Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

loading 470 NE
 Login/Join

posted
Fellas, what advice can you give on a good 470 load that would be good for elephant. Id like to go as light as possible.....I just had me right shoulder fixed and want to beat it up as little as possible. Right now im shooting 500gr. Hornady DGS solids, 107 gr, IMR 4831, Federal 215 primer 2200 fps.

Is this burnin on the hot side? Would I notice any difference in recoil if I loaded them down a little?

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: San Antonio, Tx. | Registered: 27 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy regulates his with Woodleighs and 106gr on NEW IMR4831. Dead on at 100 yards.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'd try a R-15 load. Felt recoil would be less but you need to use a filler.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you bought the wrong rifle. A 416 would have kicked less and have better penetration.

Less recoil and less powder go hand-in-hand. I wouldn't go below 2000 ft/s, though.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19336 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this burnin on the hot side? Would I notice any difference in recoil if I loaded them down a little?

2200 FPS is plenty fast. If you switch to Reloder 15 you will notice a reduction in recoil. Start at 87-88 grains and use a filler. Depending on your brass you will probably need to go up couple of grains to acheive your desire velocity. The filler debate has been covered, perform a search for fillers in this forum. I use 1" foam that I punch out at 1/2" diameter and load to 2125+- FPS.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
314Russell,
Please remember it all about regulation with a double rifle, not speed. The 470 will kill all the elephants you want with the load it is regulated for.

If you are looking for reduced recoil find an RL-15 + Dacron or foam filler load that will regulate (duplicate the velocity) in your rifle.

Also do a search for reduce loads on this form. Several DR shooters have posted their cast bullet loads for the 470.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the other posts above, change your powder to R-15 your shoulder will feel the difference. Your velocity is on the high side, drop it to 2100fps if it will regulate there, as Will posted above don't go down to the 2000fps range because of penetration loss.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote