THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel or Krieghoff - comparison & opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel or Krieghoff - comparison & opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
I am looking to buy my first double - headed back on another ele hunt in Caprivi next year and want to use a classic double. Prefer 450NE but open to 470 NE or possible 500NE.

I have looked at the Krieghoffs and Merkels. I saw a video on the Krieghoff cocking system and like the extra safety (since I'm not a PH) but have not found much info on the Merkel.

The Merkels seem to run a bit less than the K-guns when comparing both basic offerings..

I want to stay under 10k if possible..

Opinions?

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a Krieghoff in 9.3x74 on stag hunt and was pleasantly surprised with it.
Feels great, looks nice, nice triggers with single set for fine shooting, and accurate.

No experience with the Merkel unfortunately.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Not to hijack your thread, but why the 450 NE over the 470? I'd like to read your thoughts on caliber choice.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I had a .470 Krieghoff and it was a proper gun. Well balanced and very accurate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Find a way to shoot them both and pick the one that works for you - one will definitely be better for you.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
Scott,

Not to hijack your thread, but why the 450 NE over the 470? I'd like to read your thoughts on caliber choice.

You know.. I'm not really set on caliber yet.. I was looking at the 450 NE due to ease of finding bullets for practice & maybe hog hunting when not using it in Africa..

I've never shot a 500NE, have shot the 470 and 450 - no problem with them. Curious as to how the 500 would compare from a recoil perspective. I'm not recoil sensitive but would be good to understand..

If I find a 470 in a K-gun for a good price the question may be irrelevant.. :-)

I intend to hunt more than just ele and buff with it and with my eyes a scope or red dot is almost mandatory anymore...

I have a friend that is a Krieghoff dealer - he is checking price and availability..

If I was a PH, I would be more inclined to look at the Heym and not the cockig system of the K-gun but as a client, I really like the extra safety..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a steal on a merkel 470 in classified ads for $7000. Will not find a better price!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skip Nantz:
There is a steal on a merkel 470 in classified ads for $7000. Will not find a better price!

I saw that... I'm trying to find information on the Merkel guns.. How they cock, safeties, triggers,ejectors.. all the stuff Krieghoff has in their product videos.. LOL!

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Just found videos on the Merkel!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Best to do some detailed research on this one.

I am no expert but like you I was looking for my first double (still am!) and did a lot of research.

My findings lead me to pass the Merkel as an option simply because of the number of cases of the rifles doubling if the left barrel is shot first! I do not think they have intercepting sears.

The VC seems to have a better reputation IMHO.

If I had the spare money I would either go for a Heym or a used English classic.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would either go for a Heym or a used English classic.

There goes his $10K cap! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, pretty hard to find a NE double made in Merry Olde England for less than $20,000.

By the way, recoil on a .500 NE is very similar to .470 NE or .450 NE. It is really more about how the rifle fits you.

I have owned both Merkel and Krieghoff, before I got stupid and bought a W.J. Jeffery. I think if I were to buy one I'd go with one of the new Krieghoffs with ejectors.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't get a Heym for $10K, even used. They keep their prices artificially high, even with the fall in the Euro. And you certainly can't get anything English but a hammer BPE double.
I have two Kriefhoffs; nothing wrong with them; realize they are more machine made than others. Merkels are good, never owned one though. I don't think K makes a .450.
You should also consider a Searcy; regulated great and come in .450, and are quite cost effective, and are very nice quality; disclaimer; I have a .450 Searcy.
Ejectors; NO. I think they are useless and I have seen guys at the range who also practice catching the brass. Guess what; you will do that in the field too; a bad habit. Just learn to load them under duress.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I'm gonna go with a Krieghoff..

Would love to order up a new one but don't think I can stay in my budget if I do..

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, new ones are far more than $10K, but there are used ones out there. I like mine, a 9.3 and a 450-400; bear in mind that Krieghoff only has one frame size and everything sits on that, and it seems like one barrel size for DG calibers too; so my 450-400 is quite heavy, and a .500 on the same frame and barrel size, is quite light. But it doesn't kick too much. (in 450-500). Searcys' barrels are made like English rifles with most of the weight at the breech, so they balance very differently than the Ks.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
For a 450 , 470, 500 -
In the used $10k and under market -
I would look for 1st Chapuis , 2nd Merkel , 3rd Searcy, 4th Krieghoff,

Having owned - K 500 & 500/416 , Merkel 500, Chapuis 470 & 9.3 , Searcy 470 and several other Double Rifles -
for my money , that would be my order of search -

The K guns while accurate - are impossible to cock from the shoulder without releasing grip and relenquishing control of the wrist and point of aim

If I could afford a little more - I would look for a Heym or a British rifle or Continental rifle

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You can't get a Heym for $10K, even used. They keep their prices artificially high, even with the fall in the Euro. And you certainly can't get anything English but a hammer BPE double.
I have two Kriefhoffs; nothing wrong with them; realize they are more machine made than others. Merkels are good, never owned one though. I don't think K makes a .450.
You should also consider a Searcy; regulated great and come in .450, and are quite cost effective, and are very nice quality; disclaimer; I have a .450 Searcy.
Ejectors; NO. I think they are useless and I have seen guys at the range who also practice catching the brass. Guess what; you will do that in the field too; a bad habit. Just learn to load them under duress.

Agree - properly chamber DR's do not require ejectors .

As to artifically elevated prices on used Heyms

I guess other used items such as Rolex 's are also artificially high , as well
-truly it is jst a function of the market

-just like houses in the best part of any city ,
Sought after items hold value

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:
Scott,

You know.. I'm not really set on caliber yet.. I was looking at the 450 NE due to ease of finding bullets for practice & maybe hog hunting when not using it in Africa..

I've never shot a 500NE, have shot the 470 and 450 - no problem with them. Curious as to how the 500 would compare from a recoil perspective. I'm not recoil sensitive but would be good to understand..

If I find a 470 in a K-gun for a good price the question may be irrelevant.. :-)

I intend to hunt more than just ele and buff with it and with my eyes a scope or red dot is almost mandatory anymore...

I have a friend that is a Krieghoff dealer - he is checking price and availability..

If I was a PH, I would be more inclined to look at the Heym and not the cockig system of the K-gun but as a client, I really like the extra safety..

Much like the 280 Remington is referred to as " the thinking man's 30-06"
The 450 could be thought of as the same parallel to the 470
If you are a reloader - the 450 is a great choice- for reasons you noted
You give up nothing to a 470 in penetration and killing effect

The 500 IS a step up in recoil and perhaps , only perhaps , killing effect

My 577, 500's and 470's are sold now - the 450 is now my " big" rifle

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:
Scott,

The recoil on my .500 (VC) is soft compared to the .470 so much so my kids shoot it.

The Krieghoff safety suited me.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The K guns while accurate - are impossible to cock from the shoulder without releasing grip and relenquishing control of the wrist and point of aim

True and one needs to note this and to override this restraint you need to practise cocking before you raise the rifle.

With all doubles you need a lot of practice.

Like I said the Krieghoff served me well and was well made and reliable.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I agree on the K guns,I have one in 500/416 extractor model,I like the gun & have no issues with the safety at all,I have also had a Merkel in the past, bought that gun used, one of my buddies has that gun now & it has performed well all this time ,with an elephant & buff down,I also own at this time two Heym's,you kinda get what you pay for in fit & finish with different brands & relative cost,they are all fine guns that will require a little tweaking perhaps,I would buy any of these brands again.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own a 500NE Krieghoff extractor model.I have hunted 8 cape buffalo and several other animals with mine and had no problem getting used to the cocker.I find them to be very reliable and accurate rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 470 Merkel and a 500/416 Krieghoff. Both were great doubles. The cocking mechanism on the K gun is a non-issue if you can walk and chew gum at the same time....and I actually like it. Prefer it?...hmmm.....dunno....but I had no issues at all. Worst thing I ever did was get rid of that Merkel....I had JJ do a couple of minor tweaks to it and it fit me like a glove and shot perfectly. Live and learn.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My first double was a Merkel in 500NE. I had zero issues with it as it was a great rifle. Took several elephant and buffalo with it.

Recoil tolerance is highly personal but I find the 500NE and 470 / 450 class to be very similar. I do believe there is a bit of an increased effect on game shot with the 500NE but for some reason, I didn't see much difference between the 500NE and the 577NE. For me, the 500NE is the sweet spot in terms of performance for the weight (of both rifle and ammo) and recoil level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, the 500NE is the sweet spot in terms of performance for the weight and recoil level.

Agreed!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
For me, the 500NE is the sweet spot in terms of performance for the weight and recoil level.

Agreed!

...................Plus one on the 500NE! When I bought my 470NE Merkel they didn't have the rifle chambered for the 500NE yet or that is what I would have bought! However I find nothing to complain about with the 470NE Merkel.

On the K-gun The only reason I don't own one is they simply don't fit me well, and I like the combi-cocking sysyem so that is not a problem!
....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are waiting until you shoulder a Krieghoff to cock it, you are doing it wrong.
As for Heym prices, I was referring to the artificially high prices for new ones, in spite of the record low Euro value against the dollar. In 2008 it was $1.60 per Euro; soon it will be one to one. Rifles are built with Euros, so the price to US customers should have dropped drastically; it hasn't. There is no reason for them to be twice the price of a Merkel; better-yes; but twice as good? But as long as customers agree to pay the artificial high prices, there is no incentive for them to be lower. I suspect that is not the factory that is seeing the benefit though.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You may want to add Chapuis to the list of fresh made rifles. They're well made and accurate.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote