Find
Notify
Tools

Coupla Merkel questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Fellas, I bought JudgeG's little Merkel 141 double rifle in 9,3X74, and have two questions. Does anyone know the proper metric size Allen wrench for regulating barrel adjustment? Also, the butt stock finish needs touch up in a couple of spots. Boiled linseed oil or something else for this?
Many thanks.

Gosh, now that I think of it, does this make me a DRSS member?
dancing

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you still need the secret password :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Is it "swordfish" or am I just confirming my decrepitude?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Fellas, I bought JudgeG's little Merkel 141 double rifle in 9,3X74, and have two questions. Does anyone know the proper metric size Allen wrench for regulating barrel adjustment? Also, the butt stock finish needs touch up in a couple of spots. Boiled linseed oil or something else for this?
Many thanks.

Gosh, now that I think of it, does this make me a DRSS member?
dancing

Bill - I am pretty sure it is a 1mm allen wrench, but Ken Buch at Kebco could tell you for sure.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Call Herbert at the Merkel distribution center; he can confirm the size and can give you some tips on regulating. Make sure you regulate the iron sights first at 50 yards, then focus on the scope. Herbert's number is 205-655-8299, central time.

By the way, the finish on all the newer Merkel is Tru-Oil. You can easily touch it up with that. Stay away from linseed oil. It will make a real mess of things.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mr, Stewart: A tip of the hat sir.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bill, you still need the secret password :-)

You also need to know the secret handshake and sign as well :-)))

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1mm is correct
I suggest you do not go cranking away, if you do go slowly and keep very good notes of what you did so you can back it back up if necessary. More than one person thought they could improve the factory regulation only to have a gun that would not hit a barn standing inside with the door closed.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken: Duly noted, and thank you.

Don: Do I get a secret decoder ring and a propeller beanie when I'm in?

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I regulated mine and followed Judge G's advice to the letter when I did it. It is very simple to regulate.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I have the same model and re-regulated for a 270 grainbullet. Just go slow and as was stated, document, document, document your changes AND do only one plane at a time, ie. horizontal, then vertical.

Factory instructions are available if you need them. Just drop me a line.

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Bill, welcome to the DRSS, even though you're officially a Pledge until receiving your decoder ring!! lol

Got any pictures of the rifle for us to enjoy?