New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 9.3 / 74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in London last week and visited the Beretta showrooms. I was rather taken by their 9.3 / 74 silver pidgeon O/U.( mod. 689) I liked its pointability, balance and finnish. It costs around 4000 pounds, approx USD 8300.I am seriously thinking of buying one, any comments please,
thanks in advance,
Mal.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been tempted myself. Look at the second hand market, they are a lot less expensive, at least here in the US, perhaps because buying second hand avoids the current weak US dollar.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one for several years and really liked it. Light, trim but deadly. Took some work but got it to group 1.5 at 100 yds. Always wanted to get a set of 20 ga barrels but never did. Often sorry that I sold it.
thanks
Larry

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use here in France a Beretta 689 Silver 689 (9,3x74R-barel 56cm) scoped with Swaro PVI II 1,25-4x24 for boar and deer hunting and it works very well!
With Norma Oryx 286grs or Sako Hammerhead 286grs I get about 1 to 1,5 at 100 meters.
REY375

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one which I've used very little but do enjoy shooting. The price you quote seems a bit high. I paid $4000 for mine about three years ago in the States. It wasn't new but in unused condition.
Regards,
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price is always going to be a major factor Inyati, but your purchase was 3 years ago when the US$ was considerably stronger than today and although your rifle was mint it would still be considered for all intents and purposes second hand. Add to that inevitable price increases over 3 years and maybe its not too far off the money. I would like to buy my house now at 2004 prices.
However you make a valid point and thanks for the input, I wonder if Beretta are into a bit of horse trading/ bargaining?
Cheers,
Mal.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have one in a set of 2 (other is an 06 and 20 ga bbls to fit both actions) very fine accuracy out of both rifles. and yes the $$ is very high. 5000 is probably closer to reality. (at least on a used market)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an insane amount of money to pay given what you are getting. I'd take a Siace SxS in 9.3 and put $2-2.5K in my pocket.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into chapuis, merkel, and kreighoff 9.3's. They should be more reasonably priced, and finding a good used one that still has its regulation papers etc. shouldn't be too hard. I know Cabelas usually keeps a good stock of them. I have a chapuis 9.3 sxs that I absolutely love and use as often as possible. I'll be taking it on my up and coming deer/pig hunt in December.

I have a silver pigeon in a 2o gauge, and I really lke its handling and aesthetics, but I agree with some of the opinions above that you'll be able to do just as well without paying quite so much. Purchasing one within the U.S. will certainly be beneficial due to the terrible exchange rates.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used one on GB for for $5-5.5K. You can buy new guns for that.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote