New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 or .600 NE..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You people who own these rifles.....what are the pluses and minuses of these calibres..?

Yes the .600 is heavier, ammo heavy bulky and expensive etc.

I have a .475 NE but have lusted for one of these heavies for many years...I love Cals J. Wilkes and prefer the old english ones....but reality speaks VC I guess..

I have a preference for the .600 NE myself....and I see these calibres as elephant only..

Those with ACTUAL HUNTING EXPERIENCE with these rifles, please argue...!!

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Pondoro:
Great choice in a name, by the way.
The .600 is the biggest and best in my opinion but not practical nor is it really needed. Elephants, yes, but I also use my Wilkes on plains game as I like to hunt with it. To carry a near 16-pound rifle all day is a chore and the ammo is heavy, too. The V-C is a great choice and an excellent value for the money. Jerome and Ken will give you a bespoke rifle for a fraction of the cost of a vintage .600 (if you can find one).

One poster on AR wrote a short time ago the .500 was the best compromise between weight and power and I agree with that. That said, what we need and use and what we want are two different things. If you plan to travel with your .600 the weight restrictions will limit you to 40 rounds. That is more than enough for a hunt but not enough for a shoot where everyone wants to take a shot with your rifle!

Lat of all, have you seen my book on the .600s?
Cheers and good luck in whatever you do.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I have your excellent book....thats when the sirens of the .6oo started to call.. hilbily

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both , a Webley & Scott 577NE and a A.Francotte 600NE .

I personaly prefer the 577NE , the rifle is not smaller , but the cartridge is more versatile and there are opportunities to get a old one . A old 600 NE for a "cheap" price is nearly impossible to get .

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only vintage I know of right now is a Jeffery .600 for sale by Fred Roberts in Australia...$52.000....a lot of money..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grandveneur, do you have any pics of your rifles..?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken (KEBCO) has a 600 Verney Carron double for $26,125 and a couple 577 doubles as well in the $16,000 range. Go on www.gunsinternational.com and search under Rifles-Dangerous Game-Doubles.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Which ever you pick, will you use CEB, NF or GSC
Flat Tip banded solids on your elephant, or some
other bullet?

What is MOST important to YOU?

- Vintage rifle that's actually been used to kill
elephant in THICK vegetation "back in the day"?

- Ready to hunt as soon as you receive it,
(SEE THE THREAD DOUBLE TROUBLE!)

- Just the right "fit" for your body dimensions

- cost of acquisition and ammo

- depreciation or appreciation

- emotional affinity for the 600 over the 577

- other

I WOULD BET MY HOUSE, THAT WITH EVERYTHING ELSE BEING
EQUAL EXCEPT FOR CALIBER, 577 VS 600, THAT AN ELEPHANT
SHOT WITH EITHER WILL HAVE A REACTION THAT IS WITHIN 1%
OF THE OTHER ROUND'S RESULT.

No experience so I ask your forgiveness for piping up... wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
other bullet?

- other

As long as the Elephant is not shot with a Woodleigh solid. In that case the bullet will turn once it enters the skull, veer horribly off course and you will for certain loose both your Elephant and the trophy fee.

rotflmo

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

As long as the Elephant is not shot with a Woodleigh solid. In that case the bullet will turn once it enters the skull, veer horribly off course and you will for certain loose both your Elephant and the trophy fee.

I think if you hand load a Woodleigh soft Backwards that won't happen!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
other bullet?

- other

rotflmo

Yeah, Probably!! stir

sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh hell man, get both . They make fantastic squirrel guns!

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have your heart set on a 600 NE. Therefore, you won't be completely happy with anything else. As NIKE says, JUST DO IT! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
577NE, or 600NE are both double rifles, and that is reason enough to buy either one!

I've never owned a 600NE double, but have owned a couple of 577NE doubles. I found the gain over a 500NE, in practical terms, was not enough to negate the draw-back of weight, recoil and lack of liveliness of feel in the overly large rifles.

Of course that is only one person's opinion, and not a reason others shouldn't own either of these rifles. Cal Pappas owns both and some even larger, and he enjoys owning them and shooting them, and even has a pair of books published about the 600NE, and the English bore rifles.

Since you already have a 475NE double you understand double rifles so you are not going in blind here, and I doubt I could tell you anything you are not already aware of.

There are a few here who own and shoot the ultra big bore doubles and single shots, so no matter which you choose you will have plenty of friends to discuss their use here!

Good luck with your choice. tu2

................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a .600 double currently beeing made in Italy for a norwegian customer, it will be delivered in the white and be stocked and regulated by my gunsmith...I look forward to handle it and will beg to testfire it..

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Oh hell man, get both . They make fantastic squirrel guns!

That's what I did.

But I like my 600 better Big Grin

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

I've never owned a 600NE double, but have owned a couple of 577NE doubles. I found the gain over a 500NE, in practical terms, was not enough to negate the draw-back of weight, recoil and lack of liveliness of feel in the overly large rifles.

THIS!!

Mac, you can call that at least two guys' opinions, 100%!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 577's and only have shot the big6. I love the thump of the 577 but the weight of the gun gets in the way of either for me. 13+ pounds is a commitment to hunt with. I have a VC right now and it is a wonderful double. My 577 is right at 14lbs but is very easy to shoot. My Searcy was 13lbs--the VC seems to shoot a lot softer.

If I built a gun tomorrow I would build a 10.5-11lb 577 2 3/4 650 gun and regulate it with CEB 650's. not traditional but fun.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I built a gun tomorrow I would build a 10.5-11lb 577 2 3/4 650 gun and regulate it with CEB 650's. not traditional but fun.

Sir,

With confidence would you face a Jumbo charge with the above?
Also would you take it into the thick jess and shoot a Jumbo in the head at 5-10 feet?

Honest questions. No attempt to be a wise guy on my part.
Just asking about how you view the 650 grn CEB #13 Solid.

D/R Hunter

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sir,

Also would you take it into the thick jess and shoot a Jumbo in the head at 5-10 feet?

I realize this question was not asked of me, but I do have a personal answer for the question. Though I do like the idea of a 577NE 2 ¾ over the full power 577NE 3 in. I would rather go into the weeds with an elephant with a 500NE than either of the 577s .

I’m thinking of building a 577NE 2 ¾ as we speak but it will be mostly a fun rifle to play with, more than an elephant rifle. I would not hesitate to take buffalo in fairly open bush with it however. I believe the 570gr solid will penetrate better than the 750 gr. Of the 577, and the 2 ¾ 577 being the same diameter but lighter bullet of 520 to 650 grs being a 585 diameter and slower than the 500NE with it’s .510 dia, 570 gr solid at 2100 fps which is a far better choice IMO especially for elephant!

Like you I don’t think I would have the comfort level with the 2 ¾ as I would with the 3 in 577NE and would rather have the .500NE 3 in. that either of them.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but that would be my choice!

..................................................................... sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
quote:

Sir,

I realize this question was not asked of me, but I do have a personal answer for the question. Though I do like the idea of a 577NE 2 ¾ over the full power 577NE 3 in. I would rather go into the weeds with an elephant with a 500NE than either of the 577s .

I’m thinking of building a 577NE 2 ¾ as we speak but it will be mostly a fun rifle to play with, more than an elephant rifle. I would not hesitate to take buffalo in fairly open bush with it however. I believe the 570gr solid will penetrate better than the 750 gr. Of the 577, and the 2 ¾ 577 being the same diameter but lighter bullet of 520 to 650 grs being a 585 diameter and slower than the 500NE with it’s .510 dia, 570 gr solid at 2100 fps which is a far better choice IMO especially for elephant!

Like you I don’t think I would have the comfort level with the 2 ¾ as I would with the 3 in 577NE and would rather have the .500NE 3 in. that either of them.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but that would be my choice!

In short--yes I would. I think a well placed 650 grain mono solid at 1950 would kill an elephant dead"er" than dead,but that was not my purpose with the 2 3/4...

Ed

..................................................................... sofa

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Pondoro:

I don't have any African experience but I do have experience with double rifles and have read plenty about this subject. For the visiting elephant hunter the biggest double you would ever need is a 500, especially with the strides that have been made in bullets in the last several years. You just can't beat a North Fork of CEB solids. But the 577 and 600 are great guns and if you can handle the additional weight, I say go for it. Me, I lust for a VC 577 just to have to shoot at the range. It would be far to heavy for me to carry now. Todd scoffs at me but my favorite hunting double is a dainty little 9,3X74R. With the right bullets, it will do all I need to do with a double now.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
577NE for me Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote