Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with .500 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I just installed an Aimpoint Micro on a Hambrusch .500 NE and I'd like zero it. To those of you who own and shoot a .500 NE, what distance do you recommend it be zeroed at?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I would look at the range it was regulated by the factory or choose a distance 50, 75, 100.

I think my K- 500 was factory regulated at 75.

BTW, my gun happened to shoot well at all ranges I could shoot.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If you are using the .500 on what it was intended to be used on, 50 yards should be adequate.

Mike

Posts: 21220 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I just installed an Aimpoint Micro on a Hambrusch .500 NE and I'd like zero it. To those of you who own and shoot a .500 NE, what distance do you recommend it be zeroed at?

John,
When I had new barrels made for my .500 x3" a few years ago I had them regulated for 50 yards. For what the .500 is desinged for, that's enough. However, I will admit to shooting at a 100 yd. to see what it was doing ast that range.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Mr. Jines' comment and your rifle should be regulated at 50 or 75 yards. On a six o'clock hold, I like to print above the aiming point so that I can see the bullet strike the target. If you are intending to hunt buffalo, hippo or elephant offensively, most shots will be well under 50 yards for elephant and hippo and about 50 yards or so for buffalo.

If you want to hunt more defensively, then just leave your .500 NE at home and shoot a scoped rifle off of sticks --- just kidding.

I've killed topi at 170 yards with iron sights on my .500 NE double, zebra over 150 on several occasions, and impala at that distance as well. The .500 NE will do whatever you need and well. Find a load that groups, sight it in at your chosen distance, and then learn where it shoots at greater distances. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs. The sights are marked 60 and 120 but I'm wondering if thats meters or yards. Not that it matters, but I thought it might be a clue as to what the maker's intents were. I'd figured that 2" high at 50 would be a good starting place.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote