New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti, once again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought some of you would like to know this: Some time back, I inquired about a Sabatti .500 at Idaho Cabelas, and was told that it was no longer available; that it had been sold. Now, the other day, I saw the same rifle available again at same store, so I again inquired, and, for good measure, asked why it was returned. Idaho store responded, saying that, indeed, it was rifle I originally inquired about, having been previously sold, but that it was returned, and Cabelas sent it to the "Sabatti repair" center, but, due to my latest inquiry, upon inspection, they found it still had the oval muzzle crowns, muzzle grinding issues. They said that they were removing it from the sales websites. Obviously, Cabelas is STILL trying to have the so-called "Sabatti repair" center correct these problems we all now know about, but they continue to be dealing with smoke and mirrors from that repair facility, probably the Florida importer. one can only wonder how long cabelas will continue to engage in this game with that repair facility.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I am curious if they were trying to sell it as a new or used gun? Not that I'm interested in the gun, just inquirying about their policies and how they are representing it.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I am not in the least bit impressed with Cabela's handling of the Sabatti issue,it seems thay are just turning the same guns around and around,it's buyer beware for sure!there are so many of them for sale on their website,they must really think the buyers are complete idiots!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Cabela's got suckered into a contract with Sabatti to buy a certain number of guns. To be a sole distributer I guess you would have to.
Now the question is: Who was the idiot that knew nothing about double rifles that approved the contract?

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hunteratheart
To answer your question: Cabelas, in listing this particular rifle, said nothing about its being new or used. I think that, since it was returned to their "Sabatti repair facility," that the problem with it had been addressed, so they may not have even looked at it; just posted it for sale again. I recognized it as being one I inquired about a few months ago, and was told at that time that it had been sold. Seeing it again, on internet postings, I inquired about it again, mentioning my earlier inquiry, their telling me that it had been sold, etc., and asked why it had been returned after being sold. In response, Cabelas said that the rifle was sent to their "Sabattit repair facility," when it was returned to them from the first buyer who returned it to them. With my inquiry, they looked at the rifle, and told me that they found the oval, ground muzzles to be same as they were prior to sending them to the "repair facility," so they said that they were removing it from the sales postings. Finally, in last note sent to me, they said that they were waiting to hear directions from Cabelas Corporate Headquarters, as to what to do with the rifle. I emailed them one final note, saying that Cabelas Headquarters must address this sort of problem with their Sabatti rifles, if they expect to continue future sales. They said that they agree 100% with everything I said. I mentioned that I thought that their "Sabatti repair facility" was probably their Florida importer, and that problem needs to be corrected too, for that "repair facility" is not really correcting these problems at all. They agreed with everything I wrote them, Bottom line, will they correct this problem, or just let Sabatti sales slide? Many months ago, I wrote to Cabelas Corporate Headquarters and told them that these issues need to be corrected, or they risk losing considerable number of sales of Sabatti rifles, so I know that they are aware of the whold situation.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I think numerous people have brought to light the shortcomings in how Cabelas is dealing with these rifles and the repairs. There aren't just isolated incidents. Unfortunately, and despite the "protests", I see nothing Cabelas has done to rectify the situation. Their only redeeming quality seems to be the customer service provided when dealing with issues. I have a strong feeling they will let things slide and when the exlcusivity contract is up, we'll see them (Sabattis) start to wain down.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quick search of Cabelas Gun library shows 112 Sabatti's in stock.
I would guess the word is out these rifles should be avoided.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
I think numerous people have brought to light the shortcomings in how Cabelas is dealing with these rifles and the repairs. There aren't just isolated incidents. Unfortunately, and despite the "protests", I see nothing Cabelas has done to rectify the situation. Their only redeeming quality seems to be the customer service provided when dealing with issues. I have a strong feeling they will let things slide and when the exlcusivity contract is up, we'll see them (Sabattis) start to wain down.

Does anyone know when Cabela's 'exclusivity' runs out on the Sabatti line?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
When I originally contacted EAA back in December\January last year, they told me that Cabelas had a 2 year exclusivity deal but I didn't ask when that officially started.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking don't we convince Cabelas to sell us the member of Accuratereloading to buy the Sabatta double rifle at a group rate,and we do the mods.think about this.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There has been a lot of discussion of these rifles on AR but the majority of Cabelas' shoppers have never even heard of accuratereloading.com. I would also venture to guess that the majority of people that purchased these rifles took them home, shot them, and accepted them just as they came. Cabelas has thirty-four stores and another five on the way. I look at that 112 rifles Snowwolfe counted and that indicates to me that they have been selling quite well. There is a great big world out there beyond Accurate Reloading. I would not be surprised to find Cabelas has sold scores and scores of Sabattis that forum members are not aware of. My guess is, all considered, the Sabatti double rifles have been a success for Cabelas.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a double rifle but could not justify the price of one for occasional whitetail use. I will never go to Africa to shoot dangerous game for several reason. I heard in 2010 that a
reasonably priced double was being offered through Cabelas. I went and look at one,only had the 45/70 at the time. Next I googled double rifle
discussions. AR and Nitro Express came up and the education began. My local Cabelas had 5 rifles, all different calibers, at the begining of this summer. Some had the crowns dremmeled,
they have been sold. The two remaining are a 45/70 and a 470 NE.The 470 has unground barrels
the 45/70, it appears the left barrel has been hit. They are selling them, many to folks like me.I would not have know about the regulation
issue if I had not gone online and listened to your reports. I am hoping if they continue selling them they will regulate them without the chop shop technique being used now.