THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    DR lockk types / strengths & weaknesses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DR lockk types / strengths & weaknesses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like information on DR lock types. Strengths & weaknesses of each and photos if possible. Can anyone help ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert on the lock types but some of the well known one's are

Box lock actions

Webley Screw Grip
Webley PHV 1

WR Droplock

Sidelock actions

Early Holland & Holland "Leg of Mutton" actions - known as one of the
strongest actions around.

Holland & Holland Reinforced DR Action (has the nice curved extra metal
coming down from the breechface and along the outside edge of the water table)
- I think it is the strengthened DR version of the AB Action and was used
after about 1915 or somewhere around there. Previous H&H DR's did not have
the extra metal on the locks.

Weak / Soft actions - as far as I am concerned

Cogswell and Harrison Box Locks made in 375 2 1/2" NE

One action I am personally NOT a fan off is the Greener Cross Bolt Box Lock.
Not saying anything wrong with it per se but just seen too many loose guns
with this system.

Well that's a start !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the mechanical factors that tend to make strong actions as far as the bites are concerned or any other factors such as third bites etc........ ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try and find post by 400NitroExpress on here or the NE Forum (especially the NE Forum).

He does a great job of explaining actions and how they work.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The German clam shell action - particularly for the big ones like 500, 577 & 600 NE.

Also Rigby Rising 3rd bite - now being made by Searcy, London Rigby & a German gun maker.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I belive the 3rd and in some cases 4th bites help a little but the fasteners only hold the gun in the closed position. The wear happens typicly on the hinge pin when a gun is off face.

Replacing or reindexing the hinge pin will bring the barrels back on face. The under lugs will do nothing to stop stress on the hinge pin. Kersten/Greener locks probably help a little by holding the barrels back against the reciever but my guess would be a dolls head or Rigby rising bite would be best.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I belive the 3rd and in some cases 4th bites help a little but the fasteners only hold the gun in the closed position. The wear happens typicly on the hinge pin when a gun is off face.

Replacing or reindexing the hinge pin will bring the barrels back on face. The under lugs will do nothing to stop stress on the hinge pin. Kersten/Greener locks probably help a little by holding the barrels back against the reciever but my guess would be a dolls head or Rigby rising bite would be best.

Most Greener cross bolts I've seen don't actually touch the third bite.

Sideclips stop sideways movement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I would like information on DR lock types. Strengths & weaknesses of each and photos if possible. Can anyone help ?

Get Gun Digest 0f `85...Jack Lott has a good artical regarding this particular subject.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Trigger plate locks, McKay Brown's in particular, have quite a bit going for them, not least the improved angle of firing pins, lack of coil springs and ease of maintenance.

I am such a fan that they will probably receive an order from me for a 470NE when I have the opportunity to get back to UK.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two types of sidelocks, the back action sidelock and the bar action sidelock.

The bar action is typical on sidelock shotguns, the back action on rifles, but there are plenty of examples of bar actioned rifles and back actioned shotguns too.

The advantage of the back action for a rifle is that the bar, the portion of in front of the standing breach, and a bit rearward, is not relieved right and left for the main springs, as it is on a bar action rifle. Because there is more metal, the back action is stronger.

The disadvantage of the back action, if it is a disadvantage at all, it that the lock work must be more compact for a back action, and so takes more worksmanship, meaning more money, to make.

You will find photos and some explanation allong the lines of what you are looking for at Hollowell & Co. Fine Firearms' website in the Defintions and Glossary section. Go here, and then click on the Definitions section: http://www.hallowellco.com/

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote