New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cerakote?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After five safaris, my Searcy BSS rifle is showing wear and freckling from African style carry.
I'm considering Cerakote as an alternative to rebluing. I'm told it can be made somewhat glossy, with a look not unlike rust bluing.
It's a working rifle, not an H&H Royal.
Has anyone done this, or seen it done on a double? Impressions?

Posts: 1980 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have cerakote on my AHR rifle - after 4 safaris it wearing out in places. I am very hard on my guns when i hunt and my last safari in Burkina was even harder (the way the guns are attached on the truck). I like cerakote on my bolt rifles.

Not sure if I want it on a double - it is a little thicker than ordinary blueing. Very durable.

Hope the info helps,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is paint, regardless of what the advertising says. ("coating") If you want to paint your DR, it will prevent rust. It will never look exactly like rust blue. It is a good alternative to bluing if you don't mind that your rifle is "coated" with something (paint). Of course, none can be put on the working surfaces like the frame/barrel face/ water table as it does have a thickness.

Posts: 17146 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
After five safaris, my Searcy BSS rifle is showing wear and freckling from African style carry.
I'm considering Cerakote as an alternative to rebluing. I'm told it can be made somewhat glossy, with a look not unlike rust bluing.
It's a working rifle, not an H&H Royal.
Has anyone done this, or seen it done on a double? Impressions?

I'm having this finish put on. New custom rifle build. It can be made to look virtually like rust blue when done properly. Contact Dan Atwood or Gary Heaton at ACR in Chickamauga GA, some of the best. Their number is 706-891-6603

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The more I hunt the more I like the patina guns acquire that have been hunted and used in the field. I would be inclined to leave it alone and enjoy the character it has acquired.

Mike

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The more I hunt the more I like the patina guns acquire that have been hunted and used in the field. I would be inclined to leave it alone and enjoy the character it has acquired.

Good point

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marty:
After five safaris, my Searcy BSS rifle is showing wear and freckling from African style carry.QUOTE]

That my friend is referred to as "character". It is a very good thing on a mans rifle. Not only would I leave it be, I would reflect fondly on all the adventures it has been through to get to this condition. Only rookies have shiny new equipment!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Marty, think about Buzz's old .416 Rigby. That rifle is basically devoid of bluing, the stock is battered and scarred, etc. It would be crime against nature to restore and refinish that rifle. I would pay twice what a new rifle would cost to buy that rifle.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines: I would pay twice what a new rifle would cost to buy that rifle.

Buzz is looking to acquire a new rifle/two with that comment dancing

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines: I would pay twice what a new rifle would cost to buy that rifle.

Buzz is looking to acquire a new rifle/two with that comment dancing

LOL. I felt confident in making the offer that there is no reasonable price at which Buzz would sell that rifle.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

And it is a terrible disease I suffer from. Buying a 375H&H CZ and having it custom finished by AHR I decided to leave on the factory stock. After 4 safaris and a fair bit of shooting I cannot get myself to send the gun back to Wayne to get it fitted with a custom stock. I am attached to my beat up rifle. I should have got the custom stock when I bought the rifle. The idea of banging up the factory stock and then getting a custom stock was no a very bright choice on my part.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote