Find
Notify
Tools

Sold both my doubles!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
Let the fun begin!! jumping I always loved my 9.3, however, each time I opened the safe I would grab the 500. The 500 was nice but I just never bonded with it and often found myself looking at other fine doubles on the various sites thoughout the web. Im really not sure what I want but the following is what Im sure of:

1. Most important is accuracy!!

2. A big bore from 470-577, maybe even a 600.

3. Im torn between a classic and a new, built for me, double.

4. Love the color case finish, but would be fine with really nice scroll

5. nice wood!

6. a fancy case with the chrome accessories would impress my friends!

If you were in my shoes, what would be your first pick?

Oh, and the cost....for now Ill just say I dont want to get too carried away!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
CCMDOC's old 600 VC is or was available.

Biebs will be having a 577 VC available soon.. Just after he pulls a trigger once.. Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mississippian,

Great to be in that position!

While some might suggest a vintage double, my own preference is a modern version and I've been thrilled with my Verney-Carron doubles in terms of accuracy, fit, finish and customer service. As far as accuracy and ease of regulation with handloads, I've posted my targets with 6 or more shots for both of my 600NE, my 450/400 and my 375 Flanged. Each exceeded expectations.

Good luck with your search - so many good choices out there. If your over this way you are welcome to shoot what's on my safe and I'll happily take a ride with you to Biebs' to shoot his 577 for him and over to Ken Buch who usually has a handful of doubles to shoulder.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I think you should get a gun built to your specs,either a 450NE or a 470NE,you go beyond that and you will be selling it after the first shot as well Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
CCMDOC's old 600 VC is or was available.

Biebs will be having a 577 VC available soon.. Just after he pulls a trigger once.. Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
577NE and 600NE - pussycats to shoot in a properly fitted double rifle and will remain my elephant and other dangerous game medicine of choice. tu2

Any sale of a 600 by me would only be in anticipation of getting another. beer

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian

So basically NOW, you are just Bolt Rifle Trash.

And because of your exploits with a certain 600OK here in Texas, the Arbor Society is still after you. BOOM

I expect to see your picture in the Post office tomorrow... Big Grin

SO now you need a new double... tu2

Here is one recommendation. Take a look at a new Heym Safari Grade with the color case reciever. Their Color Case is stunning, and the engraving is tasteful, and hand done.

Now as to calibre. IF you were a little older I would definately recommend a scoped/red dot 450/400 3".

But as you are still a young guy you might want to take a hard look at a 450 3 1/4".

Plenty enough gun for cape buff and elephant, baised on my experience with my 450 No2, and you have the avialibility of the numerous other .458 bullets for wild pigs and... trees. Big Grin

Also, it is hard to go wrong with a 470.

And you are a pretty big ol boy, so I know you can handle a Heym 500...

I would still have the Heym 450, 470, or 500, set up for a Doctor Optic Red Dot, for the day IF your eyes make it necessary.

Also the 470 and 500's do work with my 75% rule as well, and you can load Nitro For Black loads for deer and pigs even in the 500, no problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Doc,
very well said tu2
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
577NE and 600NE - pussycats to shoot in a properly fitted double rifle and will remain my elephant and other dangerous game medicine of choice. tu2

Any sale of a 600 by me would only be in anticipation of getting another. beer

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think you should find or have built a double rifle is 475 #2 Jeffery. .488 caliber and a awesome round.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I think our tree busting buddy is already in love with a 475#2,no thanks to you around the campfire Smiler,what about reloading for this round,supplies difficult to get?

N E 450#2,
how do you like your 450#2? would you buy another?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .475 No. 2. I just fired my John Wilkes .475 No. 2 (Eley .483) for the first time yesterday. Extremely accurate and no more recoil than my 450-400 3 1/4. Was fortunate to put 4 rounds in 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards standing leaning over a stool on top of a bench with blankets on it. Makes do for a standing rest. Off-hand at 25 yards they were 1 1/8 center to center right/left under 3 seconds. Makes do for a standing rest. Did I mention lack of recoil?

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73:
I don't know about the 475 No. 2 Jeffrey but I bought dies from both an AR member and CH. Brass is expensive and Woodleighs, so far, are about the only projectiles I know of for the .483 diameter. CEB is making them for the .488 diameter Jeffrey, I understand. Going to try to see if anyone is interested in going in on a custom run of .483's.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Going to try to see if anyone is interested in going in on a custom run of .483's.
Dutch

Here's your chance to get a co-conspirator - Mississippian seems ripe for brain-washing ... tu2

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dies can be had from RCBS. Woodleigh makes both RN and solid 500 grain .488 bullets.

Brass, well that seems to be hard to find. I guess those couple of bags of B.e.L.L. that I have are getting pricey???? Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go see Champlin Arms in Enid Oklahoma. They have a massive collection of doubles you can drool all over.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian,

I think we met at Karl's booth in Dallas

You need to order a Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block Double.
Mine is 450 NE Biebs has a couple coming.
Look at them they are way cool.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think if I were in that same fix, (a nice one to be in) I’d go with only one chambering and that would be a 500NE, and I would decide between only three brands. Since you want the rifle made to fit, I would look hard at a B.Searcy, a Heym Safari, or a VC! I would go for color case no matter which I chose, and at least one step up-grade on the wood.
I handled both the new Heym and the B.Searcy rifles at the DSC show and though I really like the VC, I think for me it would be a toss-up between the Searcy and the Heym with an edge going to the Heym’s new English style case colored chambered for 500NE. However, it would really be the difference in price between all three that would likely win out, but the chambering would not change either way!

This is a fun problem to have, I envy you!
......................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you're in sore need of a Paradox gun.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Kelly a compromise a 450#2 a ton of bullets to play with. Bal will agree. Big Grin

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Since He only kills pigs with his doubles he does not need a Dangerous Game rifle…….he can therefore buy a Blaser and put the night vision scope on it.

popcorn

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Miss.

You Poor double less refugee !!!

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He could always duct tape a couple lever actions together for temporary.
Just trying to help homer

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a thought, how about those new adjustable stocked, "blackgun lookalikes" from who is it Marlin or Mossberg?
That's just wrong. Hell, there ought to be enough guys with spares to help a guy out doncha think?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
OK OK guys let's give the guy a break even if he is bolt trash now Big Grin

Kelly,
the solution is staring you in the face my man,the new Heym,the hunter,it would be perfect for toting around them mississippi swamps,a nice accurate,affordable gun tu2
heck at that price point you could even carve your initials in the stock bubba flame

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bal

To answer your question, I really like the 450 No2 Nitro Express cartridge.

I found it to be very easy to load for. In my rifle I have loads with 350 Hornady RN, 450 North Fork Solids and Cup Points, 480 Woodleigh Soft and Solids, old style 500gr Hornady Softs and Solids, and Swift 500gr A Frame, with IMR 3031, IMR 4831 and RL 15 taht all hit the same place at 100 yards and regulate perfectly.

I have taken a lot of game with the cartridge including several cape buff and elephants, and I find it has all the power and penetration necessary.

Once I wanted a 577 or a 600, but after my first Safari where I killed 2 cape buff and 3 elephants I realized the 450 was perfect, ikn every way.

There are only 2 disadvantages with the 450 No2.

First cases are kinda expensive. In the beginning Bertram was the only source. They are excellent cases I have some fired at least 20 times and I have never had any case problems.

Second you MUST use a filler with ANY powder in the 450 No2, same for the 475 No2 as these cases are 3 1/2" long and very big around they have a lot of volume.

So as much as I like the 450 No2, if I was buying a new made double today I would pick a 450 3 1/4" Nitro instead as Hornady is now loading for it.
If I found an original British double in 450 No2 I would not hesitate to recommend it.

However an my current age, when I buy another rifle it will most likely be a 450/400 3".

It will be fitted with a scope with an illuminated reticle and a Doctor Optic Red Dot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Tony,
thanks for your informative post,like you said unless a good english comes my way,it looks like I am going to be in for a new Heym 450 3 1/4,just like being able to play with all those .458 bullets out there.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Let the fun begin!! jumping I always loved my 9.3, however, each time I opened the safe I would grab the 500. The 500 was nice but I just never bonded with it and often found myself looking at other fine doubles on the various sites thoughout the web. Im really not sure what I want but the following is what Im sure of:

1. Most important is accuracy!!

2. A big bore from 470-577, maybe even a 600.

3. Im torn between a classic and a new, built for me, double.

4. Love the color case finish, but would be fine with really nice scroll

5. nice wood!

6. a fancy case with the chrome accessories would impress my friends!

If you were in my shoes, what would be your first pick?

Oh, and the cost....for now Ill just say I dont want to get too carried away!

How about a Searcy .577? Great gun at a great price made to fit YOU.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen beer and Roscoe moon, Sorry I havent been more active in this discussion but I have been busy at work! Thank you for your suggestions and advice, its interesting to read everyones opinion! As cool as the 475 no 2 and 450 no 2 are I would hesitate to get one unless it was in a vintage rifle. Since I wish to reduce my firearm collection and have just one working double I will have to say Im leaning toward a new custom fit rifle. The 450 NE makes more sense if I go with a .45 caliber. If I had to narrow it down to 2 I would say the 450 and 500 NE. Work should slow some by mid March so I hope to be able to travel some and go shopping, maybe show up on CCMDoc's doorstep and test drive the 600! And Doc, Thank you for the offer!! Thats why I love this website, Most everyone's always eager to help!!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ole' Miss, And I'm just a hop, skip, and jump from CCMDoc. We could visit the great Griffin & Howe store while you're up here, and all shoot at the range on my property. Land at Newark Airport and we'll take it from there. :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to try to say something witty or at least add to the discussion, but then I read Mac's comment and I've got nothing to add.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen beer and Roscoe moon, Sorry I havent been more active in this discussion but I have been busy at work! Thank you for your suggestions and advice, its interesting to read everyones opinion! As cool as the 475 no 2 and 450 no 2 are I would hesitate to get one unless it was in a vintage rifle. Since I wish to reduce my firearm collection and have just one working double I will have to say Im leaning toward a new custom fit rifle. The 450 NE makes more sense if I go with a .45 caliber. If I had to narrow it down to 2 I would say the 450 and 500 NE. Work should slow some by mid March so I hope to be able to travel some and go shopping, maybe show up on CCMDoc's doorstep and test drive the 600! And Doc, Thank you for the offer!! Thats why I love this website, Most everyone's always eager to help!!

Having a 500NE, shooting it on a regular basis, and having used it on 5 Safaris now, I was torn about what caliber to order for my new big bore double. I considered a smaller rig such as the 450/400 as well as the 450 for its perceived cool factor. But each time I thought I had made a decision, I second guessed myself. The satisfaction provided by the 500NE left me wondering under what set of conditions would I be willing to leave it behind? The answer was, NEVER! So I ordered a new VC in 500NE to complement my Merkel 500NE. Will I sell the Merkel? Maybe for the right price. We'll see.

My 2 cents would be to opt for the 500NE. There's really no reason not to IMO. Basically you get a rifle that, compared to the 450 to 470 class weapons, is the same size and weight, of very similar recoil level, but with a significant step up in performance. On the other end of the scale, stepping above the 500NE gets you a significantly heavier rifle with significantly more recoil. The 577 and 600 also give you more performance but arguably at the point of diminishing returns. The 500NE represents the proverbial free lunch if is there ever was one!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about one of these ?

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Todd, i agree with you on the 500! It is a tough caliber to beat!

Love the Hollands as well but sightly out of reach financially! I have a small airforce to maintain and two growing boys!!

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=274540979

Compliments of Mike Brooks. I have always been fond of the jones UL/hammer guns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle! (unlike Mike Brooks!!! :-) )

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
He just provided the link, not the rifle! Haha

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That double H rifle is just to pretty to shoot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Surestrike, it is currently in London for a service follwing an arduous trip with its´sister to the Selous last September , best

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:

Compliments of Mike Brooks. I have always been fond of the jones UL/hammer guns!

OMG, don't you know that you can't hunt dangerous game with a hammer gun. You have to re-cock them every time you reload just like a Blaser Wink It's certain death.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:

Compliments of Mike Brooks. I have always been fond of the jones UL/hammer gunos!

OMG, don't you know that you can't hunt dangerous game with a hammer gun. You have to re-cock them every time you reload just like a Blaser Wink It's certain death.

Excellent Dave
rotflmo
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He kind of sounds like an attitude problem to me :-)