THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Where to get some good Texas Vittles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get some good Texas Vittles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
Bal,our boys and I are flying into Houston this morning to hunt hogs with Tactical Hog Control (we would have invite some of you along but Jeb wanted to keep the group at 4). Sunday, if we have enough time before our flight we would like to grab some good Texas grub so I would like your recommendations please! Thank you!!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sylvia's has good Mexican food. One way out west on Westheimer and one closer in on Woodway, not too far outside Loop 610. For BBQ, try Pizzatola's on Shepherd. Seafood -- Goode Company Seafood on Westpark in West University Place. They also have one out I10 towards Katy, but I haven't eaten at that one. Good luck with your hunt.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang it, wish I'd have known you were coming.

Goode Company BBQ on Kirby just south of US59 headed into town.
TEX-MEX, any Pappasitos in town. Burgers, at Beck's Prime off Westheimer.

I would been glad to be your dining guide. I'm leaving a 2 PM for Odessa.
Hope you have a good hog hunt!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen! Was running a little behind schedule so we decided to eat close to the airport. We stopped at Kirby's but it was closed for a private party then went down the road to Saltgrass. We will try the other places next time. Had a great time, hunting was slow due to cold weather but the boys did get some action.

To bring this discussion back in line with the forum, I got my Merkel 500NE from Russ Green Thursday afternoon before we left for Texas. I couldnt wait so pulled over and fired a couple of rounds on the way home to pack. She has a pretty good kick but I think I will manage and learn to shoot it well. I plan to shoot it more this week so I can get her ready for Brady!! Also got A Merkel 140 9.3 from Sam Rose on NitroExpress.com. Now this is a fine little rifle, one I think I will certain grow old with!!

Thank You!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Where's the Pork? Smiler

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Vitals or victuals?

A question on vitals would inevitably lead me into humor, as in: "If you gave a Texan an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox." Big Grin

But as to victuals, well there's a simple answer, mon ami. The best vittles in Texas are generally found wherever Mexicans are doing the cooking. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most of the cooking in America is done by Mexicans, to quote Anthony Bourdin!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good word, used to be commonly used in Texas but we're getting too citified now.....

vit·tles [ vítt'lz ]

plural noun

Definition: food: food or other provisions (dated or regional ) [Variant of victuals]

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote