Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my new Searcy today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I finally got a chance to shoot my Searcy Classic .450/.400 3" with a the proper regulation load (82 grains of IMR-4831, Jamison brass, Federal 215 primers and Woodleigh 400 grain SP's).

Butch's regulation target was too good to be true with all four bullets touching. Well, almost too good to be true. I shot several 1" groups with the little Leupold 2.5x scope, and, needless to say, am well pleased.

I got him to put a fiber optic sight on the front and its a bit high as the irons print 4" low, but that's a fixable thing even for a mechanically challenged idiot like me. The rear needs a bit of adjustment since it clusters everything a bit to the left, so I'll tap over the rear a smidgen and replace the front sight with a lower one. I never seem to shoot irons to anyone's point of aim anyway, for some reason. I don't care who built the rifle, the irons need fooling with??? I guess I have a warped eyeball or something.

BTW, I found the fiber optic sight a great boon for my old eyes.

I'll post a picture of the regulation target and my shots on Monday when I get to the office, but I had to share my good fortune with ya'll. Somewhere in Tanzania, I reckon that a couple of buffalo might have been having a nightmare.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear Ernest. The picture you posted of your rifle sure was nice, glsd it shoots as well as it looks! Looking forward to seeing it in person when we come up next month. Did you get the pics we sent you? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Of the beach? I responded by p.m. or e-mail, I can't remember. P-cola is a pretty place.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Judge, is that Butchs regulation load? I use 80.0 gr. and though that it was about the duplicate load. I'd be curious as to the velocity with the 400 gr. bullet. Butch's guns are a hell of a lot stronger than the old Brits! Congratulations on your new gun. Enjoy it! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
That is the regulation load. See Regulation Thread

I'm a wee bit concerned about the Hornady stuff that keeps getting promised. I hope its shoots close to Butch's loads. It's supposed to be at 2050 fps out of a 24" barrel. I think Butch's loads are 2150 out of a 26" barrel, so maybe the two extra inches will push to velocity up a bit and the Hornady's will be "ballpark".

I did shoot some 80 grain loads today. As one might predict, if he knew something about doubles (or had uninformed speculation as I do?), they were 2.5" apart and several inches low, I guess due to the lower velocity?

Anyone shot their new Classic over a chronograph?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judgeg

I doubt there is anything wrong with your eyes. Everytime Butch regulates a rifle for me it shoots about 1.5 to 2.0 inches to the left of center. I think the old guy is a little cross eyed! clap

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His always shoot right of center for me.

I guess nobody has the same calibration on the old mark 83 eyeball.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge, I am so envious of your new rifle. My rifle will not be done until Butch returns from Tanzania this year. I was talking to Mike at North Fork Technology and he needs a barrel cast from one of Butches double rifles so he can measure the dimensions of the lands/grooves in order to make his CPS and FPS properly. Could you send him a cast from each barrel so we can get this project off the ground??
Congratulations on your new double.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Another experience for left and low out of the box. I just figure Butch is an up-right kind of guy.

Changing to a 6.5 from a 7.0 front sight and tapping the rear sight over a pencil lead width fixed it just right.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hmm. we never got the response. Anyhow, see ou next month at Dale's shin-dig! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
He's the regulation target. The scope has a post and crosshair and the post was held where the drawing suggests. The scope is a Leupold 2.5x and just a bit of correction and it will be perfect. Not a bad group, huh? Center to center of the inside/outside holes is exactly 1".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Center to center of the inside/outside holes is exactly 1".

You really ought to get the "rights" and "lefts" labled for best bragging rights. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
Give me one night with your new baby, and I gaur-on-tee, that she'll be hittin in the white circle everytime!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Doc:

I moved the POI over to touch the top of the white. It now shoots a tiny bit more than one inch high and on centerline at 50 yards.

Butch's lady is sending me a lower front sight as I write, so, hopefully, I can get the irons shooting in the same place. I hope I can get this done with the fiber optics because they are really nice for old farts.

And RIP:

The left and right extremes are from the respective barrels, but the center two... I couldn't tell. BTW, the outside shots were from a clean barrel.

Are my bragging rights getting better?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,
Thanks for the further insight.
Bragging rights are assured. In fact, as good as it gets with a human shooter, and there is no other way with a double rifle. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

That is a keeper!

And just imagine how well it will shoot with the target rightside up!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote