Find
Notify
Tools

Versa Carry Sale !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
Their summer sale is on and I just ordered a cotton and leather rifle sling for less than $30; this is about 1/3 of the cost of similar slings from other vendors and includes the metal clips for the sling studs on the rifle.

https://www.versacarry.com/rif...ar/cotton-web-sling/

I like these slings partly because they are more compact than most leather slings and fit well into my double rifle cases.
I buy one for each such rifle and for other rifles as appropriate. Here is a picture of the sling on my Simson Suhl .405 DR.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I once found a webbing Beretta sling which also looks the part, like some old-timey British one.

Trouble is a PH made me take it off as he saw it as a handicap. Wish I'd taken it to the Northern Territory with me in June, though, as the days were hot, the walks long, and the buffs less-likely to ambush you if not wounded.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just bought one.

It should arrive before the sale ends and might buy more.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quick update -
My sling was ordered this past Saturday and arrived today!
Looks great - just like my first one.

Even my wife approves of the look and quality!!!!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered one should look good slinging my doubles Big Grin

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just order one as well. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trouble is a PH made me take it off

Sambarman,
What and where were you hunting that the PH felt that way?

Smiler I once had a RSA PH offer me shooting sticks when we were waiting for a beater-driven bushbuck to break cover: I politely refused. For a quail hunter, a bushbuck is slow and easy to pick up and shoot.
Anyhow, it failed to show and I shot mine later when he made the mistake of looking back over his shoulder to see if we were following him.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It arrived and I now need to remove the swivel set up on the Pre-64 .300 H&H I had plans for this sling. Luckily, I bought some studs on sale from Midway.

It won’t go on my double because that’s a safety issue. Damn!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
DCS
I had the same issue with the metal sling loops rather than studs on an old double rifle.

I turns out that the sling swivel connecters will slip over the metal loop and lock closed through it. Quick, cheap, and dirty, but plain and simple and just as strong as studs; not pretty, but functional.
This buys me time to test out an more attractive solution.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:
Trouble is a PH made me take it off

Sambarman,
What and where were you hunting that the PH felt that way?

Smiler I once had a RSA PH offer me shooting sticks when we were waiting for a beater-driven bushbuck to break cover: I politely refused. For a quail hunter, a bushbuck is slow and easy to pick up and shoot.
Anyhow, it failed to show and I shot mine later when he made the mistake of looking back over his shoulder to see if we were following him.

We were tracking cape buffalo. I don't recall slinging the rifle too much but the PH saw some problem. Maybe he just thought db rifles should be clean as a hound's tooth, as Elmer Keith would say.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote