New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks , Eric
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Met today with fellow AR guy Eric Johannen, who very kindly let me test drive his Chapuis 470NE. After my too-light Merkel 500NE saga, the Chapuis was a pleasure to shoot. Nice to meet kindred spirits like Eric. Thanks again,Eric, for your kindness and hospitality. Cool

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good guys here to help those of us who need it!!! salute

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Head Trauma:
Met today with fellow AR guy Eric Johannen, who very kindly let me test drive his Chapuis 470NE. After my too-light Merkel 500NE saga, the Chapuis was a pleasure to shoot. Nice to meet kindred spirits like Eric. Thanks again,Eric, for your kindness and hospitality. Cool

what saga?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head trauma,
How much did the 470 Chapuis weigh? How much did your Merkel 500 weigh in at?

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much the Chapuis weighs.

The Merkel weighed 10-1/8 lbs, kicked like a rented mule. It could have been a combination of poor stock fit, lack of experience (first double rifle for me) or other factors. It probably doesn't help that I am a 5'7" underfed 165 lb runt. 12 shots at a range session and I was done for the day. The factory butt plate had been replaced with a Pachmayr pad. Very sore face the next day.

The Merkel was the last 500NE out of the first batch that was shipped to the USA with ejectors mid '07. I bought it late fall in anticipation of a tuskless hunt with Buzz in May '08. Worked up some regulation loads (single loading it) until the onset of winter forced me to stop shooting. Was unable to shoot due to the wretched cold winter until early April 08'.

Since my hunt was geting close, I though I should do some speed drills. The first time I loaded 2 rounds and pulled the trigger,it doubled. Front trigger,rear trigger, didn't matter, doubled every time. I was not pleased. Called Danny Spahn at GSI/Merkel USA. Danny was very helpful, sent it back on GSI's dime to get it fixed. Danny expedited the repair,since time was running down for my departure on my hunt.

Got it back about 2 weeks later. Same story. Still doubled,front trigger,rear trigger. Every time. Back to Merkel. Now I am snakebit because I have no confidence in the rifle at all. Even if I could have gotten it back in time, I would not have taken it to Zim. I mean,really, who would expect a new rifle to double right out of the box? I was fortunate that I had my 458 Lott as a back-up. Ended up in a pretty hairy self defense shooting on a cow ele with Alan Shearing, it turned out OK but really wished I could have had a double with me.

When I got the rifle back, the doubling issue had been resolved.

Perhaps if it had been a 470 it very probably would not have been so harsh to shoot. Weather or not it would have doubled right out of the box is another issue. A Chapuis 500NE may fit me better and not be so abusive to shoot.

Sold it to a fellow AR member.

Compared to the Merkel the Chapuis was a pussycat to shoot;I know,I know, apples vs oranges, but still...

I know many folks have Merkels and have had good luck with them. Me, not so much Frowner

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
12 shots at a range session and I was done for the day

Good grief. One time doubling would have been more than enough for me. 4 or 5 from the 470 and I get a headache. I'm getting a headache now just thinking about a 500 doubling.

quote:
sent it back on GSI's dime to get it fixed

I should hope so.

quote:
Very sore face the next day.

That's the problem with trying to make a heavy recoiling rifle look like a shotgun. The large drop at the butt causes the thing to recoil right up into your cheek/head. Ouch.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I had a Merkel .500 Nitro 5 years ago.

Got it home, threw 2 rounds in and all hell broke loose. Yes it doubled. I repeated the process with a live round in the right barrel and primed case in the left barrel. It doubled again.

I called Herbert at GSI who said I must have raked the rear trigger. After convincing him that it wasn't my first rodeo, I shipped the gun to him. He conferred with the engineers in Germany, repaired it and shipped the gun back 2 days later.

A month later, I killed 2 ellies with the gun. I did not have any further problems. I sold the gun to a buddy who has shot many more rounds with no problems.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis weighs ten and a half pounds with a fourteen and five eights length of pull. Haven't measured the drop at the comb and heel as it seems to fit me nicely. The rifle has a very solid feel to it with a bit of muzzle heaviness that I like when offhand shooting. Enjoy shooting the little brute but it does take practice to steady the sights and squeeze the trigger straight back without disturbing the sight picture. When I get it right it shoots center just above the front sight at 30 yards offhand. If I pull it off it tends to print slightly left at 7 to 8 o'clock. Regulates with Woodleigh and Hornady bullets. I want to try some Northfork Cup point and flat nose solids for a possible elephant and buffalo hunt. Reloader 15 and Kynoch foam wad for me! My replacement ejector spring and two spares along with a spare front sight are on order and I'll install the spring when they arrive. Have the two screw Dakota sling swivel base narrowed to fit the european detachable swivels from New England Custom Firearms and my gunmaker will inlet and rust blue shortly. I like this rifle!

Posts: 65 | Location: West Bend, WI. | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Plenty of good guys here to help those of us who need it!!! salute

Agree 100% beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am no expert on DRs & I don't even own one yet.

But I did get a chance to fire 5 or 6 rifles - from 9,3 to 600 NE. The only one which hurt me was an ill fitting 470 and my cheek was sore for a week. The 600NE was great to shoot even with full house loads. It pushed me back but it did not hurt.

If your cheek hurts, i would say the rifle does not fit you. JMHO

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
If your cheek hurts, i would say the rifle does not fit you. JMHO

What you stated is a truth. What Will stated above about the drop in the comb is true, too much equals cheek bite.

I had a Searcy in 470 some years ago which weighed 10.5 lbs (nice weight except for Will) with 14 5/8 LOP and proper drop in comb, it punished my cheek and middle finger on shooting hand. I presently have a Heym 500 N.E. weighs 10.4 lbs with 15 1/8 LOP and I can shoot 10-12 times no cheek bite, no middle finger bite. The Searcy with the lighter recoiling 470 and slightly heavier weight was not the issue, it just did not fit me. The heavier recoiling 500 and slightly lighter Heym with a 1/2 inch longer LOP fixed the problem.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote