

I about to take delivery of a Searcy Field grade 470 NE. dancing

The fact that this is the third gun I will now own that is worth more than my truck I am looking at firearm insurance for the first time.

I am hoping to get some advice from you guys out there. I have a safe, all my stuff is locked up at home and a burglary is not at all what I am worried about.

I am in the market for insurance that will ABSOLUTLY cover the loss of listed firearms at ALL TIMES especialy while IN TRANSIT.

In other words, I want insurance that will cover loss a loss that occurs anywhere, no matter if it is on a Delta flight from Boston to San Diego or a hotel room in Ouagadougau.

I know from personal experience I would probably have better luck getting the hotel in Burkina Fasso to pay up rather than to get TSA or a airline to cover the loss of a 10K plus firearm!!

I have looked at the NRA sponsored Arms Care Policy so far. I am intrested in waht other guys around here use??

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The best pricing I found avalable was Core-Vens. With the travel insurance they have built in 10% of your collection for travel. So if you insure 100K worth of firearms the policy comes with 10K for travel. Last trip I was taking a couple of my nice guns and had to up the travel insurance another 15K for that trip. They only charged me I think an addional $16 bucks. I have not had to turn in a claim so I don't konw how they do there. I think DSC recommends them. For my collection they only charged me about .2% of the value for the annual policy.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I am planning to move to Core-Vens for my personal guns too. They are less expensive than my current provider.

I know one manufacturer that uses them for his business, and he had a claim in January for about 18K. He said a check was proptly delivered.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I third the reccomendation for Core-vens. I insured my entire collection for less than SIAI wanted to insure the two rifles I am taking to Zim in 10 days. Granted on is a double but SIAI who I have always used wanted a house payment to insure those two rifles.

Plus for the insurance to pay with SIAI your rifle had to be stolen by a Buddist monk while it was snowing in the Caprivi but only if Texans were organizing a Pro-Obama rally in Fort Worth at the same time.........Ok maybe it isnt that extreme but I do know that the last time I used SIAI if your firearm was stolen from a car......or due to negligence such as leaving it in the bush accidentially and not being able to find it later......NO PAY.

Core-Vens will pay on losses due to negligence and really whatever happens, they will even pay for repairs if you drive over it in the land cruiser......I am sure of this because I asked!

Good Luck!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's yet another recommendation for Core-Vens.

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely stay away from SIAI. Their two main goals in life are to collect your money and never pay a claim. I had a minor run in with them over an airline damaged gun that they refused to pay. I simply dropped them and moved on.

I haven't tried Core-Vens but I am now using Collectors. I couldn't tell if they were worth while or not as I've never had to file a claim with them and that is the true measure of an insurance company.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Is there a website contact for Core-Vens?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just switched from SIA to Core-Vens.

Pricing was far better, and the paperwork to sign up was much less burdensome.

But to prove a loss, you will need the back up paperwork, including purchase invoices and, in keeping with best practices, photos. But with Core-Vens, you won't need them up front.

Only disadvantage is that in transit coverage is limited to $25K.

Still, though, that's plenty for most, and enough for me.

They do have a website, but I don't have it handy. Google them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I had insurance on all my guns through the NRA Armscare program for the last couple of years but have now just added a rider to my homeowners policy with Allied Insurance. I will have to check out Core-Vens though. I hadn't heard about them before.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Call Jack Richardson at Eastern Insurance in Pembroke, Mass. They have the best rates I would find and specialize in collectable firearms. I don't have the number right now but google it. I just added an Alex Henry best quality 8-bore.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Just switched from SIA to Core-Vens.

Pricing was far better, and the paperwork to sign up was much less burdensome.

But to prove a loss, you will need the back up paperwork, including purchase invoices and, in keeping with best practices, photos. But with Core-Vens, you won't need them up front.

Only disadvantage is that in transit coverage is limited to $25K.

Still, though, that's plenty for most, and enough for me.

They do have a website, but I don't have it handy. Google them.

MR, You are right on except for the $25K max travel coverage. I dont know what their ceiling is, I do know their std is $10K but I am going to Zim in 10 days and they are giving me travel coverage for $75K, I had to pay a little extra but it was less than $100 for the extra coverage.

Have a good one

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does SIA stand for...

Dave Bush. I'm not in the insurance business and I did'nt sleep at a holiday Inn express but I would recommend that you not have two insurances simultaneously on your guns. In the event of a lost both insurances may refuse to pay even a very small claim because they do not want to set a precedent as to which insurance is primarily responsible for payment... Again I am no expert but I know for a fact that this happens.

this is a good thread. In fact it would be great if there was reliable feed back on which companies will actually make payment in the event of a loss. We know for a fact the airlines and UPS are almost impossible to get reimbursement from in the case of loss or damage.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
els:

I don't have two insurance policies in effect. When my Armscare insurance ran out, I switched it over to my Allied homeowners policy. I will keep it there for this year but next year, I am going to look into the Core-Vens coverage. It looks like more coverage for less money.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
That is correct..... on the traverler's insurance. You get 10% automatically of the value of your collection.....Then they will just quote you on any addional travel you need. Very reasonable.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote