New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 max load update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So after some more experimentation today this is where I'm at.

I started by crimping all my loads- this brought the velocity up some.

Now 93 grains of r15 chrono's@ 2100 to2140- average of 6 shots was 2131fps- crimping seems to have brought the mean velocity up by 30fps.
I moved today out to 50 yards and shot fast enough that my barrels were always warm- this may also have had something to do with the 30fps gain.

Right barrel groups right on POA (4 shots touching right on the cross in the center of the bull- 3 woodleigh softs with 93grains and 1 woodleigh solid norma factory load)- to say I am tickled pink with this is a gross understatement.

Left barrel is still 3" to the left-group is a bit larger-maybe 2-3" for the 4 softs and the solid is 1.5" to the right- crossed with the solid from the right barrel

All the stringing is horizontal- 12 shots total have a vertical spread of less than 2 ". The norma factory shells were the only ones that crossed- and they were @ about 2200fps.A composite group of the solids is about 1.5-2"in diameter but crossed.

I think I am close enough to be more than confidant on buffalo- I can off the sticks put 10 shots onto a 6" dinner plate easy at 50 yards- mixed solids and softs- for me with express sights it probably won't get a lot tighter than that.I am now fairly well resigned to the fact that I am going to have group separation of about 3" horizontally -and I think I can live with that

I also tried some h4831sc- 108 grains with winchester magnum primers,norma brass and woodleigh softs-chrono'd @ 2060 to 2080fps, group was about the same as r15- right barrel right on poa, left barrel 3" left.the only difference was these groups were 3" low @ 50 yards

I think I might try 110 grains of h4831sc just to see if the groups come up any and if the left moves in any. As well as 94 grains of r15 just to see if it moves the left barrel in any.

I am really thinking that these winchester primers are the cause of my lower velocity's- Until I can beg, borrow or steal some 215's I won't know for sure but that is my supposition at this point. I am seeing low velocitys with both h4831 and rel15. Velocitys are fairly consistant day to day, just always on the low side.My brass is stretching about .005+/- per firing, neck of the case is sooty, primer pockets are tight- I think all is well on the pressure side of things.

I am starting to see why you guys like these things so much- I have definitely improved my stance and am dealing with the recoil much better- 12 shots today in 15/20 minutes and I'm not bleeding or bruised anywhere Big Grin

Many thanks to New Guy & Bill73 for their time on the phone and all the helpful advice they were both so kind to freely give.
Anyone with any more suggestions on how to move the groups together I would gladly give a try other wise I'm just going to take the damn thing and go kill stuff bigger than 3" across Big Grin
Dan

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
Anyone with any more suggestions on how to move the groups together I would gladly give a try other wise I'm just going to take the damn thing and go kill stuff bigger than 3" across Big Grin
Dan

It sounds like it still wants more velocity.

If the rights are on the right and the lefts on the left at 2131, and they are crossing at 2200, then your "sweet spot" is somewhere in between.

I've seen factory federal run from less than 2,000 fps to over 2,200. If your rifle was regulated with a faster lot (which it sounds like), then it wants more than 2131, and less than 2200.

I would definitely try to get my hands on some 215s though.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,
Thanks again for your time on the phone yesterday.
Regarding the velocity I think the same thing- I'm hoping 94 grains is the magic #- it certainly shows promise in the right barrel with that one hole group- did I mention I was happy with that? Wink

I have just about exhausted all my options for federal primers- I have a few buddies that load for .338's I'm going to give a call tonight and see if they have any laying around.

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
notlin

I am sure you know this BUT if you do start loading Fed 215's or get a different lot of RL 15 reduce your powder charge... a bunch and work back up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote