THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Picked up a Merkel 7x65R double last week
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Merkel 7x65R double last week
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Unfortunately I will have to get a scope set up on it as my eyes ain't what they used to be. I don't have the factory regulation info yet but it does shoot the 170gr Norma vulcans very good. I still mis the 9.3 but this will tide me over until I can get another one.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wonderful rifle. Any more details and perhaps some photos?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Unfortunately I will have to get a scope set up on it as my eyes ain't what they used to be. I don't have the factory regulation info yet but it does shoot the 170gr Norma vulcans very good. I still mis the 9.3 but this will tide me over until I can get another one.

................................................................................ tu2 That will make the whitetails nervous and the hogs run for cover!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain, I just bought that Merkel DR in 6.5x55 last week. Fortunately, it has claw mounts and a S&B scope. I'd call JJ Perodeau and have him add a single base for a holo sight....lighter and less likely to affect regulation.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Brain. What does yours weigh? The few small caliber Merkels I have seen have been some heavy pigs.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
McKay, It's heavier than my previous 9.3x74R, This one is on a 20g size frame not 28g. I don't have an accurate scale but maybe 8-8.5lbs.
I am having trouble deciding on a scope setup. Herbert at Merkel can do a Recknagel setup which is what my 9.3 had. I really liked it.
This gun had some sort of small optic installed just behind rear sight. I will try to get a picture or 2 posted. If I could a setup for whatever it had before that would be sufficient (for now).

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Trijicon says it fits an RM58 reflex mount.
YEEEEEE HAWWWWW we in biznus now.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Thats great that it is that light. Most I have seen would go a touch over 9 lb. and over 10 scoped. That's just insane I think as my most used double is a 470 and it is under 10. I would love something small like this or a 6.5mm but would want it under 8lb and closer to 7. But I like light hunting guns.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
My 500 is 10 pounds empty.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Brian does your new Merkel have ejectors? If so that is a model 140E-1. Mine is a 9.3X74R 140E-1 on a 20 ga size action and it weighs in at 8.3 pounds and has just under 24 In barrels. IMO 8 pounds is not too heavy for the 140E-1 and I would bet yours is a little lighter than 8 pounds. Having selective ejectors adds a few ounces to the weight, because of the extra steel of hammers and springs in the forearm.

If I remember correctly, your 9.3X74R Merkel was a mod. 141-1 on a 28 ga size action, with a little over 22 inch barrels and to me was a little light for a 9.3X74R. A scope would have added some positive weight IMO. I don't remember if that rifle had ejectors or not.

Of course what one likes in the weight of a rifle is a personal choice, but I have very few rifles that weigh less than 8 pounds.

...................Congratulations on your find! beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Mac, you are correct. This gun does have ejectors as well. I like it so far but need optics to get a better group as my eyes are not what they were.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac, you are correct. This gun does have ejectors as well. I like it so far but need optics to get a better group as my eyes are not what they were.

I understand about the need for optics on a double rifle! In my case I have developed macular degeneration in my right eye, and I am right handed so I really have a problem picking up the front sight. I'm installing a Trigicon 1-5 scope on all my rifles so I can shoot with both eyes open. I can still see the illumination with right eye, and with both eyes open the binocular effect lets me see the target and the dot in the scope as well. With seven double rifles this is going to get expensive but the alternative is to quit shooting, and you know I'm not going to do that!
I think you will love that little double rifle and it would make a fine deer and elk rifle!
.................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

I understand about the need for optics on a double rifle! In my case I have developed macular degeneration in my right eye, and I am right handed so I really have a problem picking up the front sight. I'm installing a Trigicon 1-5 scope on all my rifles so I can shoot with both eyes open. I can still see the illumination with right eye, and with both eyes open the binocular effect lets me see the target and the dot in the scope as well. With seven double rifles this is going to get expensive but the alternative is to quit shooting, and you know I'm not going to do that!
I think you will love that little double rifle and it would make a fine deer and elk rifle!
.................................................................... tu2

You could always sell a few to me at a good price... It'll save money on additional scopes and fund the others scope purchases!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
You could always sell a few to me at a good price... It'll save money on additional scopes and fund the others scope purchases!

.................. jumping
That is one solution I suppose, and I guess I could just never hunt with them again, and mount them on my trophy room walls and look at them without scopes!

.......................Decisions, decisions.......... CRYBABY !

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
DSC Member, step away from the crack pipe. Mac ain't that old and you ain't that lucky. Of course I ain't that lucky either.
I tell you what pisses me off, I find all these cool rifle right after deer season closes and I still have to wait 6 months to get to Namibia to try them out on bigger stuff.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have to wait 6 months to get to Namibia to try them out on bigger stuff.

Hey, you're in Hog country! Perfect practice.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Going looking this afternoon after I close the gun shop.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I hope you whack a few. Texas hog hunting is my favorite. It's cheap or free and year round.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote