THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    and the reloading begins - Pics added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

and the reloading begins - Pics added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Today MidwayUSA delivered Hornady dies, shellholder, brass and 286 grain Interlocs the 9.3x74R Chapuis UGEX I will be picking up on Friday. I figure these Interlocs should do perfectly well on the whitails in the Allegheny forrest of Northwestern PA this December. I haven't used Hornady Interlocs on anything for about 30 years but hard to imagine a .366 anything would be insufficient on those critters.

Dies, shellholder, assortment of bullets and Kynoch brass should be arriving any day now for the Verney-Carron 600 NE which too will be in my sweaty hands on Friday (along with a Mossberg SuperBantam 20 gauge combo for my 9 year old daughter).

Who has favorite loads for either or both?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Good luck with the loading and shooting. A buddy shoots a 600 Iwill ask him what he loads.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Doc,

Good luck with the loading and shooting. A buddy shoots a 600 Iwill ask him what he loads.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Paul

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working on loads for my relatively new 9.2x74R Chapuis but haven't yet stumbled upon the magic numbers!

Keep us posted. I'm very new to loading so am in the sponge-like stage!

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
I am working on loads for my relatively new 9.2x74R Chapuis but haven't yet stumbled upon the magic numbers!

Keep us posted. I'm very new to loading so am in the sponge-like stage!

I liken it to making Chicken soup - you start from a familiar recipe and taste it as you go along to decide what to add and how much.

Can't wait to start cooking!!!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I have to mention this - tells a lot about how twisted I have become Eeker

So I was unpacking the box from Midway with the 9.3x74R cases and bullets and my first thought was:

"Sheesh! These things are small. Hope it's enough for deer." bewildered

I then had to look at the side of the box to make sure that they were, in fact 9.3x74 cases and .366 bullets. I'm not exagerating, these are the things that went through my mind, in addition to
"Hmmm, not much bigger than my .224 Weatherby." animal

I have to admit, though, that this was after loading a few dozen 600 Overkills and 585 AHRs as well as 40 .416 Weatherbys - I might have lost perspective a bit ... BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, the women had it right all along...bigger IS better !!!!!!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Doc, the women had it right all along...bigger IS better !!!!!!

Damn, I thought that was a myth ... shocker

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
For the 9,3 X 74R, work up to 68 grains of H4831 SC with a 286 grain Privi bullet or a Woodleigh Soft. I am using CCI 200 LRP primers, not magnum. I was at Raton, N.M. NRA Wittington Center last week and we were hitting a steel silhouette of a bear at a ranged 400 yards with my Chapuis.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

I am smiling here in northwest NJ from ear on your
behalf. You have a great pair of rifles, really! clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BF Jack, Hey, stay out of NW New Jersey. We have standards up here, you know!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Here's the magic recipe for my FN-Browning CCS25 in 9,3x74R.

286 Norma / H 4831 / 68.0 (heavily compressed !).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recipes.
I'm starting out with 69.2grains Reloder 22 in new Hornady brass topped with Hornady 286grain Interlocs.

Here are a few photos of the 9.3 and with it's big brother.

Reloading components and a few loaded rounds:

I thought this made a nice photo:

Primed but NOT loaded rounds of course:

Side by sides over and under (guess which is the 600NE):

Business ends of both:

Will hopefully have the 600NE reloading components by mid next week.

Thanks again for the reloading advice beer Will try each out to see what it likes best BOOM
Paul

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Paul

For the .600, I would STRONGLY suggest RL 15 powder. Less pressure and (equals) less recoil. Try 114-118 grains (with wad). Good luck!

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Paul

For the .600, I would STRONGLY suggest RL 15 powder. Less pressure and (equals) less recoil. Try 114-118 grains (with wad). Good luck!

Don

Thanks Don! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
BF Jack, Hey, stay out of NW New Jersey. We have STANDARDS up here, you know!

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STANDARDS IN NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal

CCMDoc,

Buddy if you EVER, might be able to stand an audience I'd love to watch some of that reloading. tu2 wave tu2

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
CCMDoc,
Buddy if you EVER, might be able to stand an audience I'd love to watch some of that reloading. tu2 wave tu2

No problem, consider yourself invited.

I find reloading very relaxing and enjoyable.

What calibers do you reload for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's till trying to get his sh*t together on that 450/400 3 11/4" Osbourne !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs finding my 450/400 3.25" dies on ebay and hooking me up with them saved
me $175.00 compared to buying new from RCBS. Thanks again Jon! salute A/R's

own retreever came over to my home a few weeks ago and gave me fine coaching

on loading for these NE calibers. Since then I am cruising along through the pro-

cess. I've done some loading for my 500 S&W revolver too. Mike I truly appreciate

your help! tu2
Paul, you say when and I'll do my darnedest to be there. I am grateful. wave(The wife's

thyroid surgery is coming up this Thursday, we need to be at the hospital at 6:30 AM)

Jack