THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Adding A Set Of Larger Caliber Barrels To A "Heavy" 450/400
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding A Set Of Larger Caliber Barrels To A "Heavy" 450/400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's your take on this idea 400 Nitro Express, and any one else with an opinion?

Buy a 450/400 NE from Champlins that weighs at least 10.5 pounds then...

have some one skilled enough make another set of barrels in 470 NE?

Could J.J. at www.champlinarms.com be the right man?

Could this be done so that when the rifle is wearing the big bore barrels it balances correctly?

What should the cost be to have this done?

Will it mean having another forend built as well?

What would that cost?

Any other comments/ideas/thoughts...???

Thanks in advance.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack: One time I asked an English gunmaker about a double with two barrels. I inquired about a 450/400 and 500NE combo. He asked me if I preferred a 450/400 that was too heavy or a 500 that was too light. I guess that was his way of telling me he didn't like my plan.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS: Starting TODAY, with a rifle being built from scratch in 500 NE and 2nd barrel set in 450/400 NE,

I'd say the same thing as your UK builder said, since the weight spead is a pound or more if one were buying two

separate rifles. But based on my question about correct weights for DR's in various calibers from a few days ago

this forum, I gather that the difference between ideal weights of 450/400 NE and 470 NE is about .625 of a pound,
a "whopping" 10 ounces. wave

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
BFJ, from what I have seen and read, most 450/400's are on the heavy side anyway. A 10.5-11.0 lb. is fairly normal though not considered optimal. I, like you, think those two chamberings would be a great combo and I could live with the minor "imperfections" in weight and balance. My .02, Lee. My Rodda 450/400 is light at just over 9 lbs, but it is a pussycat to shoot!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

John Maples has a .450/.400 3" A. Hollis & Son boxlock on Gunsamerica with an extra set of .470 barrels that he added. My Hollis .400 weights 10 lbs, 2 ozs. I don't know what his weighs with the .470 barrels. I handled his rifle before he added the extra barrels.

Personally, I don't see the utility of those two calibers in a two barrel set but, yeah, many .400s were built too heavy, and will take .470 and .500 barrels with no weight issue.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input 400 NE, Maybe I should consider the 500 NE caliber.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BFJ,
I don't know about JJ but i am willing to bet that Ken Owens could build you some barrels. Whether or not he will i do not know. He just built a 4 bore sidelock for someone i know. Built the gun from scratch as he does all his rifles.

And yes it is all 'do-able'. Many English makers were building and buying actions of one size or two. And unless they built it just for a 450/400 where the action was for that rifle,, they used a larger action. Weight of the stock may have differed and of course the barrels. So yes, do it if you have the means. Barrel length and profile may be predetermined however...for proper balance of both rifles.

It might end up costing more than it is worth. But who cares, that has nothing to do with why we do these things.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few sets of double rifle bbls made by JJ. They looked as good as original British made bbls.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the cost of getting a second set of barrels made, you could just buy a Searcy double in the caliber of your choice.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains,
Well said!
Buy the gun from Champlins and then go order up ANOTHER gun from Searcy.
Two guns for the price of one!

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote