New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 3.25 " Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which brass in .450 3.25 inch (BPE) is the best for the cost?
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Hornady and Jamison and Beltran. But for the cost I think Hornady has been the best value. IMHO.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have tried Jamison and Hornady. Between the two I think that the Jamison brass is a little better. Honestly, you cant go wrong either way.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The above two gents said it well. Hornady is the best buy of the three (but their dies suck).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their dies do suck.

One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim M.:
Which brass in .450 3.25 inch (BPE) is the best for the cost?
Thanks!
Jim

I have 40 rounds of once-fired Jamison .450 3-1/4" NE I am willing to sell for $100 shipped to a USA address.

These were loaded for and fired in my Gibbs .450NE. They will be sized, decapped, and tumbled in stainless steel pins and will look like new.

Reply by PM or email to stephens@cfw.com

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hornady brass is best and I have Bertram, Jamison, and Bell.
And Hornady dies have all worked fine for me and I have 6 sets of them..

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with Hornady...Hornady brass has come a LONG way...it might be a bit pricey but you DON'T have to mess with it much...just load it and shoot it...saves time not having to "benchrest prep" your brass if you want a very accurate batch of ammo.

Counting dies brands??? I have 12 sets of Hornady, 10 sets of Redding, 18 sets of RCBS, 5 sets of Lyman and 3 sets of Herters(I think and no longer used), half dozen Wilson sizers and seaters, several sets of the old Lee "hammer" dies, at least a dozen sets of Lee standard 2 die se plus another 5-6 4 die sets, 2 sets from CH4D, not to mention the hack jobs I made for specific purposes...and uncounted bits and pieces and oddities of ALL brands from gun shows.(some cals overlap by several brands)

I'm sure there are more than a few reloaders out there that make my collection look like a paupers shelf...and if you happen to be as cheep as me you can just buy seating sliders from the parts dept in the by several brands) bullet diameter you happen to want to use and swap it into a seater body...works great for wildcats that you might have...I mix and match several 375 and 416 calibers in one seater body and for use making up wildcat dummy's...PLUS it is easy to make nose profiles for FN/RN/SPZ cast lead bullets that don't muck up the bullet tip...to name just a few POSITIVE aspects of Hornady dies.

Only problem I have with Hornady is the seating die...it just looks "different"...BUT...it produces loaded ammo just as accurate as far as run out is concerned as all the other "standard" seaters and ALMOST as accurate as the "benchrest" style seaters. ONE set of Nosler dies works for 26 and 28 Nosler except for the neck sizing...the seater works for BOTH.

EVERY die brand I ever used has had at least one lemon and some several. These are mass produced items and all you have to do is look at ANY population of ANY item and you will find a certain percentage of warts, lemons and uglies...suck it up and SOLVE the problem...EVERY maker will send you a correction if you just talk to them and if you just don't like a particular brand...DON'T USE IT, buy a different brand...no one will mind.

Good Hunting tu2 beer