THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is HAWK A Good Low Cost Practice Bullet at 400 Grain Weight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is HAWK A Good Low Cost Practice Bullet at 400 Grain Weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...and lighter 300 grain weight as well? (.411" diam-

eter) Name other companies I might try. Hornady?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jack, I talked to Andy Hill today and have some 400 grain .416 bullets with the .065 jacket as well as some 400 grain .458 bullets with the .065 jacket on the way. I am going to send some on to Micheal458 and he is going to test them for us. I have been shooting some Hawk bullets with the .035 jacket in my .470. They are soft so they are easy on the bore and I think they would be great for lighter game like deer. I think lots of guy use them to shoot pigs as well. However, I am interested to see how the Hawks with the heavier jackets do. In answer to your question, the Hawk bullets with the .035 jacket are great practice bullets.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
And Hawk will do custom sizes to go along with the jacket thickness's! One guy up here has a Frazer 450/400 with a .4045 bore and needed smaller dia. bullets than is normal. They did it with a 2 box order.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
BFJ,

I have used Hawks 450/400 in 300, 350 and 400 grain (25,35 and 50 jacket thickness) but not on game yet. They are accurate and regulate nicely in my gun. I'd use the thinner ones on deer/hog and the thicker ones on the bigger beasties.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I want a less costly bullet to

practice on paper with and to shoot deer with.
I gather I'm gonna get that in HAWK. wave

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some Hawk 480 grainers for my .450 NE. They have a 0.025" jacket. With the thin, pure copper jacket, the pure lead core, and plenty of exposed lead, I think it will expand on small animals such as deer. The thinner jacket ones cost less too.

One thing I did find though is that the bullet shape demands that the bullet be seated deeper to avoid contacting the rifling while chambering in my Searcy double rifle.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Dave, I had the same experience with my .470. Max length is 3.98. I think I had to seat the 500 grain Hawks down to about 3.765 or so.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used their 300 grain .458 in a black pouder express double. They are just about perfect for light game like pigs and deer.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good going guys, thanks. wave

Jack

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use plain ol Hornady .410 400 grain soft points; not DGXs; seem to be the cheapest factory bullets. I also use Plain Jane Hornady .416s squeezed down to .410, which are cheaper yet, and they shoot fully as well. As in, .75 inch pairs in my K at 50.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Use the Hornady 300gr bullets. They are priced right and shoot great in my .400s. If you are concerned about the .411 diameter call Corbin and have them make you a sizing die to take them to .408.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Corbin sizer and I resize .410s & .411s for my .408 450/400

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use plain ol Hornady .410 400 grain soft points; not DGXs; seem to be the cheapest factory bullets. I also use Plain Jane Hornady .416s squeezed down to .410, which are cheaper yet, and they shoot fully as well. As in, .75 inch pairs in my K at 50.

dpcd,

I've been looking for the old style Hornadys.
Where do you get them and how do you squeeze down the 416's?

Jim

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I can no longer find any Hornady .410s except DGS and DGXs. I used to get them from Midway. I don't know if Hornady still makes them. And, to swage .416s down to .410, I use a bullet swage press and sizing die. Since you are only going down .006, that is pretty easy. Of course you can use the 300 grain .405 WCF bullets in a single shot, but for DRs, they won't regulate. Hornady makes both original round nose, and a spire point as well, which, for the ranges those are used at, is largely for show.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bbls are .411". So Hornady is the least cosly way to go.

I'd love to learn to down size .416s to .411, but first I must

get the basic reloading process squared away.

Jack

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For holes in paper and deer a 300gr Hornady is hard to beat.

I've resized 416s to 410 simply using a lee bullet sizing die. Cost me around $10

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
For holes in paper and deer a 300gr Hornady is hard to beat.

I've resized 416s to 410 simply using a lee bullet sizing die. Cost me around $10

Great info. Which press do you use?

Jack

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great info. Which press do you use

A rockchucker. You need it on a solid bench. The you add a cheater You can alos due it wirhout a cheater but you need to be in the very bottom of the stroke to gain advantage. Without a cheater I would back the die out a few turns then cycle the press then turn in the die a turn ad repeat

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Great info. Which press do you use

A rockchucker. You need it on a solid bench. The you add a cheater You can alos due it wirhout a cheater but you need to be in the very bottom of the stroke to gain advantage. Without a cheater I would back the die out a few turns then cycle the press then turn in the die a turn ad repeat

I'd love to see this on video!

Jack

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jack:

If you call Andy at Hawk, he'll make you up the correct bullet diameter for your gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE