Notify
Tools

New Geyger 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
Folks,
Considering this rifle and would appreciate your input.
Geyger 9.3x74R
mfg'd 6/1925
non-ejector
double set triggers
metric equivalent to 24.25" bbls
excellent bores, excellent unrestored condition
original bases/claw mounts and included Kollmorgen 2.75x scope
Regulated for 286gr steel jacketed bullets
8.75 lbs unscoped/scope weight adds 12oz
Per owner:6 shot groups average 3" at 100 yards (IMR 4064 57.3gr, 286gr @ avg 2300fps)
Would be curious to hear opinions including fair market value.
Thanks,
Bill

[URL= ]Geyger 1[/URL]

[URL= ]Geyger 2[/URL]

[URL= ]Geyger 3[/URL]

[URL= ]Geyger 4[/URL]

[URL= ]Geyger 5[/URL]

[URL= ]Geyger 6[/URL]

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Nice!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree, nice looking rifle.

Only question is the bores. Bores are really the only thing that counts, all the rest can be "fixed"

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Are the scope mounts included with the rifle?

Sounds nice. The one thing "I" do not care for is the horn trigger guard, that the Germans were so in love with. Other than that great looking piece.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to fit a different scope, JJ Perodeau can fit new rings to those claw bases.

Also if the horn trigger guard ever breaks JJ can make you a steel one. he made a steel trigger guard for my wifes drilling.

I have handled some Geyger guns and they looked nice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Bore is perfect and I overstated weight:it is 8.75 lbs with the scope. Subtract 12oz if removed. Yes, has scope with mounts-just didn't take a pic. Agree the horn triggerguard, while original and very German doesn't quite do it for me aesthetically. Thanks for the tip about JJ and the steel trigger guard-will think this one over.
Bill

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
That could be a twin of the 8x60r Geyger that i had also made in that same time period. Only difference being a SLIGHTLY different shape of the trigger guard. I had bases made to fit the rear claw and one to fit into the front dovetail replacing the claw base. These took Leupold Dual Dovetail rings as I had no intention of making a quick release mount. Accuracy was impeccable. To me Geyger double rifles are superbly crafted rifles. If I remember correctly mine was around $6000. It was mint condition with large amounts of case still showing.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Now that is a mighty nice rifle! Even marked with the crown-over-E "Express Rifle" proof mark and twin single-set triggers. With the original scope and mounts, amount of remaining case colors, unbuggered screws and all, if you could find a replacement for under $12K I would be very surprised.

Please don't change the scope mounts, and if you dink with that nice horn trigger guard I might have to hurt you... shame Big Grin

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Smiler
Will be a great rifle for elk, deer, bear, boar and so.

Did you go for it?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
So I took the plunge and bought it tonight. My first DR and can't wait to get to the range! Many thanks to everyone for your input.
Got some great history on the rifle-owned at one point by one of the Lever family (as in soap) and then by the head of neurosurgery at the university hospital where I'm doing my fellowship training. Been to Africa and accounted for Eland, buff and other plains game as well as to France, Hungary and Czech Republic on boar. The neurosurgeon left fantastically detailed notes including all of his regulation data (including such things as ambient temperature, time between shots, Stnd dev/error of groups, etc). Will get some more pics posted as I have time over the next week.

I especially want to thank Chris (new_guy)over on the Nitroexpress forum. Was considering a large bore Heym (and still hope to get one down the road)--he was most helpful in my email exchanges and seems like he is a fine person to deal with. Even though I didn't get one of his guns this time, I'd not hesitate to give him my business.
Cheers,
Bill