Find
Notify
Tools

Kreighoff DR question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted
I like the K rifles but the cocking mechanism is a stumbling block for me. Can someone tell me how it opperates? And further, it looks like it's in the way of where you place your hand on the grip and could slam into the web of the hand under recoil.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
BOOM sofa

There are several threads discussing (or cussing) the merits (or lack of) of the K-Gun. Some are very recent, so you may want to refer to those if you do not generate enough interest from this post.

This is how it operates:
http://www.krieghoff.com/content/view/29/115/

The cocking device is not in the way of your hand. Hold the rifle properly and you will be fine.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Here is how it works;
The Rifle can be carried loaded but un-cocked.
To fire, you push the Cocking/Safety on the tang forward until it catches. The Rifle is now cocked and ready to fire. After firing you can reload and the Rifle is still cocked and ready to fire again. To un-cock you push it forward again and it will return to the un-cocked position. This I'm given to understand is the difference between The "K" and a Blazer. I like the way the "K" works as you can carry it over your sholder without worrying if a tree branch or something will release a standard push safety. Also after firing and reloading it is still cocked for any follow up shots if needed. Hope this helps. coffee

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cocking device does not hit your hand under recoil. It operates just like a safety on a shotgun except that the amount of pressure required to cock the gun is more than required to move a safety forward. Once cocked and then fired, the gun is still cocked when closed again.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few K guns, and I hunt with Blaser Combo Guns, and a Heym O/U.

Their cocking mechanisms is not an issue for me..

I have never had one uncock by accident.

The more I use them the more I like them...

Just to not tell Mac. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have shot a few K guns, and I hunt with Blaser Combo Guns, and a Heym O/U.

Their cocking mechanisms is not an issue for me..

I have never had one uncock by accident.

The more I use them the more I like them...

Just to not tell Mac. Big Grin

Don't tell Tony but they don't un-cock by accident, they do it on purpose! Big Grin

The problem is, they don't re-cock on opening ON PURPOSE. The K-gun double does re-cock on opening, after fireing. thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, I was one of the guys that poo-pooed the safety/cocker on the Krieghoff.

But I do not find it any sort of impediment to quick operation, and it is much safer when carried by a gunbearer.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In a very big way the fact that the Blaser doesn't re-cock it's self after opening for any reason. In fact if the rifle is loaded, and opened it is automatically de-cocked. If that opening is to un-load the rifle that is OK, but if you fire one or both barrels on an animal that is taking issue with your having poked a hole or holes in him, and those shots don't do the trick, when open the rifle for the re-load, and slam the rifle shut, you better remember to re-cock the rifle, that is if you actually have time to re-cock it.

The K-gun on the other hand, when you cock the rifle, and fire one or both barrels, and break for a re-load , and close the action it is ready to fire, with only the pulling of the triggers. To me in a tight spot that is a significant difference in the two. A difference that may cost you your life. I will not even use a double rifle with an automatic safety, much less one that automatically de-cocks it's self in the middle of a fight with a cape buffalo. Most makers advise against an automatic safety on DGR doubles!

Here is a quote from the Merkel owners manual:

" OPERATION OF THE DOUBLE RIFLE "SAFETY" MECHANISM
The double rifle safety mechanism is located on the tang of the receiver assembly just in front of the butt stock on the top side. Some Merkel double rifles are equipped with automatic safeties, i.e. the safety is automatically engaged each time the breech is opened.
Double rifles in 375 H&H, .416 Rigby, or .470 Nitro Express are not equipped with automatic safeties because they are designed for dangerous game when the need for a quick reloading and follow-up shots are critical"
It then goes on to explain how safeties are supposed to work, but you can see the rifle maker doesn't recommend an auto safety for any rifle used for dangerous game. The auto safety that actually not only puts it on safe, but de-cocks the rifle as well, is not my idea of a good feature!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
The K-gun on the other hand, when you cock the rifle, and fire one or both barrels, and break for a re-load , and close the action it is ready to fire, with only the pulling of the triggers. To me in a tight spot that is a significant difference in the two. A difference that may cost you your life. I will not even use a double rifle with an automatic safety, much less one that automatically de-cocks it's self in the middle of a fight with a cape buffalo. Most makers advise against an automatic safety on DGR doubles!

clap

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't we move on to a less controversial topic.....like CRF vs Pushfeed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
But don't call the K manager up there in Pennsylvania. First, you get the third degree from the receptionist as to why you, as a mere mortal, would want to waste the time of the Supreme Leader, and then you get voice mail. Apparently DR's are a pittance in the K world, because the guy never calls back!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"why you, as a mere mortal"

Tell 'em your name is Joshua, of the House of David!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Okay, I was one of the guys that poo-pooed the safety/cocker on the Krieghoff.

But I do not find it any sort of impediment to quick operation, and it is much safer when carried by a gunbearer.

So, does that make you half cocked? That WOULD explain a lot.....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
With just a little bit of practice, it is easy to get acclimated to the cocking device on the Kreighoff and I think they are indeed safer then than the traditional safety on most double rifles. Krieghoff makes a great gun and it is a good value as well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K-guns are reliable and well built doubles. To me, the safety/decock is a non issue.....very easy to get used to and really not hard to move forward at all. I can tell you that it certainly beats un unchambered round that I've heard some PH's requiring...both in bolts and doubles. No thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for great input.

quote:
Originally posted by Will:
But don't call the K manager up there in Pennsylvania. First, you get the third degree from the receptionist as to why you, as a mere mortal, would want to waste the time of the
Supreme Leader, and then you get voice mail. Apparently DR's are a pittance in the K world, because the guy never calls back!

I did call them and they were extremely helpful. When the service person could not answer my questions she put me thru to Manager of Tech. Operation who took time to explain in detail some features and sent a slew of photos. He went into depth about the cocking feature so that I'm at ease with it now.

If I do decide on getting a K gun I think I'll be very happy with it.

Again, thanks all.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
What calibre[s] are you thinking about?

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm leaning toward the 450/400 3"

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a .500/416- nice gun. Just swoped it for a .375 FL today. The .375 has a nicer balance to it. Never had a chance to hold a .450/400 BUT if it has the same feel and balance to it as the 500/416, I would go with the more modern cartridge. The only reason to choose the 450/400 would be if they have used slimmer barrels and got the balance closer to the .375FL

My 500/416 shot both 410grn Woodleighs and 300grn Barnes TSX extremely well. Also shot cast 400grn bullets at 1600fps to point of aim and regulated fine for practice.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, what load did you use for your cast bullets? Mine seem to shoot low, but I haven't shot them in a while and really need to get out and practice some more, as long as they shoot closer to point of aim.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 grns 4457. Started at 35 grns and worked up until it was shooting close enough to a) use on pigs on a driven hunt and b) use for all except the 75m target on the zim PH shoot. 50grns is way too much...would think consider 45 as maximun.

as always, my rifle proved true. take the load for the 410grn bullets, leave power charge the same ans seat a bullet 25% less (ie 300grn) and it will regulate. It more or less did - needed to drop down 3grs to get it perfect

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
BUT, it shoots great and doesn't kick enough to prevent you from shooting 20 rounds or more at one sitting. Try that with a 470 or 500 and a few rounds will do you.

The most rounds I put through my 470 K-gun in a sitting was 32. Recoil-wise I could easily shoot 50 plus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfats:
quote:

I'm leaning toward the 450/400 3"

That would be a PERFECT CHOICE IMHO.

I would have it scoped with a 1 to 4X Swarovski or S&B, illuminated reticle, with QD mounts.

I have taken a lot of game with a 450/400 double rifle, including deer, pigs, caribou, black bear, warthog, zebra, cape buff, lion and elephant.

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger today and ordered a Krieghoff Big Five in 450/400

Was suprised to see the usual reloading suppliers are backordered on Hornady 400 SP bullets???

Any recommendations on handloads will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a K gun in 450-400; they seem to use the same barrel profile for everything and it is fairly heavy for the caliber (11.8 with scope)

Yeah, it is absurd that for a gun that costs that much money that they can't figure that out. Quite pathetic that they ignore that or just figure the customer is too dumb to know.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have a K gun in 450-400; they seem to use the same barrel profile for everything and it is fairly heavy for the caliber (11.8 with scope). BUT, it shoots great and doesn't kick enough to prevent you from shooting 20 rounds or more at one sitting. Try that with a 470 or 500 and a few rounds will do you.

A 450/400 at nearly 12 pounds! No wonder it doesn't kick. This shows the fallacy of putting a scope on a double. Too much weight!

dpcd, pull the scope off that Krieghoff and buy yourself a nice little .375 Ruger to pair with it and put the scope on the Ruger.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, and your S2 weighs how much, without scope?? Over 11.5lbs if I remember correctly.

Why do some think that because a 450/400 has a smaller bore than a 450/470 cal double that they should weigh 3 lbs less???

They both do the same job.

So IMHO if a 450/400 weighs the same as a 470, and is thus, much more plesant to shoot, and thus the hunter shoots it better, what is the problem???

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2:

The problem is that on a hunt, you carry it a lot more than you shoot it. Granted, my S2 is pretty heavy but then again, it's a .470, not a 450/400. That's a lot more gun. Frankly, it's too heavy to put a scope on it but I wouldn't do that anyway because I just don't care for a scope on a double. The 450/400 is a very modest cartridge and in my view, a rifle in that caliber ought to weigh no more than ten to ten and a half pounds MAX! My Kreighoff without a scope in .500/.416 weighs in at around that weight and I think that is about perfect.

This really shows the "problem" if you will of scoping a double. Because of that extra barrel, they start out heavier than their bolt rifle counterparts. Think about it. Would you buy a .404 Jeffery that weighed nearly twelve pounds with a scope? Probably not. You would want it to come in at around ten pounds right? Why make your 450/400 weigh as much as a .500 NE?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would want it to come in at around ten pounds right?

A sissy 404 Jeffery? How about 7 and a half pounds? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
My first outing with the K 450-400 3" to the range yesterday. Put several loads thru it and this one it seemed to like real well. Distance is 50 yards with Hornady solids and RL19 at 2100 f/s.

Glad I decided on the Krieghoff.

Jim

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Pretty darn good shooting. And beautiful wood too.

In my limited experience my K 470 is a consistently accurate and repeatable shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you got Peabody rifles?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote