THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Colin's Nitro Double Deal of the Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colin's Nitro Double Deal of the Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Lang

if I recall correctly ,
Reg Taylor worked there in the 50's

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you see the clues?

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkin Grant and Lang. Correct. As Clan-Colla says.

The giveaways are that it is an Atkin O/U early...or at least that is what AGL believe it is and not a Lang O/U...in the video and the side by side at the end is a Grant 12/20. The pin positions on the lockplate give it away. So it is a back action lock.

It's a Grant 12/20, typical Baker ejectors, as in the video, typically not timed properly either! Check the video. It is SO bad you don't even have to use slow motion to see it!

Lancaster (who AGL absorbed) built 12/20s as did William Powell. In fact somewhere on the internet and shown below here are the "last" Lancaster 12/20 pair still on stock and unfinished when Grant took them over and finished and sold by Grant.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Did you see the clues?

Saw a youngish Reg Taylor
Met him later in his life-

Really did not study the film closely enough (Iphone screen and old eyes) To pick out the pin pattern
As EnfieldSpares noted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched it quite a few times when I first came across the video on You Tube as, I also, didn't know who it was.

The 1956 date takes out of the running Hellis regardless of the O/U which could have been a repair job, say, and those few others that survived, just WWII. (there's Edwinson Green gone they finished in 1947 and in any case weren't in London). And F P Baker? Well that was the outsider!

The O/U has lumps underneath so that strikes out Boss and, as by that time (this is 1956) they are using Woodward's, design Purdey. And by virtue of it being an O/U of any sort Holland's or Cogswell & Harrison or Churchill who made only his odd Zenith side-opening creature. And not William Evans nor Thomas Bland so they are gone too.

So then who is left who made both O/U guns with under barrel lumps and S/B/S guns? And you then see the side-by-side and see that flick of light on the two close together pins but no pin at the bar and realise it is a back action lock. So that's Wilkes gone too if you'd assumed that the O/U was a repair job. And in any case I'd been inside Wilkes in the 1970s or 1980s and it didn't look like that.

So who's still in the field? Pretty much the only logical answer. Last man standing. A 12/20 S/B/S maker in London who also made O/U guns with under barrel lumps. Which can only be AGL.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
very good deductive process , ES

I ran through the video quickly once,
had it not been for Reg being named and backing up the film at that point, To look at him more closely,

I would have had to review it several time to glean the info you noted

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post